Exhaust Cutouts

-

BlueDream

Aspiring Mopar enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody make reasonably priced 3" exhaust cutouts?! I know there are manual ones but I've heard bad things about them. Electric seems to be where it's at. The other day I heard a 572 Hemi with cutouts and it was freakin SWEET. Do any of you guys run cutouts? and if so, what do you think, are they worth the price?

I bought Summit Racing brand 3" cutouts. I bought their kit with the wiring and everything. I can't tell you about quality yet because I haven't installed them but they were some of the cheaper ones I found.

Electric cutouts aren't at the top of my list because i have tons of other stuff to deal with first. But I have been looking into them for a few months. One thing I keep reading about are the benefits of using a "knife" style vs. a "butterfly" style.
Seems like the butterfly style ones eventually and prematurely have problems closing all the way and have problems sealing. Some don't seal well at all from the beginning. Also, some people don't like how the mechanism occupies space in the tube while in the open position. So, its not fully open. The knife style ones, Doug's seem to be the popular one, fully open and fully shut without any interference in the open position and seal really well. These are the ones I plan to get when I find a pair for considerably less than the $400 to $500 they regularly go for. I'm cheap.

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dougs-Headers-Stainless-Steel-3-Electric-Exhaust-Cutouts-12V-Pair-/380882436644?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58ae5cc224&vxp=mtr"]New Doug 039 s Headers Stainless Steel 3 034 Electric Exhaust Cutouts 12V Pair | eBay[/ame]

Make sure you put them right after the headers.My Dad put them in front of the mufflers on his Hemi and it sounds like a old garbage truck when idleing,so embarrassing.Man he is really losing it.....LOL

Make sure you put them right after the headers.My Dad put them in front of the mufflers on his Hemi and it sounds like a old garbage truck when idleing,so embarrassing.Man he is really losing it.....LOL

Seen several guys in here put them after the X before the mufflers and they seemed to sound good from what I recall. Just wondering if there was something to this.

The hotrod link pretty much sums it up. That's the brand I have in my Dart except no remote. I'm not sure why you would need a remote. They were on the car when I bought it so I can't say anything about wearing out prematurely. Mine still seal up tight. They can be set anywhere between closed to fully open, so you get as much rumble as you want.
They have a definite cool factor. My favorite use is passing ricers and Harleys on the open road with the exhaust wide open. It will put a smile on your face.

The hotrod link pretty much sums it up. That's the brand I have in my Dart except no remote. I'm not sure why you would need a remote. They were on the car when I bought it so I can't say anything about wearing out prematurely. Mine still seal up tight. They can be set anywhere between closed to fully open, so you get as much rumble as you want.
They have a definite cool factor. My favorite use is passing ricers and Harleys on the open road with the exhaust wide open. It will put a smile on your face.

hmm..I don't see a whole lot of uses for a remote. I can think of one way it would be handy though. This one time I was sitting on the bed cover of my truck with some friends with my truck stereo turned up rather loud, my 800 watt Kicker in a ported and padded box was thumping away giving me a back massage and the next thing I know, I see a cop pull up. The neighbors called the cops on me because they couldn't hear their tv. So when he was pulling up, I turned my stereo down from my phone as he got closer and acted like nothing happened. He didn't think we were doing anything wrong because he didn't hear us so he just talked to us then left. So if I had a remote for my cutouts... I'd probably be chilling with my friends listing to my car lope with the exhaust open and knowing my luck a cop would show up. I'd just hit the quiet button and act like nothing happened before he was close enough to really hear me.

And yes, they're going to go right after the headers. I've put a decent amount of thought into the exhaust and the system will be like this; right off the headers will be the cutouts, then I'll have the mufflers in front of the axle and they'll be turned down there. It'll be a full 3" exhaust and I'm probably going to run Summit street/strip mufflers, I've heard they sound good for their price and have a nice rumble. I'm not a fan of tail pipes so I don't have anything to worry about there. The cutouts are the single most expensive part i'm going to put on the car, but I wan't them so bad. I think the cool factor of having a pure testosterone switch in the car will be worth the price!

-
Back