Ever seen one of these?

-

1968FormulaS340

Reaction score
My grandfather called and asked me to come over and check out this old card he found.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 330
No I have not. That is mega badassary.

That's pretty cool - my Pop got to witness one of the tests in Nevada

yes that is very cool!!!!! it should really be framed to protect it...

my dad had this document like thing, had mermaids all over it from USMC, saying he crossed the equator. I said pretty cool dad, BUT might I ask what did they give you for fighting 4 years un WW11 and ayr. in Korea????

unfortanately he could never talk of any of it. maybe 3 very short times. once was telling me how the new guys that reached their PACIFIC ISLAND BASE WOULD DRINK TOO MUCH COCNUT JUICE AND GET THE RUNS! lol

my dad had this document like thing, had mermaids all over it from USMC, saying he crossed the equator. I said pretty cool dad, BUT might I ask what did they give you for fighting 4 years un WW11 and ayr. in Korea????

I agree with your comment about asking him what he got for four years in WW2 and Korea, but this is the document you were talking about, dealing with crossing the equator. It is to commemorate someone's transition from slimy pollywog into the loyal order of the Trusty Shellback. Sometime when you get a chance, look up on Youtube about "crossing the line" ceremonies. They used to be pretty intense, but have softened up quite a bit in today's "kinder and gentler" Navy.

Here's my copy of the Shellback certificate from 1995.

Attachments

• shellback1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 224
Looks to me like they were at the A-bombs tests dropped on the Bikini Islands in the early 40's where they used decommissioned warships and animals tied to the decks. They were testing the effects of the bombs on ships and animals.

I would guess he was on the Destroyer O'Brien during the tests.

From what I can find out, PHM3 Elder was a Photographer's Mate 3rd Class from Council Bluffs, IA. He served on the USS O'Brien (DD-725) from 1943-1946. Operation Crossroads took place in mid-1946, right before he left the ship. It is hard to fathom the sheer amount of history contained in that one card right there. Thank you for posting this.

From what I can find out, PHM3 Elder was a Photographer's Mate 3rd Class from Council Bluffs, IA. He served on the USS O'Brien (DD-725) from 1943-1946. Operation Crossroads took place in mid-1946, right before he left the ship. It is hard to fathom the sheer amount of history contained in that one card right there. Thank you for posting this.

PHM = Pharmacist's Mate, the rest is about right.

68 Formula , that is an iconic piece of history, and needs to be preserved.....(Thank You!)

I would ask him about his experience and write it down and save it. Verry cool!

PHM = Pharmacist's Mate, the rest is about right.

You're right. I looked it up, and PHM3 would have been a Pharmacist's Mate 3rd Class. The reason for my goof is that I found an old newspaper clipping online from Council Bluffs, and it listed him as a photographer's mate. My mistake.
I'm not a member of the website that had the paper listed or else I'd post a screencap of the newspaper itself. Thank you for sharing part of your grandfather's story. My grandfather would never talk about his experiences in the War.

-
Back