Exhaust in cabin

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
We still have a little exhaust getting in and I agree our little Addie,Grand daughter can not ride with us until its gone.I found a huge gap at the lower trunk seal, fix it no day light now inside when the trunk is closed:cheers:and the smell is almost gone but there is still a whiff of it.I have look every where now and cant find were its coming,the only thing I can come up with is the door seals I have yet to get new ones,none there now,so could that be an area were its getting in.Hope someone can help us.

Where does your exhaust exit, out the back or on the sides? It could be something as simple as missing seam sealer in the floorboards. Good luck Snake!

Where does your exhaust exit, out the back or on the sides? It could be something as simple as missing seam sealer in the floorboards. Good luck Snake!

Hi Leanna,exits at the rear we have 2 1/2 from headers back with the 340 tips,never thought about the seam sealer at the floor,thanks wort looking at.There is a little soot at the collectors on booth sides to.

The only place I can think of to check next Snake is under the back seat around the wheel well seals brother.. and or a body plug has jumped out. Take care and have a great day :cheers:

Missing body plugs under the spare ? Missing plugs in the turn down section of trunk floor extensions or even worse a portion of those sections rusted away ?

If the hood to cowl seal is missing, engine vapors can enter through the cowl vent.
Just guesses, Hope it helps

The only place I can think of to check next Snake is under the back seat around the wheel well seals brother.. and or a body plug has jumped out. Take care and have a great day :cheers:

Thanks buddy will double check that,good luck on the race tonight:glasses7:

Missing body plugs under the spare ? Missing plugs in the turn down section of trunk floor extensions or even worse a portion of those sections rusted away ?

If the hood to cowl seal is missing, engine vapors can enter through the cowl vent.
Just guesses, Hope it helps

No rust on this California car ,but you have me thinking big time Redfish there is no cowl seal I removed it during restoration and never replaced it.

If your seeing soot at the joints in your exhaust ,I would get a tube of the sealant at Cambodian Tire there buddy and seal every joint for good measure , getting the exhaust to the back of the car is half the battle on this one

I couldnt find my leak if my life depended on it. Was fine sitting idling but as soon as I gave my 69 Barracuda the gas, it became so toxic in the car I could hardly stand it. So....I dropped the exhaust, did an air test on it (added an H pipe at the same time), reinstalled with no luck. Still Stinkin'. Changed out header collector gaskets, still no luck. I just put a new trunk seal on at the time of the resto so that couldnt be it.....or could it?
I put some vaseline around the trunk seal and closed the trunk lid. Sure enough, was sealing all the way around except the flat part at the back of the car. I found some nice thick, wide, black weatherstripping and put that on just in that area. No more leak.
My pipes run out the back extending about 4 inches and the exhaust musta been sucking right into the trunk.
Jeeesh, if I only could have found that out first, I could have saved a few hours laying on my back. :banghead:

My steering column lower seal broke apart and fell off. I get engine smell in from the holes in the column tube. Hope you find it. tmm

There's a low pressure area at the rear of the cas as it is riding down the road. Exhaust usually finds its way in at the rear. Even if the exhaust exits before the rear, at the rear is usually where it gets in. How bout the tail light gaskets? Any hole in the rear of the car at all should be sealed. I bet a dollar you find it from the rear window on back.

Found a small rip in the seal not sure what its called that the filler tube in the trunk for the gas,sealed it up and got a new cowl to hood seal as to redfish advice,now the only time we get a wiff of fumes is on start up,I am thinking tool man is on to something,after our cruise in last night Cindy even said we dont smell like exhaust no more.Thanks all for the help,next is to look at the column that is were it seams to be coming from on start up.

-
Back