Exhaust hanger advice

-

jos51700

Green Bearing thread connoisseur
Reaction score
I recently hung a full 2.5" system with X-pipe under my Dart, with exit just ahead of the axle. I used one rubber dog-bone hanger per muffler. Works great on OEM, right?

Wrong...the dogbones have rotted in two, and my system is laying on the ground. It's all welded together until the collectors, which is my fault, so it's a PITA to mount new dogbones, but I'm wondering, what did I do wrong?

Do I need to use several (more than a pair, total) of them? The system isn't that heavy (so it seems) and I didn't drive the car that much, but these things are d-r-y rotted. Thoughts? Ideas? I am actually debating making a hanger out of heim joints to allow the system to move, but I don't know about how the vibes would transfer.

Use the one that have a pipe u bolt and the rubber/nylon strap.
They are tough as hell.

Attachments

• exhaust_hanger_bracket_large.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,159
makes me worry about mine now. have never even ran the car yet. pulled these off of a 2001 intrepid at the local yard and built my own brackets.

SSPX0230_zps41ad609f.jpg

/\
||
That's exactly how I hung mine, but i wasn't smart enought to build removable brackets, I just welded the upper hook to the pan.

I bought new dogbones, but they're from a muffler shop and I wonder if it's a cheap-aftermarket-trash vs. high-quality-OEM thing....

I think they sell those rubber dog bone things the newer cars have in something stronger like polyurethane.

I think they sell those rubber dog bone things the newer cars have in something stronger like polyurethane.

Thank you for the tip, kind sir. I shall investigate this promptly!

Option 1:
Hose' Clampe' (Image from the Nissan Maxipad boards, but works anywhere.

6940870198_large.jpg

Option 2:
Polyurethanium mounts
DSC_0003-1.jpg

Option 3, and what I'll probably do now that I saw the super-awesome brackets another member made, and Imma have to fab stuff anyway:
Fully captured never-fail mounts (from the Miata boards. http://m.miataturbo.net/showthread.php?t=34448)

IMG_0056.jpg

I'm just glad to know I'm the only schlub that has had this problem!

-
Back