Exhaust clamps for lap joint 1.75?

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
So on the 66 dart 6 cyl, I am about to install a new Dynomax muffler. the existing pipes are all 1 3/4. The new muffler has 2in in and out. I have looked all over summit and I can't seem to find the Lap Band that would do the 1 3/4. Is there some sort of lap band that would reduce the 2in to the 1 3/4? Or maybe is there a fitting that I could put onto the outside on the 1 3/4 pipe to enlarge it to get me a 2 in size so I could use the 2in lap band? Welding is not an option.
Or do I just use the u clamps and crush the hell out of it.? thanks for any help.

you're not going to find a band clap that does a 1/4" gap fill/cover... how come welding isn't an option? there are reducers/adapters out there but you're still going to have to deal with sealing them up... punch this into Google "1.75 to 2 exhaust adapter"

true enough - take the muffler with you and schlep down to the parts store.. bang around the adapter bins until you find something that'll work.. been there, done that. Hell, the counter people will sometimes let you out back to eyeball other options too.. I have purchased an exhaust piece that was meant for X and hacked it up at home to get the elbow or whatever I needed off of it..

maybe i just found something at O'Reilly. made by ROL gaskets? so if I get 2 of these, then get 4 u clamps, I guess I would be set up? Is there any sort of sealer I should use? [+] CHEAP Rol Exhaust 2.00inch I.D. x 1.75inch I.D. Reducer - 548503 For Sale

I cant afford to take car in to have welder deal with it. though the cost of the fittins and clamps going to be about $18.
those (or something like it) should work - no sealer needed if you are going with old school U bolts - just make sure they are tight! problem is of course, that once the pipes are on there with the U bolts - they'll essentially never come back apart.. do they make band clamps that size? Yea, I know, even if they do, the damn things are expensive... tough little situation you got into there

looked it up - they do make band clamps for both 1.75 and 2.0.. I know 4 more clamps adds another 25-30 bucks but in the long run, I think you'll be happier.. the question is, is there enough room for them..?

Yea I am wondering the same thing in terms of room. My existing muffler is 16in long, the new muffler is 14in long. These reducer things, not sure how long they are but I do not think I would have room to then add all the Lap Bands. It is only complicated because I am trying to reuse the exisiting pipes. someday I will probably upsize the entire system, which probably means this new muffler would be ruined. But it was only $70 shipped.

oh boy - you may want to warm up the hacksaw or get a cutoff wheel for your die grinder(?)...?

Interesting cause I do have a question about tools. I dont want the existing pipes to shake like crazy, potentially breaking somewhere these pipes are old. So I have sawzalls, I have cut off wheels, I have hack saws, angle grinder. I want to do all of this while it is under the car, I am not removing the pipes, just cutting the old muffler out. Actually the inlet needs to be cut. the outlet is already clamped.

measure twice - cut once! cut off wheel works like a hot knife through butter - be SURE to draw a guide line.. really easy to get off straight with something that cuts that fast. If you're doing butt joints you'll want to be right on the $$ with your cuts.. if going lap joints you'll have a little "wiggle" room but still will want to get it as close to tight to each butt as possible.. make sense?

This would be my weapon of choice.

2016-05-05 18.34.39.jpg

This would be my weapon of choice.

View attachment 1714931921
Well I completed this job over the weekend. Good tip on using that Tail Pipe cutter, Oreillys had one I rented (for free). I had to do 3 cuts, and I did them all from beneath the car while the exhaust was attached. Not fun, but doable. I ended up using ROL 54850 adapters that fit inside the new muffler, and then outside the existing exhaust pipe (1.75). I then used a pair of pipe clamps on each side, total of 4 clamps. Though I had to reuse one of the clamps that was being used to also attached the muffler to the mounting strip. Funky little L shape fitting that slides under the pipe clamp then you tighten. Unfortunately this fitting is leaking a little since it can not completely seal with that L bracket in there. At least it is working. I did have some issues with the angle of the old pipe and it is causing the muffler to sit a little lower than it should. I will probably end up taking her in and have someone weld everything together. But fully functional.
The adapters I had originally listed in the upper thread are not correct and had to be returned. The ones listed in this post are good.

Hey I know this is old, but I wanted to place an update in case anyone else tries these U clamps etc... My exhaust is leaking out of every fitting connection where I used a U clamp. And I tightened it to the point of it wanting to bend the clamp fitting. So I guess I need to go get it all welded, or in the meantime is there any sort of sealant or tape that I can wrap?

Hey I know this is old, but I wanted to place an update in case anyone else tries these U clamps etc... My exhaust is leaking out of every fitting connection where I used a U clamp. And I tightened it to the point of it wanting to bend the clamp fitting. So I guess I need to go get it all welded, or in the meantime is there any sort of sealant or tape that I can wrap?

Is there any room to slap another U clamp on, clocked 90* ?

-
Back