exhausted....

-

dudeman601

Reaction score
not trying to gripe here but just came back from the local muffler shop, and he looked at my car pulled his coworker over broke out a flashlight, called over another guy with his flashlight just to tell me that there was no way that i could get exhaust under my car.
description of my car:
1964 plymouth valiant
/6 car converted to 360 via transdapt motormounts(engineswap)
early v8 manifolds (you know the funky ones that go around the steering)
i have the compact starter(late model)
stock torsion bars
v8 draglink
sub frame connectors
disc brake conversion( the only reason i throw that in is because of the prop valve is on the frame in the general area)
all trans lines, cables, and fuel lines are tucked and ran out of the way (i did this because i knew that i needed to leave room for exhaust from the get go.

can i see pictures of your guys exhaust especially around the manifold? according to the guy. exhasut wont fit and i want to show him that hes apparently mistaken....
thanks guys sorry to rant just tired of the nay saying
dave

Go somewhere else. The factory did it with a "Y pipe from the pass to the driver side and then under the trans mount back to the axle and out the rear valance. Whats the problem? Are your 273 manifolds the real ones that point straight back, or do they point down and a little forward? If you want to run true duals, you can get a later year trans cross-member that has the dual cutout or cut your own.

Go somewhere else. The factory did it with a "Y pipe from the pass to the driver side and then under the trans mount back to the axle and out the rear valance. Whats the problem? Are your 273 manifolds the real ones that point straight back, or do they point down and a little forward? If you want to run true duals, you can get a later year trans cross-member that has the dual cutout or cut your own.

i dont think there is a single hump cross member... they all have the two humps

Negative...Here is a dual, notice the post 66 1 bolt trans mount.
DualExhstXO.jpg
<p>
Here is an early '65 single cutout
DSC00200.JPG

All A's through 66 had the cut-out only on the driver's side.

They ran dual exhaust on my 64 Barracuda with the stock transmission cross member. The way they did it is ran the pipe from the driver side over to the passenger side, then both pipes run side by side through the stock cross member cut-out on the passenger side. The driver side pipe eventually goes back to the left side and they exit in the rear like regular duals. probably not the best for flow, but forr a mild 273, it's plenty.

Are you using the correct 64-66 273 manifold or the later style? If it is not the 64-66, they will not be able to make it work.
If you have the right manifold, then I would take my buisiness elsewhere.

I did the mod to my 66 crossmember when I had duals with Spitfire hedders.It was a tight fit comming down between the torsion bars,but was done and can be done.Go to another exhaust shop,one that wants your money and the work.:angry7:

They're stupid. Go somewhere else.

not trying to gripe here but just came back from the local muffler shop, and he looked at my car pulled his coworker over broke out a flashlight, called over another guy with his flashlight just to tell me that there was no way that i could get exhaust under my car.
description of my car:
1964 plymouth valiant
/6 car converted to 360 via transdapt motormounts(engineswap)
early v8 manifolds (you know the funky ones that go around the steering)
i have the compact starter(late model)
stock torsion bars
v8 draglink
sub frame connectors
disc brake conversion( the only reason i throw that in is because of the prop valve is on the frame in the general area)
all trans lines, cables, and fuel lines are tucked and ran out of the way (i did this because i knew that i needed to leave room for exhaust from the get go.

can i see pictures of your guys exhaust especially around the manifold? according to the guy. exhasut wont fit and i want to show him that hes apparently mistaken....
thanks guys sorry to rant just tired of the nay saying
dave
You definitely need the '64-'66 exhaust manifolds and the 90* oil filter adapter.

my manifold points a lil forward.

You do not need a 90 degree oil filter adapter. Among my family we have 3 early a bodies with v8's mine with a 360. It is tight but its been done quite a bit with the stock manifolds. I'm not positive which one is which but my brothers 65 valiant has one style of the manifolds that exit differently than mine do. Not have pipes connected to them. If you don't use a 90 degree oil filter you will probably want to use the shorter size filter off a newer model motor, just gives the shop more room. Pm me if you would like to see any pictures of my 64 barracuda or a 65 valiant with this set up.

update::::::
after the incident this weekend i was a lil brnt out on exhaust, so i ordered a oil filter relocation kit. my wife yesterday was trying to convince me to take the car to try different places. well me being me i said no(wasnt ready for more dissapointment) so i used "im gonna wait for my oil filter kit to come in" as a excuse. well to make a very long story not so long , i decided today that i was going to take the car and get quotes and listen to somebody else tell me no so i could start search for the manifold that points back etc... ( i was mentally preparing myself for the "babe i need the check book" so to speak)(you married guys know how bad that gets sometimes ha ha ha )
so off i go . i had been hearing about this guy that will do anything that you want, even if it meant serious work.so i started with him. i call him first to make sure that for some reason he didnt close or wasnt able to weld or something like that. he said come on in and "show me what you got" .
i pull up to his shop , and his coworker come out and literally crawls under the car and says "she'll be tight" "when you wanna pick her up?"bear in mind i hadnt even received the oil filter relocator. i was in shock.. i didnt know what to say so i said well i have school tomorrow night so preferrebly before that but if not them let me know so i can line up another project. he said "i was talking about after lunch" i turned into a lil school boy. come to find out the owner was a mopar fan. said he had had a couple of a bodies in his day. "loved their 340's, the 360 was a tough motor" etc.....i dropped the car off at 9:30 and at 1:30 he called and said she was done, he loved the way it sounded, and it was 50 bucks cheaper than he quoted.and it looks really clean.

Yeah, the first shop sounds like they don't like getting dirty nor do they know how to do anything but bolt on mufflers and tail pipes.

I had a meineke back in pennsylvania that would ask the muscle car guys to come in after hours.
He would lock the door, break out the pipe bender, and weld up your custom exhaust all while supplying you and your buddies with nice, ice cold bottled beer.
$200 cash usually paid for the whole job.
He's still in business too.

where im from , one of the fastest guys ran a muffler shop, so we were good to get anything we could imagine. we used to hang out at the shop after hours and play around with different mufflers just for fun..it was nothing for one guy to borrow another guys mufflers so he could drive across town to race somebody.

you know what is sad is the shop that is "idiots" is a reputable chain(so i thought)

Yeah, the first shop sounds like they don't like getting dirty nor do they know how to do anything but bolt on mufflers and tail pipes.

I had a meineke back in pennsylvania that would ask the muscle car guys to come in after hours.
He would lock the door, break out the pipe bender, and weld up your custom exhaust all while supplying you and your buddies with nice, ice cold bottled beer.

Cudaspaz,

Which Meineke is that? I'm in Greensburg and we have one there too.

You do not need a 90 degree oil filter adapter. Among my family we have 3 early a bodies with v8's mine with a 360. It is tight but its been done quite a bit with the stock manifolds. I'm not positive which one is which but my brothers 65 valiant has one style of the manifolds that exit differently than mine do. Not have pipes connected to them. If you don't use a 90 degree oil filter you will probably want to use the shorter size filter off a newer model motor, just gives the shop more room. Pm me if you would like to see any pictures of my 64 barracuda or a 65 valiant with this set up.
IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg
IMG_0565.jpg

first picture is passenger side, early a body manifold, shorty oil filter, stock sway bars, on a 360. second picture(blue car) is drivers side with the early a version manifold that exits pointing rear ward, also this car is a 4 speed, third picture is drivers side of the 360, manual steering, auto tranny, and the early a manifold version that exits slightly forward. hope this helps

Glad it worked out, share the name and address for the rest of us,
that might live near you. :)

-
Back