Expected idle with a Purple Cam

-
ship the car back to the pacific northwest, we'll fix it and ship it back. lol
the carb may not like the eastern air.

I have a 509 purple cam in my 340 Duster and she idles at 1400 RPM and of course with that cam you will need at least at the minimum 2800 Stall. I have a 3200 Stall and have no problems. I at one time thought that my idle was too high and in lowering it I had stalling issues so I went back to 1400.. Another thing that you may want to look at is an electric fuel pump with a regulator set at 9 psi... JMO...

I have a 509 purple cam in my 340 Duster and she idles at 1400 RPM and of course with that cam you will need at least at the minimum 2800 Stall. I have a 3200 Stall and have no problems. I at one time thought that my idle was too high and in lowering it I had stalling issues so I went back to 1400.. Another thing that you may want to look at is an electric fuel pump with a regulator set at 9 psi... JMO...

The tune is out or you likely have a big vacuum leak somewhere. I bet it smells really rich out the tailpipes at idle.

Did you time it using total method? If RPM drop 200+ rpm when put in gear, the tune is off.

9psi is too high for most carbs. 7-7.5 is usually the high side you want to run with holleys, ede's are lower 5.5.

Put a timing light on it and see what you have at idle for timing, park and in gear. There should be NO change. IMO, that engine will need at least 20* of idle timing and more like 24* to run even close to correct. If you have less, it won't want to run right.

I have that cam in my Dart. I can idle it at 950. But I have a 4 speed. I have to agree with crackedback.

Fred B

-
Back