Exhaust on 64 Barracuda?

-

jlindemann

Reaction score
So finally getting the car to the muffler shop next week for exhaust work. It has a 318 in it and I believe factory manifolds. The guy asked me if I knew if the manifolds would accept 2.5 pipe cause that is what I was going to go with. Any buddy know if the will? I don't think I need 2.5 inch right now but the car is set for my dad but will want to do it with a built motor in a few years so I am trying to think ahead. Am I thinking this through correctly? Any suggestions appreciated.

So finally getting the car to the muffler shop next week for exhaust work. It has a 318 in it and I believe factory manifolds. The guy asked me if I knew if the manifolds would accept 2.5 pipe cause that is what I was going to go with. Any buddy know if the will? I don't think I need 2.5 inch right now but the car is set for my dad but will want to do it with a built motor in a few years so I am trying to think ahead. Am I thinking this through correctly? Any suggestions appreciated.

I just had my 65 barracuda exhaust redone... I wanted 2.5" from the exhaust manifolds all the way back but once he got the car up on the lift he had to do 1.75" down tubes from the manifolds then from there he did 2.5" the rest of the way... He said he couldn't go any bigger or else he'd hit the steering linkage... AND it ended up costing me more, cause he had to 'special order' 1.75 mandrel bent piping... All said and done, I'm glad I did it... It runs so much better now. I'm still running a 273, and it runs fine with 2.5". Went with magnaflows, sounds great.

TTI makes a full 2.5 h and x pipe system for 63-66 a bodys from the manifolds to the rear bumper [with notes for trans. xmbr mod,e brake hangar removal/mod,springs moved in notes] ,so i would say yes they will accept 2.5 flanges. Shane i don't know what to say sounds like you got hosed by a lazy exhaust guy. The p.o. of my cuda had Midas do the dual exhaust they f--ked it all up [2 inch pipe single to dual 2 inch with 2 1/4 flowmasters with 2 inch tails] im gonna have to redo it front to back with 2 1/2, it's a complete hack job.

TTI makes a full 2.5 h and x pipe system for 63-66 a bodys from the manifolds to the rear bumper [with notes for trans. xmbr mod,e brake hangar removal/mod,springs moved in notes] ,so i would say yes they will accept 2.5 flanges. Shane i don't know what to say sounds like you got hosed by a lazy exhaust guy. The p.o. of my cuda had Midas do the dual exhaust they f--ked it all up [2 inch pipe single to dual 2 inch with 2 1/4 flowmasters with 2 inch tails] im gonna have to redo it front to back with 2 1/2, it's a complete hack job.

Yeah he had me by the balls... Called me once he tore off the old one, and said he ran into problems and was going to have to charge me more... Wasn't happy about it, but once I looked at it, it did seem really tight in there... That said, he didn't have to cut up my transmission crossmember or remove my e-brake cable bracket... So it works. It's mandrel bent and stainless piping. Quality work. I figure I'll eventually swap to headers, not too worried about the small piping for the moment.

I didn't know TTI made exhaust for us, but wish I would have.

You planning on dual exhaust?? Better plan on modifying your trans crossmember for the passenger side pipe to pass through or else you will to go under or flatten your pipe, neither of which is optimal. Here is a picture of the crossmember modification I was doing for members here for their early A's. I had about a dozen extra crossmembers and made them all up and sold them here, but it is a pretty straightforward mod to do, and IMO a must for dual exhaust. Compare this pic to your crossmember and you'll see what it is you're up against!!

As for the size of your pipe. I think I used 2 1/4" but I also have Spitfire headers and the collectors point straight down so clearance wasn't as much of an issue. Good luck with your project, Geof

Attachments

• 100_3008.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 191
  • 100_2426.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 196
I already did the crossmember modification. We know this guy personally so maybe I will just let him go for it.

Heres a few pics of my exhaust, taken in 2009 for another member to see You can see how tight the pipe is with 2 1/4" and also my early crossmember modification. Hope this helps a bit, Geof

Attachments

• 100_1369.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 199
  • 100_1371.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 191
  • 100_1373.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 205
  • 100_1378.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 188
  • 100_1379.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 200
Yeah looks pretty tight. Think it may end up being 2.25instead but I think I might just have to see what he can. I will just tell him to go as big as he can but not have it drag on the ground or make any other mods.

-
Back