etching primer over POR15.....

-

71Scamper

Mopar runs thru my veins!
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience using an etching primer over POR15 and then laying paint over? I don't want to use POR15's "special" etching primer.

Follow the manufactures recommendation for top coating or you are just pissing in the wind.

see now thats the problem. I called POR15 to ask what was so special about their own etching primer. The tech told me I really dont even need to use etching primer and to just lightly scuff the surface of the POR15. So if he's telling me that then I bet there's nothing too special about their etching primer.

So with that said, anyone have experience using another brand of etching primer over the POR15 then painting over that?

I don't think painting over the POR15 is as much of a problem as the POR15 sticking to the surface of the car

I don't think painting over the POR15 is as much of a problem as the POR15 sticking to the surface of the car

I had no problem with that. If you use prepsol on the bare metal surface it will stick no problem. You could use the POR15 prepsol but its no different than the stuff at your local auto body supply joint.

No one has never painted over POR15?

I sanded the por 15 till all the shine was gone then top coated it with epoxy primer and the finish as you want.

Mine stuck good for about 10 years then it seemed to just flake off all over. The new product by the X inventors of POR15. Is (Chassis Saver) Try it. You may like it a lot better. Sticks to anything paint right over it.

I used the por15 brushed on the inside of frame rails behind the quarter panels ,etc. Any area that is exposed and gonna be seen I am sandblasting to bare metal and then starting with an etch, then with 2k primer and finally a sealer.
I used to work in a paint store and saw to many paint jobs with adhesion problems from lack of proper prepping of the surface .
Usually the por15 is used because people think it is something that can just be brushed on with little or no prep.
I wouldn't personally paint over it myself if you want no problems down the road

Mine stuck good for about 10 years then it seemed to just flake off all over. The new product by the X inventors of POR15. Is (Chassis Saver) Try it. You may like it a lot better. Sticks to anything paint right over it.

Too late now. Already sprayed my chassis with the POR15

Too late now. Already sprayed my chassis with the POR15

A friend of mine is heavy into 59-63 impalas (I like the 59 cats eye one) and does frame off stuff. He uses spray por 15 and before it dries he hit's it with epoxy so that it's easier to paint over. I haven't ever heard of any of his work coming back on him in the last 15 years, and he's got some picky people he's doing resto work on. I asked him why he did it that way and he said it bonds to the por 15 better since it wasn't already cured and no sanding. I personally have not tried this way, I am chicken to try :glasses7:

What does it say on the tech sheet? There is your answer.

That's the problem i'm getting mixed answers even from POR15 themselves. The tech line told me to just scuff and paint right over. but then again their own etching primer says it offers the best adhesion possible for paint. So what do I believe?

A friend of mine is heavy into 59-63 impalas (I like the 59 cats eye one) and does frame off stuff. He uses spray por 15 and before it dries he hit's it with epoxy so that it's easier to paint over. I haven't ever heard of any of his work coming back on him in the last 15 years, and he's got some picky people he's doing resto work on. I asked him why he did it that way and he said it bonds to the por 15 better since it wasn't already cured and no sanding. I personally have not tried this way, I am chicken to try :glasses7:

Ive heard the same thing but I already have the chassis coated. I would hate to contaminate the POR15 anyways and have to strip it back off.

I just spray regular primer over still tacky POR15 and then later paint it with any top coat paint.

I bought a can of their etching primer to use over cured POR15, but I haven't tried it yet.

66 auto color told me the same thing. dust a coat of primer or top coat on the por15 when its tacky then top coat when dry

You can do it either way. It will stick really well if POR15 is just a little tacky. You'll be fine with it. Mike

I used POR15 over 25 years ago, still on there today, must have been the original owners back then.. Yet I only done the underneath of the Signet. BTW, and there wasn't any rust to begin with, just done it as a precautionary act of kindness..

-
Back