exhaust manifold coating/Paint?????

-

DartSportGreg

The system has failed!
Reaction score
I have a set of 340 exhaust manifolds and I was wondering if they should be powdercoated(cast colored) or what type of (cast colored)paint should be used on them if I go that route.

Send them to CudaChick and have her ceramic coat them cast iron.

Eastwood on these.
I have used it on several manifold sets.Works/lasts very well.

Picture 670.jpg

Picture 498.jpg

Those look great, how much $$$$$

Factory Gray High Temp Coating. part# 10395Z
11.75 oz Aerosol (Spray Can) $15.99
3 or more............................$15.49 each.

If I remember right I bought 2 cans.
You might be able to do a set with 1 can, just cant remember.

I have used it on a /6 manifold, 318 manifolds, and now 340 manifolds.
The 2 pics I sent you are actually the same (factory gray) color.
Great stuff.

www.eastwood.com

Thanks for the props Adam!

Hmmmmmmmm, let's see ...

2 cans of Eastwood's Factory Gray High Temp Coating $ 30.00
Media blasting $100.00 ?
vs.
CudaChick's Ceramic High Temp Manifold Coating job $180.00

[shrug]

Hey, at least my stuff has a 3-year warranty!!!!!!! :-D:-D:-D:-D:-D And I do the INSIDES too!!!!

And as an afterthought ... I love Eastwood as much as the next girl, but I sure wish they'd find some other profession to pick on. DIY powder coating kits and now ceramics too!!!! Ughhhhhhhhhh, you guys are killin me.

I have done a lot of different exhaust manifolds and headers over the years, with canned coatings, spray and other. None but None have ever lasted for very long. On the other hand the Ceramic coating on my exhaust manifolds has lasted 10 years so far. I had them done by Jet hot coatings and I admit I had to send them back for a redo under warranty because they started to rust in the deep pore areas due to to the Houston humidity.
But since I had the new A/C garage built and the car stays in climate controlled area they have done REALLY WELL! If I were you I would spend the EXTRA $$$ to have CudaChick do them for you, I bet you will be happier with them in the long run ! just my 2cents and a note! When doing the exhaust manifolds smooth out the surface as much as you can before having them coated , remove or cover heavy pored areas. There are some products you can use to fill the deep pore areas in with.
The smoother they are the better they are. Especially if you live where the Humidity is high, moisture gets in the pore areas and will show signs of rusting.
Of course it is your $$$ and you can certainly choose to do it however you see fit. I know that some canned products have came a long way in technology in the past few years also. By the way I do not get any $$$ from CudaChick for recommending her and her powder coating or ceramic coating business. But I have seen some of the work from her and it is TOP NOTCH WORK!

I have done alot of different manifolds/headers in my time as well. None of the paints I tried lasted very long untill I found the Eastwood brand.

Is it better than ceramic coating no.
Would this paint outlast ceramic coating no.
Would I pay $100.00 to blast a set of manifolds no.
Did it cost me $130.00 to paint my manifolds no. Nowhere near,maybe $30.00.

Has this product worked for me yes.
Would I recommend this product yes.
Would I ceramic coat a set of manifolds yes.

I apreciate you and your business,and have already stated that ceramic coating is a great way to go, but please dont insult my integrity by twisting the numbers to make my advice look bad. Thank you.

Bottom line it comes down to $ or what your budget is.

I have done a lot of different exhaust manifolds and headers over the years, with canned coatings, spray and other. None but None have ever lasted for very long. On the other hand the Ceramic coating on my exhaust manifolds has lasted 10 years so far. I had them done by Jet hot coatings and I admit I had to send them back for a redo under warranty because they started to rust in the deep pore areas due to to the Houston humidity.
But since I had the new A/C garage built and the car stays in climate controlled area they have done REALLY WELL! If I were you I would spend the EXTRA $$$ to have CudaChick do them for you, I bet you will be happier with them in the long run ! just my 2cents and a note! When doing the exhaust manifolds smooth out the surface as much as you can before having them coated , remove or cover heavy pored areas. There are some products you can use to fill the deep pore areas in with.
The smoother they are the better they are. Especially if you live where the Humidity is high, moisture gets in the pore areas and will show signs of rusting.
Of course it is your $$$ and you can certainly choose to do it however you see fit. I know that some canned products have came a long way in technology in the past few years also. By the way I do not get any $$$ from CudaChick for recommending her and her powder coating or ceramic coating business. But I have seen some of the work from her and it is TOP NOTCH WORK!

1969340dart, I agree wholeheartedly with your recommendations on filling the defects inherent in every cast iron manifold (and some headers) ahead of time, and would add that any grinding / filing needed be done beforehand too. (Sand castings always result in extra metal where it doesn't need to be, and removing it not only makes them look better but it reduces a bit of weight too.) Brand new headers often require 'dinking' -- I heated mine up with a torch and started pounding LOL -- so you can get a spark plug socket in there later, and that should also be done before they're coated with anything regardless of whether you do it yourself or farm them out.

All in all, the smoother the substrate surface is, the better your ceramic coating will look and the longer it will last.

I'm laughing at your statement about the kick backs from me too. You're not lying! Heck, I don't even know your name. Guys, rest assured I didn't pay him a dime to say all of that, but I'll sure volunteer a bigggggggggg sloppy kiss (with tongue of course) for all the kind words about my work. You're a doll!!!!!!

I apreciate you and your business,and have already stated that ceramic coating is a great way to go, but please dont insult my integrity by twisting the numbers to make my advice look bad. Thank you.

Johnny, I didn't twist anything or say a word to insult your integrity. (Integrity is something that's earned, and nothing I say will change what other people think of you.) Your advice didn't look BAD at all! Heck, I'd even consider buying Eastwood's new ceramic coating too at fifteen bucks a can. Who wouldn't want to save money in this economy??? Especially if the stuff works.

The blasting estimate (with the question mark afterwards) is based on actual market values in the profession if you had to pay someone to clean your used manifolds. Every area of the country is different, but that's what they charge around here (+/- $50 an hour, and I personally know used manifolds take a considerable amount of time to blast clean enough to coat them).

The FABO members are intelligent enough to make their own decisions based on their individual level of skill, equipment on hand, budget and time line. DartSportGreg asked for opinions and we gave them to him.

I had three sets of 340-360 heads, disassembled, tanked and bead blasted for $90, $30 per pair. I live in the state known for crazy labor cost too, California. Just an example.

Don't forget shipping which certainly hasn't decreased in cost over the last few years.

Both Eastwood and Phoenix are viable alternatives depending on budget. 8)

ok, this may be a dumb question. but here goes. i want white headers. i always liked the look of white headers on old race cars. what are my options besides spray paint which doesnt last very long. can i have them ceramic coated white? or any other options anyone knows about.
thanks
-aaron-

wh1.jpg

wh2.jpg

wh3.jpg

-
Back