Ever use carb cleaner on your nipples?

-

like_A_pike

that's not factory
Reaction score
NO! not those nipples.... these;

DSC_0023.JPG
DSC_0022.JPG

on a black powder rifle? It worked great!!!

If you don't clean the residue off at the end of the season the entire gun corrodes really fast. Most Civil War re-enactors tell me to just let it "brown up". I guess the Brown Bess was brown for a reason. but that's rust ya'll and I just have a problem with that. Yes I use an 1857 replica for deer hunting kinda weird I know. The state where I started to hunt a smoke pole regulated how it was loaded and only iron sites and I thought these were cool anyway. That was in the mid 90's and the barrel is still shinier than my Barracuda bumpers!
BP.JPG

I've never worried about the deer being scare off by it, they only ever see a big dark hole!

Anyway, can anyone think of a reason why one shouldn't use carb or break cleaner on the metal bits? thanks in advance.

I do it all the time to clean the nipples. but clean mine every time I shoot it.

I do it all the time to clean the nipples. but clean mine every time I shoot it.

Agreed, I clear the barrel and nipple every time it is discharged too but prolly not more than enough to keep the gun operating properly. If I am hunting for several days, I'll leave the same load in and keep the gun outside. After a few days, i'll discharge it and clean up a little better. But at the end of the season I take it all apart to wash down and re-oil everything.

I find carburetor cleaner to be a bit harsh, and how dirty do your nipples get anyway?

I always use genuine Mama's nipple balm, keeps my nipples nice and soft and keeps them from getting chaffed by my wool lumberjack shirt.

A+ Gallery_2.jpg

I will leave mine loaded the whole black powder season which is only 5 days in Al. I just take the primer out of it when I'm done hunting that hunt. And yes I use Brake clean to clean the nipple and a bore snake on the barrel.

-
Back