etching primer

-

silver fox

Reaction score
i've started working on the duster again, with time to do it short i'm thinking of doing one section at a time my question is how much primer would I mix for fender's,hood or trunk lid ect. i'm new at this I don't want to waste or be short thank's for any input

Here is the trick to doing it the way you want to. Mix some up and start spraying. If you don't have enough write down how much you mixed and how much you covered. That way when you need to mix more, you just look at how much you want to cover compared to the first time and adjust your amount accordingly. Nobody can tell you how much you need because everybody sprays different whether the like to admit it or not.

Jack

Epoxy primer is used by most these days. A reasonable rule of thumb is 7oz mixed per body panel, but as Jack pointed out everyone sprays different and for that matter the type of gun you use can also have significant differences in volume used.

I was told by my paint store ...and read on the i'net that etching primer is old school...what folks are using now is epoxy primer...

...for paint to really adhere to it , it has to be sprayed within 24 hours.

I agree with Rob, if you are doing small amounts, why don't you use, a rattle can primer ? I did that until I was ready to do a paint spray and primed again with epoxy primer..

Grassy

as i was told by my body guy after i sprayed epoxy primer.

"The son of a B#*@ that sprayed this epoxy primer is an idiot because its like wiping baby S$#$ off a diaper"

I agreed and pretended it wasn't me till he was done the job when i admitted to it and he laughed and explained that its good stuff to stick to the metal and never come off but not before body work. :)

-
Back