Excessive play in steering wheel ?

-
I still had slop in my steering after I rebuilt it in my duster (tie rods/ball joints/bushings/etc). Turns out it was the worn out steering box. I put a rebuild firm feel "stage 3" in , no slop now.

Special thanks to all you guys. Being new to this Forum, you never know what the overall Vibe of the threads will be. Most of everything you all of mentioned is basically correct. Funny, right after the first guy says Rebuild entire front end, I jump online , priced a kit at $400. (Didn't order it) Jumped on youtube to find a video of someone else doing it. Everything looks straight forward enough. I hesitate when I see the removal of the sway bars. Special tools, don't ding it etc...
But first I am going to check the components as you mentioned, in order and see what I find out.
I am trying to get this into Daily Driver shape by the end of the summer. Right now it is not safe on the freeway, I have to swing back n forth to keep it in the lane.

Also I don't know how fast I am going, nor how much gas I have. But those are a different thread:cheers:

I will report back after I do some more investigating on the steering wheel play,.

Special thanks to all you guys. Being new to this Forum, you never know what the overall Vibe of the threads will be. Most of everything you all of mentioned is basically correct. Funny, right after the first guy says Rebuild entire front end, I jump online , priced a kit at $400. (Didn't order it) Jumped on youtube to find a video of someone else doing it. Everything looks straight forward enough. I hesitate when I see the removal of the sway bars. Special tools, don't ding it etc...
But first I am going to check the components as you mentioned, in order and see what I find out.
I am trying to get this into Daily Driver shape by the end of the summer. Right now it is not safe on the freeway, I have to swing back n forth to keep it in the lane.

Also I don't know how fast I am going, nor how much gas I have. But those are a different thread:cheers:

I will report back after I do some more investigating on the steering wheel play,.

I was having to constantly compensate while driving my duster before I put the rebuilt box in and had a *good alignment* by someone that knew what they were doing. Alignment can go a long way, I learned that the hard way lol

yep thats real dumb.you dont know what tie rods are?yep thats pretty dumb.you need to become more aquainted with your mopar.maybe learn a little about your car.im not trying to burn you down,but come on dude.im going to just say,take it to a shop,if you really dont know what tie rods are,how do you know they are worn?someone tell you?

thats not nice... thought that was rustyratrod replying when i saw it 1st... then realized it wasnt....if you would have said he needed to get a service manual for his car... that would have been him...

another thought, if it sways back and forth on the freeway, until you can get the front end address it might be safer to keep the speed under 55, when you crash the damage wont be as bad as speeds over 55

I am bringing this thread back to life. I am now at the point where I can almost make this car a daily driver. Only thing holding me back is the excessive play in the steering, and I have removed my EBrake and am having issue getting it reinstalled without the rear brakes being completely locked. Another day...

So I have done most of what has been mentioned, car up on jacks, try to push the wheel up, shake wheel while holding steering wheel etc... It appears that my problem is coming at the Steering box on the steering shaft. There is like a little square box, that used to have a rubber boot, which is gone. The shaft turns about 1 inch before it starts to turn the wheels. You mention about inserting some more washers. Could I have some details on how to do that? How to disassemble or ?? While I am at it maybe I can replace the rubber booty? Thanks for your help guys.

There is like a little square box, that used to have a rubber boot, which is gone. The shaft turns about 1 inch before it starts to turn the wheels. You mention about inserting some more washers. .

No do NOT do that. You need to rebuild it if it can be, (not too worn) or replace it. That is called the "steering coupler" You can buy rebuild kits various places, but the pin going through the steering column shaft, if that is worn, you have 'problems'

attachment.php

Check carefully that is where the play actually IS Move the column (upper) shaft and watch closely. Does the shaft going into the coupler turn, without the outer part of the coupler moving? Then that is your play. Look it over carefully.

Thanks for the ideas/. When I turn the shaft, the gear box turns right with it, so no play/slop there. Which means it must be inside the steering gear? Or like the shoes are worn? I can get a remanu steering gear complete with new pitman arm for $100. Or does it make more sense to try to rebuild what I currently have? Considering the booty it gone.

When you turn the shaft, does the pitman arm move with it?

no the pitman arm does not move when the shaft moves, until after about 1.5 inches turn in either direction. that is the slop I am dealing with.

So does this narrow it down to the Steering Gear?

Check steering box bolts (theirs 3 total), make sure all 4 tie rods are tight and have a pin in them, check idler arm bolt where it mounts to k frame..... Thats pretty much all your steering... I like to check like this...u need s helper.... With car off and sitting on the ground, wobble the steering wheel kinda like a slow bounce off the resistance from left to right... Then jus get under your car and see whats moving around.... Check tie rods, pitman arm, idler arm, ball joints, control arm bushings, etc

-
Back