exhaust woes ......1973 340 into a 1965 barracuda

-

Ed Ruhl

Reaction score
Hi all
I know there is a lot of people with way more experience out there........so I want to ask for help, in Southeast Michigan I am struggling.

I tried shorties first and passenger side was beautiful but no way would manual steering and the center dump shorties would work.

then I searched fabo and tried some cheap 360 exhaust manifolds from a durango, again passenger side beautiful and drivers side wouldn't bolt up do to steering gearbox.

looking for stock 340 manifolds but in an early a body not only way expensive but steering may be a problem again

just looking for folks that have overcome this.......I am seriously thinking of headers through the inner fender or long tubes around the steering and torsion bar however yikes more than I wanted for sure.

same with single vs dual exhaust.... will cut and fab the transmission mount for dual but now I am not sure.

It is a 1965 barracuda that will be a daily cruiser with automatic 904, manual steering, power brakes...

HELP please!

I "think" I remember seeing that the early 340 manifold would work on the drivers side IF it was angle milled. Others may have experience doing this, mine was from a magazine article way back when... good luck and we'd love to see pictures!

Dougs makes headers that bolt right on.

dougs and tti make headers. not cheap but an option..

find early abody 273 manifolds.. they will need the slightest work to fit. not ideal but they will work and fit the best. probably choke it some too but it is what it is.. i ran them on a 360 in a 64 valiant.

the later 340 manifolds will work. 73 style.. they are tight but work. friend had them on his 66 barracuda. may have to slightly lift the motor to bolt them on

Just run 273 exhaust manifolds, I Jet-Hot coat mine,with Commando 2 1/2 single exhaust and be done. All an easy bolt in. Plenty good enough for a low compression 340.

P1010003.JPG

P1010004.JPG

66Cuda ds low rear.JPG

I had 68 good manifolds on my manual steering 65 and didn't have a fitment issue. I bought it like this so maybe the manifold was ground on in one close area but I don't remember. Power steering no way. Did you try magnum logs? They dump high away from steering box. May have to grind a tad for the steering shaft? You can raise or lower the motor in relation to the steering box with thick 65 or thin 66 motor mount isolators.

Just saying- 66 barracuda with 273 and Doug’s headers, PS, and factory auto
It’s tight but clears all because of the Bergson steering box conversion. The u- joint Is smaller and the box is way smaller than factory and the lines hooked right up to my factory steering pump. Best move I made so far. That is IF you want to go that route.

I ran the Dougs on my 65 with a 360 and power steering and everything fit like a glove. Nothing hit anywhere.

are your wheels the smaller bolt battern wheels? the size that came on your year car? also where did you get your wheels? thanks

Yes, they are small bolt pattern. I run an OEM A Body 8 3/4 rear and Kelsey-Hayes front disc brakes. They were custom Minilite 15 x 6 for the early A Body cars. Kinda wished I would have gotten 16's for tire selection. I ordered them through Minilite US ( Minilite Wheels US ) I'll check and see if I still have the specs. They did not have caps small enough and they came with a lip that had to be machined out for the front hubs to pass thru. Very nice wheels though. they are centered in the wheel wells as close as you can get. Hub Centric and steel inserts for standard lug nuts.

They're chassis headers. No cutting involved. I have them on my '66 with a 360 and manual steering. Fit great!

They point right at the torsion bars. You've got the task of making them fit at that point with a tight bend and maybe some crushing to get 2.5" pipes to fit. Last I knew you could still get them from Layson's, don't know if they addressed that issue
As far as I know they are the same as when Harold made them. They are simply tubular exhaust. Not equal length, short tubes, and a turd to hook exhaust up to. Not much better than manifolds.

-
Back