exhaust tips for 70 Duster

-

nomad

Reaction score
Just purchased some reproduction exhaust tips for my Duster and am not sure how far they are suppose to stick out past the bottom of the rear bumper? Was there a specific distance when they came from the factory? If anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Just purchased some reproduction exhaust tips for my Duster and am not sure how far they are suppose to stick out past the bottom of the rear bumper? Was there a specific distance when they came from the factory? If anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Do you happen to have the OEM style exhaust tip hangers? If so that will get you very close.

I just had tips put on my 71 Demon.....using correct style hangers.

Attachments

• 100_4264.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 2,520
  • 100_4243.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,336
Perhaps a moot point , but 1970 340 A-bodies didn't come with the coveted tips from the factory . For whatever reason(s) , Chrysler skipped-a-year with that ( perhaps they thought it's be too flashy and deter folks from the then-new Challenger and 'Cuda models ?).

Sames goes for FM-receivers ( gone for '70 & '71 ) .

Consoles with a manual trans also disappeared after '69 in A-bodies
( probably , again , because of the "E" bodies and the dropping of the Dart GTS and Barracuda Formula-S models ).

Never-the-less ...

Thats funny I had a 1970 dart swinger and a 1970 340 Duster , both came with the chrome exhaust tips.

Perhaps a moot point , but 1970 340 A-bodies didn't come with the coveted tips from the factory . For whatever reason(s) , Chrysler skipped-a-year with that ( perhaps they thought it's be too flashy and deter folks from the then-new Challenger and 'Cuda models ?).

( probably , again , because of the "E" bodies and the dropping of the Dart GTS and Barracuda Formula-S models ).

Never-the-less ...

I got an email one day from a good Mopar guy here in Howell that has a numbers matching 70 or 71 Duster that is all stock, here sent me a picture that i fail to have still
and his are about 3" past the bottom of the bumper....so i had mine done that way on my 72 duster. i had my springs moved in so i had to run tail pipes in a different location then maybe yours, but there at 3" I think it looks a little long but its your choice.

Some of the A-bodies had the noise reduction package which did not include the tips. They had different mufflers and tailpipes that turned down.I bought a set of each and still have the mufflers.
Tom

got my new rear bumper now,,,,,

Attachments

• 1971 Demon 012.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,024
  • 1971 Demon 011.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,001
  • 100_4255.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 952
  • 100_4260.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,034
i had a set of stainless 2 1/2 tips and hangers so i put them to use on my 74 duster, i put the early rear bumper on too. the 74 didnt have any holes for the hangers, it was a pain in the *** to drill them too. i had to use a short right angle drill and a short drill bit. i put them as far from the bumper as the drill would fit between the frame rail and tire well the rail is real thick there i guess for the bumper shock absorbers so i power tapped it. the tips stick out a little mor ethan i was hoping but it looks ok.

rear view....

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 919
  • 006.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 908
  • 041.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 868
  • 048.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 850
  • 045.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 884
this is the correct Hieght and lenth . I just moved them inboard because of the spring relocation. The reflection on bumper tells the story. alot of the after market tips have the same L-bracket for A and B cars they are wrong. The A-body tips have a shorter Height L and when using the B-body tips they send you. The tips end up to far down from the bumper.Also there is a slight upward bend in the tailpipe to angle the tip upward so the moisture comes out of the drain hole in the front of the tip. Keeps it off the rear of the car.

Attachments

• dus1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,085
  • dus3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,339
  • 16.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 776
  • 15.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 807
  • DSCF0090.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 911

Never-the-less ...
Me too, I purchased a new '70 Dart Swinger 340 in fall of '69 and those tips came standard and installed. Rog

new pics

Attachments

• Home in garage 013.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 680
  • Home in garage 024.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 671
  • Home in garage 029.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 660
  • end of season 009.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 785
  • end of season 013.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 716
  • end of season 007.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 707
  • 073.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 671
I just bought a set of 2.50 inch exhaust tips for my 69 383-s barracuda that still had the original exhuast tips. The new tips had the hanger a full 3.5 inches farther back than my stock ones. I ended up making some plates that I cut a notch out of and welded (with basically big tacks so I could cut them out easy if I ever wanted to) the original hanger into and drilled two holes into the plate to line up with the original bolt location and an existing hole in the frame. That moved the hanger back where it needed to be so the tips would be in the original location. Otherwise they would stick out 3.5 inches back and look stupid as hell. I called the supplier for the new tips and he hadn't heard about any problems with the tips not being like the originals, as far as the hanger is concerned.
Rod

-
Back