exhaust leak.

-

no1newb

Reaction score
From all that I can make out, Im pretty sure I have an exhaust leak. Would an exaust leak next to the spark plugs cause performance problems? I originally thought that while driving that it wasn't firing off of a cylinder and I got a Compression test kit (But i haven't gotten around to checking the compression yet.) but there are two spark plugs that look black and look like there is a carbon build up on the outside of the spark plugs, all the others still look white. would this cause problems Or do I still probably have a greater problem, I will be able to do the compression test tomorrow, slept in a little late today and now have to go to work.

Sounds like the plugs aren't tight in the holes

:blackeye:I have had plugs get loose a couple of times myself also Redfish, sometimes I get carried away with not wanting to over tighten them

Would that cause both problems? I still feel like there is exhaust coming out between the manifold and the head.

damn, so I never used a torque wrench till recently, and i just tightened 6 of them and it made a huge difference, book said 30 ft lbs. once I get some light tomorrow ill finish the other two on the other side of the brake booster, and report back if that fixed my major problem that I didnt know was going to be so easy. Thanks guys didnt know spark plugs could get loose like that.

The other problem with not getting plugs tight enough is that it effectively raises the heat range, because they cannot dissipate heat.

-
Back