Everything is Dead

-

wazoo64

Reaction score
Put a bunch of miles on yesterday. Started and stopped ingitiion multiple times. Tried to start today and everything is dead. I thought that maybe I left the radio on or something. Charged the battery and still no response from any part of the electrical system. Alternator is new and recently checked. battery is new.?????Any ideas?

Do the headlights come on? Check all the basics like ground straps and cables, fuseable links especially.

As said before, check all your grounds, plus make sure you have a good connection at your battery. Another thing to check is the main wire that goes to your starter relay and connections at your amp gauge. ahave had a lose connection at the gauge before, and had the same problem

Yes, if the amp gauge breaks you will lose all your power. Or if oyu have a lose connection. I have had thios problem before, Gauge fried and lost all power, and on another one i had the wire come lose ans no power.

OK. I pressed down on the cluster of wires that go into this thing and all systems fired up. How can I avoid this problem without going through a complete wiring harness overhaul?

This website rocks!

The spade connector failure at the junction block is a common mopar ill. They get hot and melt on the main power wire. I usually push both ends of the connectors out of the block and then run a 10 or 12 ga wire through the hole and splice with your favorite style connector (the round all weather type).

BD

I will do it tomorrow. Does anyone have any good pix or diagrams of how to bypass the amp gauge? It would really help a rookie out.

jaws said:

Another www.madelectrical.com to the rescue. I have seen the article a lot since becoming a member. :)

I went ahead and did myself a favor and did the amp bypass. I also upgraded my alternator and wiring from a pre 70 to a 76 alternator and voltage regulator. No more dimming head lights at idle and the cluster gauges light up better now. The charging system is a lot healthier now.

You might should do the same. Good luck.

XakEp, you still fighting with that carb? I thought you were going to put a new one on there. Dave

-
Back