Ever see this on a Core/Freeze Plug?

-

66fyssh

Don't Stop Believin'
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Picked up a 5.9 Magnum yesterday and saw this on a Core plug on driver's side of block. Any idea what it is??

IMG_20190915_105141.jpg

It's a heat sensor plug. The block was professionally rebuilt and the plug will show if the engine has been overheated thus voiding the warranty.

Thanks YR!

I bought it from an individual with no warranty. I'm going to clean it up some today and get it on a stand. Then I'll take my time to ready it for my Barracuda. Plan is to do the swap this winter.

Thanks Mike!! Does the plug come out when it overheats?

Hello 66fyssh,
Just as everyone stated if the engine gets too hot just the center comes out (see pix).
You can get them in different temperatures.
I think at one time GM was installing them on one of there aluminum head product lines but don't quote me on that.
Happy Mopar:)
Arron
freeze plug.jpg

That’s what I like about websites like this. 45 years of tinkering and building engines and I’ve never seen these. Kinda reminds me of the bearing and gear temp sticks I used during my Millwrighting years. We had temp sticks that we would use that melted at different temps. (150-400 degrees) we used bearing heaters for new bearing installs and open gas burners we made for heating gears for rolls and lineshafts.

Thanks Aaron! I've never seen one before but it makes sense. At least they know if the owner overheated it when brought back for warranty!!

That’s what I like about websites like this. 45 years of tinkering and building engines and I’ve never seen these. Kinda reminds me of the bearing and gear temp sticks I used during my Millwrighting years. We had temp sticks that we would use that melted at different temps. (150-400 degrees) we used bearing heaters for new bearing installs and open gas burners we made for heating gears for rolls and lineshafts.

I'm with you! I'm very thankful I found this site back in 2013. All this knowledge and willingness to help is amazing!!

Keeps me interested in the hobby, for sure!

Last edited:
What you might not know, someone else might but doesn't know what you DO know..and that's what's great, sharing.
On the west coast we see many of those buttons on remans. It is hotter over here most of the time so overheating is a problem for many.

Only 2nd time I've seen one. 1st one was yesterday on a thread here about heads.
Great info. Have fun with build fyssh!

Only 2nd time I've seen one. 1st one was yesterday on a thread here about heads.
Great info. Have fun with build fyssh!

Thanks Steve,

It came down to rebuilding the Commando or going 5.9 Magnum. Displacement won out :realcrazy:

But I'm going to use the valve covers and air cleaner (hopefully there will be room) and V-belts and fake the 273!!

Yep the cost per cube on 273 just wasn't worth it for me. Wolf "sheeps" clothing so to speak lol.
Enjoy!
Thanks Steve,

It came down to rebuilding the Commando or going 5.9 Magnum. Displacement won out :realcrazy:

But I'm going to use the valve covers and air cleaner (hopefully there will be room) and V-belts and fake the 273!!

I'm with you! I'm very thankful I found this site back in 2013. All this knowledge and willingness to help is amazing!! Keeps me interested in the hobby, for sure!

Hello 66fyssh,
As with anything on-line there is the good, the bad, and the
ugly.
My bad that was a movie title :)
Any way back to reality,
Its up to all of us on FABO to look at what is posted, then provide clear accurate, factual, information to help guide our fellow members with there questions, comments, and concerns.
The end result hopefully is that someone can use this information to resolve what ever brought them here in a safe, efficient, and cost effective way.
Knowing that, Its always best use this provided information to conduct your own parallel follow up and sift through this information to best suite your needs.
I to find FABO to be a wealth of information and for the most part the FABO community is made of of true, honest, devoted people that share our hobby of classic cars.
Enjoy this wonderful day because life is so short.
Happy Mopar :)
Arron

Yes, also if they even look tampered with, or of course are missing, that also can void the warranty. They come in handy for sure.

Thanks Aaron! I've never seen one before but it makes sense. At least they know if the owner overheated it when brought back for warranty!!

It may be obvious, but that button also tells you your motor wasn't ever overheated beyond what would void the warranty.

It may be obvious, but that button also tells you your motor wasn't ever overheated beyond what would void the warranty.

Found out he got it from a salvage yard but never installed it. Has 60,000 miles on it.

Looking forward to getting it in, but going to wait until winter. Was hoping to copy your build, but for now I'm going with intake, carb, headers, and torque converter. I'll do heads and cam later.

Found out he got it from a salvage yard but never installed it. Has 60,000 miles on it.

Looking forward to getting it in, but going to wait until winter. Was hoping to copy your build, but for now I'm going with intake, carb, headers, and torque converter. I'll do heads and cam later.
Rock on Mopar brother!

Provided it had coolant in it
It may be possible to overheat it without coolant, kill the engine and not leave a mark on the taddler since there was no boiling hot coolant flowing right behind it

-
Back