Ever wanted Overdrive?

-
I haven;t heard anything out of McLeod lately is the 5 speed going to happen still?

Just found out they had a set back and are in the R&D phase

I haven;t heard anything out of McLeod lately is the 5 speed going to happen still?

Just found out they had a set back and are in the R&D phase

i wouldnt expect that thing to be out any time soon...the hype for it is seeming to wear off the more people find out about it, and its taking for ever to arrive as well (not even on the site yet for cryin out loud)

as for overdrive units, i wouldnt put a gv in my car if you paid me...the thing is WAY too much money. Id rather put that money into an overdrive trans even if you have to cut the floor- its just a dart, not a numbers matching hemi cuda, so thers not much to cry about...id go with a stick, but if i was going auto the 4l80 and 200r4 seem like nice choices...id stay away from 4l60's (700r4) since every chevy guy i talk to hates those things with their lives in terms of power handling

i wouldnt expect that thing to be out any time soon...the hype for it is seeming to wear off the more people find out about it, and its taking for ever to arrive as well (not even on the site yet for cryin out loud)

as for overdrive units, i wouldnt put a gv in my car if you paid me...the thing is WAY too much money. Id rather put that money into an overdrive trans even if you have to cut the floor- its just a dart, not a numbers matching hemi cuda, so thers not much to cry about...id go with a stick, but if i was going auto the 4l80 and 200r4 seem like nice choices...id stay away from 4l60's (700r4) since every chevy guy i talk to hates those things with their lives in terms of power handling

I killed 2 4l60's that were in my 98 Camaro. So yeah, I also have a bad taste in my mouth from them.

My best trans ever was a 700r4. It lived behind 670ish hp. Never hurt it, and I'm a ruthless SOB.

If the valve body came out of it like it does in a TF trans, I probably would still be using one. I love that feature of the TF. A transmission is only as good as the skills and knowledge of the builder. I've seen enough quick 1/4 mile passes from each make to know that much.

Now if I can figure out how to make my 518a work like that 700r4 did (and it can!), I'll be happy! I have had enough trouble with it where I could have completely t-56'd this freaking thing already.:angry7:

OK, the first question I ask all my customers when they say they want overdrive for gas milage is "How much gas can you buy for 3,000 dollars?

It also depends on how MUCH overdrive you get for 3 grand. The GV is only a .78 overdrive. Better than nothing, but most overdrive trannys are in the .67 range minimum. If I'm going to spend the money, I want to get the most bang for my buck.

It also depends on how MUCH overdrive you get for 3 grand. The GV is only a .78 overdrive. Better than nothing, but most overdrive trannys are in the .67 range minimum. If I'm going to spend the money, I want to get the most bang for my buck.

With either ratio you'll have to do a buttload of driving to break even on just fuel savings.

Well, maybe it can be justified with the current regime........just how high will gas prices go this time????? LOL How else do ya pay the poor for bein poor??? Someone's gotta "pay" for all the "free" stuff! Free money...free health insurance.....you KNOW the rich are not going to give up a penny so....thats right...the workin mans gotta pay....as usual.....gas at $6 a gallon.....that'll cover it! LOL

But seriously, I here ya!

Can I ask why a 4l80? I've done a few of the 4l60 based conversions and there was no need to completely remove the tunnel. In fact, in the B body conversions, you just need to massage the pinchweld and that's all.

I'm still confused by folks upset with brand X parts in modified cars, but that's another thread.....
why the 4l80? i have a buddy that owns a trans shop and this is what he suggested. more on this later...as far as the removal of the tunnel, the tunnel is just tight on a-body. i have been in touch with someone building an e-body with a 4l80, no cutting was necessary.

Isn't that gonna be kind drafty with that big hole in the floor? :-D:-D:-D

How much you think that setup is gonna cost you in the end?
drafty? might be, but i guess i could always a stack of blankets....how much, well, here is where having a friend that owns a trans shop comes in. i have a 300 gallon aquarium set up that i no longer have a need for, i will be getting the trans and convertor for the aquarium. i found a controller that will work with the fast efi that i wil be running on ebay. controller/harness was $500 shipped, about 1/2 the cost of a new one. both parts looked like they were never used. the quicktime bellhousing was about $550.

OK, the first question I ask all my customers when they say they want overdrive for gas milage is "How much gas can you buy for 3,000 dollars?"

The GV unit is a very good OD. It will take alot of abuse and your combo shouldn't be able to kill it. I haven't done one on an A body, so you might still have some interference with the driveshaft tunnel. As said earlier, you need to pay attention to your cruise rpm vs. converter stall speed. It's not tragic, just something to be aware of.

The Mopar OD's (518s and whatnot) from what I have seen, are pretty big and require surgery to install.

The GM ODs require conversion bells. In the case of the 4l60s and 80s, it's not a biggie. They have bolt on bellhousings to start with. The 200r4, from my understanding needs its bell cut off and a conversion bolted on, or an adapter plate is used. (I haven't done this one on a non GM. I know Art, if you want, I can ask him.)
Seeing how we've seen what it takes to put a 4l80 in a car, I'll guess that one is out.
The 4l60 is a smaller trans, but it stands up well to daily abuse. It will require some cutting in an A body, not huge, but still some cutting.
The 200r4 is the smallest of the OD's. Art Carr can build a really good unit for a very reasonable price. (In the GV neighborhood.) It also doesn't require any external electronics like the 4l60/80. I've put this trans behind the Chevy 572 several times and haven't killed one. It does have the advantage of a lock up converter, too.

Of course, there is always the 5spd sticks......
it is not always about saving gas. 3000+ rpm on the road gets old real quick, for me. my last toy, years ago, was a Ford Ranger 4x4. Put a 302/c4 in it. 4.56 gears and 31" tires= 3300 rpm on the freeway. burnt up 2 motors in 70k miles. the bellhousing on the 4l80e, at least the one I got, was not removable.
i have spoken with several shops about what I will be doing. 572 Hemi, F.A.S.T. EFI on a crossram. Motorguy, Tim at FHO, is saying 800 horse or so, with 650-700 pounds of torque. and this is what starts the problem. I want to be able to take the car to the drag strip and have it perform like it should, but i also want to be able drive the car from my place, an hour+ into town to the cruise spots. i live where most of the roads are 55mph plus, so this would equal alot of rpm on the road. so i need an od. the tko 5 speed, well, no thanks. Tim has had several customers try them, and while they might live behind a crate Hemi for a while, throw another 2oo hp at it and it will die. next choice, the Mopar 518. Doug, my trans guy, just laughed when I mentioned this. Said it would take a boat load of parts to get it to live. Not much available in the way of valvevodies nor convertors. And not a big fan of toggle switches for od/lock up. Final nail was Doug has built a few 518's, cost was high, compared to the 4l80, and they were failure prone. next choice, 727 gear vendors. Spoke with Len at Ultimate Convertor about this. There is a guy in Vegas trying to run a Hemi/727/Gv combo in his Dart that Len is working with. When they get enough stall so the car launches hard at the strip, it slips on the street. The od is keeping the motor at 2200 rpm or so on the road, and there is just not enough fluid in a small convertor to keep it form slipping behind the torque of the Hemi. When a lower stall convertor is used, car wil not launch at the strip. So a compromise must be made. enter the 4l80. only needs a few parts to live at 1200 or so HP. And it having a lock up convertor will solve the stall issue mentioned above. and please keep the lock up convertors are junk comments to your self. Every diesel truck has one nowadays, and they just flat out work. I have one in my Duramax. Have had close to 10k pounds on the trailer and in the bed, full throttle going up Fourth of July/Look out pass in Idaho and have had the convertor lock up without failure. And I will NEVER let the lock up come in my car under full throttle. If you check out http://www.fastmanefi.com/TheMPGPage.htm , this just has me wondering. i have emailed Rich about his, and he said that with the proper tuning of the EFI it is possible, you just need to figure it out. Not to insult anybody, but stepping out of the 1970's in not necessarily a bad thing. Sure this stuff is expensive, but what are you going to do.

The GV will save gas,engine wear and you will gain performance at the track. How many bolts ons can do this? I for one am going this way. The GV unit does need some massaging to fit but not near what most of the gm units will require and not even as much as an aftermarket 5 speed.Plus I really think having a 6 speed auto is cool,lol!

I also think the GV unit can handle more abuse and hp than any of the current 5 speeds.For me this means none of the current 5 speend configurations will stand up to my big block build as they all seem to handle no more than 600 ish hp.

Yes the GV unit does seem overpriced for what it is. It's based on the Laycock/Denormanville od unit used by volvo etc. Some of those units were actually used in factory mopar bb applications behind 440's in that funky european car I cant remember the name of,lol.

The GV will save gas,engine wear and you will gain performance at the track. How many bolts ons can do this? I for one am going this way. The GV unit does need some massaging to fit but not near what most of the gm units will require and not even as much as an aftermarket 5 speed.Plus I really think having a 6 speed auto is cool,lol!

I also think the GV unit can handle more abuse and hp than any of the current 5 speeds.For me this means none of the current 5 speend configurations will stand up to my big block build as they all seem to handle no more than 600 ish hp.

Yes the GV unit does seem overpriced for what it is. It's based on the Laycock/Denormanville od unit used by volvo etc. Some of those units were actually used in factory mopar bb applications behind 440's in that funky european car I cant remember the name of,lol.

haha finally someone who really approves of GV. i agree its rediculously overpriced, but maybe by the time ill actually want to get it, the price could fall. who knows? we can only hope.

my trans buddy has used gear vendors, he has had some issues with them, several of them have failed. years ago, when that is all there was, that is what he was pushing for me to use. but as time has progressed, and the newer automatics have become somewhat user friendly, he no longer pushes them. he has also installed several of the newer 5 speed sticks, most of them have had nothing but troubles. if i were going with a small block, he did say the 518 would not be a bad idea. it is just at higher power levels they are not that reliable. my buddies shop has done alot of stuff for desert racers. 4l80s, a4lds (the really trick 9 speed ones), 4r70w, e4ods. some of these trucks are pushing 6500 pounds and 650 or so hp. has not had many issues with them. it is said that a 2000 mile Baja race equals 100k miles on the street. he has several units that have more than 1 race on them. not trying to be sarcastic, but that is why i have stated to each his own in regards to the od stuff. i know this is a real long shot, but I am hoping that when my car is complete i will be able to drive it from my place here in eastern WA down to Az. and without some sort of od, with a lock up convertor if it is an automatic in it this will never happen. with the chunk of the factory tunnel missing, i am sure that a viper t-56 will fit, not ruling that out some day neither. somebody on here has commented that street/strip cars are all about compromises. years ago this was true, but if you would be willing to step away from the era that our cars were built and use some of todays technology that is no longer true, in my opinion. and while the purists may have issues with all of this, I don't. Cutting up an original 340 car to do this, I would not dream of it. But my car was a slant 3 on the tree. To me there is no harm in it. Short of a full blown race car, it really aggravates me to see cars getting trailered to car shows and cruise spots. Damn it, it is a street car, drive it. Blowers sticking thru the hood look real cool, but what do you do if you get stuck in a rain storm. or do you just not take the car out if there is a cloud in the sky? i am even going to build, or have built, an air filter similar to the ones that came on the 64-65 hemi cars so if i get stuck in the rain it will not be a big deal.....

air cleaner.jpg

I agree 100% Ink. The compromises are really a thing of the past. With the right catalogues or perhaps just great fabbing skills a street strip ride should have no problems doing both. Turbo's also help greatly in this regard,as you can build massive power and still be a daily driver.

Agreed nothing is perfect. Im sure GV has had thier fair share of issues but just the fact they are willing to back it up when your pushing 1000 h.p says lots about thier product confidence.

I think I will be getting more for my money by getting the GV unit.

As for your trans buddy,he must be a good builder. That being said you can build any tranny to withstand the sort of abuse a race car dishes out. All depends on how much your willing to spend and your skills/work habits as a builder.

Maybe by the time Im ready for the GV unit Mcleod will have worked out thier units issues?

I agree 100% Ink. The compromises are really a thing of the past. With the right catalogues or perhaps just great fabbing skills a street strip ride should have no problems doing both. Turbo's also help greatly in this regard,as you can build massive power and still be a daily driver.

Agreed nothing is perfect. Im sure GV has had thier fair share of issues but just the fact they are willing to back it up when your pushing 1000 h.p says lots about thier product confidence.

I think I will be getting more for my money by getting the GV unit.

As for your trans buddy,he must be a good builder. That being said you can build any tranny to withstand the sort of abuse a race car dishes out. All depends on how much your willing to spend and your skills/work habits as a builder.

Maybe by the time Im ready for the GV unit Mcleod will have worked out thier units issues?
in all fairness my friend has used alot of gear vendors in the past. and aside from a few failures, has had good luck with them. problem arises when you are making alot of torque and want to run a loose enough convertor for strip use. a guy I used to work with had one in his Cummins powered Ram, thing had close to 250k miles and never had a problem with it. he towed with it on a regualr basis, usually right at the edge of the trucks capacity, and it never broke. he pulled the gv unit off and installed it on his new truck. my trans buddy is pretty good. he is one of those guys that if something breaks, he does his best to fix the reason why it broke, not just replace the broken part.

sorry guys, but what it all comes down to is money...the guys who say street strip cars are about compromises are the guys who dont have the money for the new technology to swap into their rides

sorry guys, but what it all comes down to is money...
there is some truth in this statement. but i think an equal part of the problem is some people just cant come to grips with the fact that Mopar has not made a transmission that will work for all of us. and these are the same people that, for some reason, dont mind spinning there motor up while driving the car, or worse yet, trailer it because the car does the slow bake out on the interstate from spinning 3500 rpm.

I had the same debate with myself before falling firmly in the GV camp. What made up my mind is that I had to run the atuo with GV.The 5 speeds just wont take what the little 470 will make,lol..:snakeman:

I installed a Tremec TKO-600 5spd. in my Barracuda and I have to say it was the best modification that I made to the car. With a 2.87 first gear, the 3.91 rear end is more like a 4.23 while fifth gear at a .64 ratio lets me cruise the interstate at nearly 70 mph at only 2200 rpm. The overdrive transmission really transforms the car.

there is some truth in this statement. but i think an equal part of the problem is some people just cant come to grips with the fact that Mopar has not made a transmission that will work for all of us. and these are the same people that, for some reason, dont mind spinning there motor up while driving the car, or worse yet, trailer it because the car does the slow bake out on the interstate from spinning 3500 rpm.

my cruising RPMs are what worries me. on my /6 im not too too worried, since there damn near bullet proof (not that i mean i want to beat it up or anything). its my 360 that i plan on putting into the car later. i want it to last as long as absolutly possible. and running an overdrive will help that. yes its expensive, but its does nothing but good, so i say save up and really do your research. if you positive you wanna shell out $3k, do it! if not, dont!

my cruising RPMs are what worries me. on my /6 im not too too worried, since there damn near bullet proof (not that i mean i want to beat it up or anything). its my 360 that i plan on putting into the car later. i want it to last as long as absolutly possible. and running an overdrive will help that. yes its expensive, but its does nothing but good, so i say save up and really do your research. if you positive you wanna shell out $3k, do it! if not, dont!
that is the very reason I want an od. a gv just will not work for me, neither will the 518, so I just had to look elsewhere....

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

The level 3 Mega Viper transmission comes with all four sets of Alto Red Eagle clutches and Kolene steels plus a direct clutch PowerPack, high capacity 5 clutch direct clutch drum, a Fairbanks TransAction Kit, performance 3-4 accumulator spring for a firmer shift into overdrive, high performance low / reverse servo, cast aluminum accumulator piston, performance intermediate servo cover, Mopar 5 to 1 intermediate band apply lever (4.2 gas) giving an extra 31% torque holding capacity in second gear on diesel models, extreme duty brass impregnated carbon fiber flex band and a heavy duty intermediate band strut. A special manual valve allows converter fluid charge in park. It has the stronger Mega Spring for overdrive direct clutch apply with more holding power in reverse, 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The heavy duty / high performance torque converter that comes with this package deal can be ordered in stall speeds up to 2800 RPM for gas motors. The diesel transmission comes with our triple clutch billet converter. This transmission (518, 46 RH / RE) is good for any type heavy duty / high performance use up to 700 (gas) horse power using pump gasoline, towing, 4WD, high performance and others. The Mega Viper transmission has 14 major performance upgrades. All of this can be yours without a trade-in for $2599.00 on gas units and $3571.00 for the diesel or V10 transmission with a triple clutch billet converter. Add $334.00 for a gas single clutch billet converter. Add $100.00 for 1996 up 4WD. The freight runs from free to $165.00 after freight discount in most cases. Click on the pictures below to see the differences between the level 2 Viper transmission and the level 3 Mega Viper transmission.

After building hundreds of our level 2 Viper transmissions over the past few years it's time to go to the next level, the level 3 Mega Viper. This transmission can be built for both gas and diesel applications. This transmission can be installed in the place of a 3 speed transmission in older non-computer cars and trucks for a 30 to 40% increase in gas mileage on the road.

Wanna get really serious???
The level 4 RAMZILLA transmission comes with four sets of Alto Red Eagle clutches and Kolene steels plus a direct 7 clutch PowerPack, high capacity extreme duty 5 clutch billet direct clutch drum (7 clutches with the PowerPack), 7 overdrive clutches - - a 40 to 75% increase in apply area, 5 forward clutches which is 25% more clutch apply area than a 48RE, 22% more total clutch apply area than a 47RE transmission, all three 48RE 6 pinion planet gears, front, rear and overdrive, the .055" thicker 48RE sun gear shell, the one piece Sonnax 300M hard input shaft and hub, a Fairbanks TransAction Kit (48RE has Transgo), performance 3-4 accumulator spring for a firmer shift into overdrive, high performance low / reverse servo, cast aluminum accumulator piston, performance intermediate servo cover, a 5 to 1 intermediate band apply lever (4.2 gas) giving an extra 31% torque holding capacity in second gear on diesel models, extreme duty brass impregnated carbon fiber flex band and a heavy duty intermediate band strut. A special manual valve allows converter fluid charge in park. It has the stronger Mega Spring for overdrive direct clutch apply with more holding power in reverse, 1st, 2nd and 3rd. It comes complete with a deep finned cast aluminum pan that holds 2 extra quarts of fluid. The heavy duty / high performance torque converter that comes with this package deal can be ordered in stall speeds up to 5000 RPM for gas motors. The diesel transmission comes with our triple clutch billet converter with over 200% larger clutch apply area. This transmission is good for any type heavy duty / high performance use up to 800+ (gas) horse power using pump gasoline, towing, 4WD, high performance and others. The diesel version is good for over 1000 torque. The RAMZILLA transmission has 20 major performance upgrades. The best 48RE transmission on the planet can be yours without a trade-in for $5230.00 ($4230.00 with trade-in, see below), the gas 48RE transmission with a 10 inch billet lock-up torque converter or V10 / diesel 48RE transmission with a triple clutch billet converter. Gas or diesel, 2WD or 4WD. The freight runs from free to $165.00 after freight discount in most cases. Click on the pictures below to see the differences between the level 3 Mega Viper transmission and the level 4 Ramzilla transmission.

If you have a 48RE transmission to trade-in, in buildable condition you will receive a $1000.00 trade-in credit less the freight to get it here.

Why won't the 518 work?
how much for a Ramzilla4 that is rated at 800hp? 5230? for that kind of money I can buy a 4l80e, with a brake and convertor, that is rated at 1200 hp.....
http://www.ckperformance.com/resources/GM4L80ETRANSMISSIONS.html
http://www.circledspecialties.com/p-47-gm-258mm-pro-iii-4l80e-torque-converter.aspx
as I said ealier, my trans buddy has build some 518's, and while they worked they were a boat load of money for what you got from one. and the 518 does not have a controller available, the 4l80e has several controllers available, a couple of them will plug right into my f.a.s.t. ecu. so another words, no toggles. the trans will still function electronically. what it came down to, in my situation, was that the 4l80e was a far better choice. my trans buddy wis willing to build me a 4l80, with all the tricks done to it, including the 300m input shaft, 36 element sprag/drum assembly, red clutches, a 5 disc billet/stainless lock up t/c from http://www.tcsperformance.com/ for an old aquarium that I have no use for. if he were to build me the 518 i would have had to given him some additional cash, and i would have gotten an inferior transmision, according to him. for what it is worth, this guy has been in business for 20 plus years. and he is not just some trans shop out in the desert. he has been invloved with countless desert race teams. had his hands in on some Ford R&D a few years back, so i trust what he tells me.....not to mention he stands behind his work. if I ever bust this 4l80e that he is building for me, just pull it out and bring it back to him, no questions asked. no time/mileage limitations.

controller???

"This transmission can be installed in the place of a 3 speed transmission in older non-computer cars and trucks for a 30 to 40% increase in gas mileage on the road."

But hey, that's cool...to each his own. I have no interest, myself, in running an automatic.
You speak of efficiency and cost....the manual has the auto beat on all accounts!

it is not always about saving gas. 3000+ rpm on the road gets old real quick, for me. my last toy, years ago, was a Ford Ranger 4x4. Put a 302/c4 in it. 4.56 gears and 31" tires= 3300 rpm on the freeway. burnt up 2 motors in 70k miles.Not to insult anybody, but stepping out of the 1970's in not necessarily a bad thing. Sure this stuff is expensive, but what are you going to do.

Hey Ink, I get that part. It just gives me a giggle when it's the first thing somebody says about putting in an OD tranny. It's usually the starting point for a dialogue to educate a potential customer.
Knowing more about your project, I see why you are going with the 4l80. It sounds like the ideal trans for what you are doing. Plus you're getting a bitchen deal.

I've used most of these OD units that are being talked about here.
I am in no way a trans expert. I have used the GV unit in multiple applications and haven't killed one. (Nor have I seen trans failure related to converter slippage, but I have seen higher trans temps, so I have drawn my own conclusions.) I'm just thinking there is better technology out there now for the performance we are hoping to acheive. As with anything, there is a place and an application for most equipment. It's more a matter of picking what is right for what you want to do. Kinda like not taking a rocket launcher to a squirrel hunt or a .22 to sink a ship.

-
Back