Exhaust collectors compatibility

-

French demon

Reaction score
Hi all

Are the 170, 198 and 225 exhaust collectors the same and interchangeable?

I would like to replace mine, but here, 170ci engine used parts are more common than those for 198 or 225ci. I also know that there are some minor differences between the 170ci and the bigger slant six.
So, would a 170ci exhaust collector fit my 198ci?

:thankyou:
François

Yes, all the slant six intakes and exhaust manifolds will interchange between the years and engine sizes.

Do you mean the exhaust manifold that bolts on to the engine? Those are the same except for the choke pocket, for all slant six engines.

There are several different choke units over the years. you can see the difference by looking at the pocket. I can't say for sure, but I think you can modify the pocket to match your original pocket, if needed. One caution. Some where in the 1970's they used a "open" (to exhaust ) pocket for a couple of years. Stay away from this manifold. The cup and gasket are not available, and you risk an exhaust leak.

My original '71 exhaust manifold has a "closed" choke pocket and this kind of choke thermostat.
ressort starter.jpg

I will search for a similar one, but now I know that all slant six exhaust manifolds are basically the same.
Thank you very much for all your good advices

François

-
Back