expert help needed (my first post)

-
All this just to flip it ?

Most people here build their cars to keep, and enjoy.

You are the first wanna be flipper I have ever heard of on this site. And I've been here a long time.

All this flip talk is nonsense.

Do what you want, but I say save your money dude.
the goals to finish the car and enjoy it wile its for sale, and i consider the work to be fun and challenging. especially when someone tells me i shouldn’t do something, for some reason it makes me what to do it more.

I would say, if you're not building it to keep for yourself, don't do a BB swap. Find a 360 magnum and build a nice little SB. You WILL lose money on a flip doing a BB swap. Example BB manifolds if you can find them 2 grand, TTI headers 1 grand, most likely aftermarket hood or cut a hole in factory hood, BB motor mounts or front engine plate, then you need a welder. BB oil pan. Pulleys, water pump, distributor. Having someone close to you who has done this swap, priceless.

And does the 69 look like it was done by a newbie/1st timer?
Why stop at the 440? Put a 6.4 hemi in it. Perfect swap for a 1st timer :rolleyes:
Time for a reality check.
here's a few comps:

[/URL]
still a small bock, but nicely appointed. mid 20's

[/URL]

again a small block, but with a modern 6spd and vintage air. it's not perfect, but shows nicely. low 20's

[/URL]
here's a stroker BB nacho with an auto that looks pretty decent. this is probably about the closest comp you'll find. and again, low 20's

so, ask yourself is big block and manual transmission worth 10K more?

well, it sounds like you've got a good foundation to work with.

personally, if i were in your position i'd keep it small block and go find a decent running 318 or 360. you could probably even find one somebody's pulled out and selling on the cheap. maybe throw some parts at it if you're feeling frisky- cam, intake, 4bbl, **** who knows maybe you find one that's already nearly there.

or, rebuild what you've got. just have the machine work done and do all of the assembly yourself.

get it back running and driving and then decide if you want to go big block or build a snotty small block on the side while you're out enjoying the car.

i missed your line about ROI before. you're already at 14K which doesn't leave a bunch of meat on the bone if you're looking to flip it. i'd say a non OG big block 67~69 nacho is solidly a mid to low 20's car. maybe you find just the right buyer and you see upper 20's

but let's do a little back of the barroom napkin math vis à vis the chonk block: the exhaust (headers) is the big one, you're looking at 1K there no matter how you wanna slice it. unless you're incredibly lucky and stumble on some used tubes you're coughing up dough. same on the transmission, because it's BB specific you've gotta find that piece. automatic is the path of least resistance, but again you'll need specific parts for that-- press the easy button and get an aftermarket shifter and check that off the list and watch $250~300 fly out the window, so there's another 1K out the door. so that's 2K easy money in addition to all the other stuff...

but you want to go manual? okay, you're gonna need a whole bunch of A-body specific parts, all of which are rare as rocking horse **** and cast out of pure unobtainium, or you pivot and run something aftermarket in the swing pedals and bellhousing department which is maybe slightly less, but requires modification and fabrication to the body or pieces themselves. then you cough up for all other stuff you need: flywheel, clutch, transmission itself and a shifter. so all of that is easily 2K at the end of day.

so, you're at 14. snap up that 4K motor and then add 1K for exhaust, 1K for trans, and let's use a nice round number of 1K for all the install stuff just to keep it simple and you're at 21K. basically what the car would likely sell for.
You forgot to mention the $1500 for a rear end that can actually handle a big block 4 speed. And the driveshaft to fit to make it work. The thing about this is, he’s 17, and not yet capable of doing the kind of work it takes to successfully duplicate a big block A body Cuda. Not a knock to his skill set, but to get the price he needs after spending the money just to have the parts to do it right, he also has to do a very accurate job to reach that price range. A hack job big block transplant will not increase the value of this car, when he can save $1000’s by just using the parts he has and spending as little as possible. That’s what flippers do. He’s torn between what he wants and what the car needs to be flipped. Kinda like buying a house to flip, and buying all the stuff necessary to do the flip, but all in your taste. You have to put aside your taste and do what the flip needs, not what you want.

440 Under the hood, plan on fatter torsion bars

I suggest elephant ears motor mounts for your application
Better suspension and exhaust clearance

Small blk , best fit, least expensive

Magnumswap.com

Last edited:
Agree 1000%. Well said Geof.
You forgot to mention the $1500 for a rear end that can actually handle a big block 4 speed. And the driveshaft to fit to make it work. The thing about this is, he’s 17, and not yet capable of doing the kind of work it takes to successfully duplicate a big block A body Cuda. Not a knock to his skill set, but to get the price he needs after spending the money just to have the parts to do it right, he also has to do a very accurate job to reach that price range. A hack job big block transplant will not increase the value of this car, when he can save $1000’s by just using the parts he has and spending as little as possible. That’s what flippers do. He’s torn between what he wants and what the car needs to be flipped. Kinda like buying a house to flip, and buying all the stuff necessary to do the flip, but all in your taste. You have to put aside your taste and do what the flip needs, not what you want.

I’m sorry, but I can’t read this thread any more as you keep asking and almost everyone replying is politely telling you to not do it as you WILL lose money on it and NO it is not a good flip.

Respectfully the whole 273 powered 67 notch back is not a good platform for a flip if this is your whole intension. Plan on owning this car for a very long ti e as they aren’t overly popular. Hence just build it the way to want to and do not place any expectations of re-sale or making a profit on it down the road.

Some of the best advise is:

- Stay Small Block - you already have everything you need
- Use what you have and just hone and re-ring, new bearing bandaid it back together.
- keep it cheap

Then just enjoy it as a cruiser while you perhaps look for a better candidate for the dream flip….

If you still do a 440 4 speed conversion. On this plan on spending about 25 Thousand dollars doing it including your interior and console up grades etc….. (in my eyes this probably low) putting you total investment at 40k plus. Then plan on losing 10-15 thousand dollars on it when you sell it. These cars are available done, and done well in your ‘dream’ configuration for 18-25 thousand dollars.

Good luck!

Last edited:
the goals to finish the car and enjoy it wile its for sale, and i consider the work to be fun and challenging. especially when someone tells me i shouldn’t do something, for some reason it makes me what to do it more.
So you asked for expert advise, and most told you a BB was a bad idea. But you didn't like the answer.

Well then get on with it. And while you are at it, get out your dads American Express, because you are going to need it. This should be fun.

I'lll be waiting for the Craiglist add: 1967 Barracuda project car. Motor and transmission are out of the car.
Have a spare 273 available, needs a rebuild. Just lost interest. Best offer.

Look for a running 318 it will bolt right in . Do the bigger engine later drive it while figuring things out.why dump 5k into an engine when the car probably needs other things

I have a 440 in my Duster, it was an automatic and I just converted it to a 4 speed. Everything is a tight fit, headers make everything a tighter fit. For mine I had to go with a hydraulic clutch, I couldn't package the linkage for a manual clutch, my headers were in the way. I definitely had more room with the auto. Looks at Schumaker (spelling?) For the conversion motor mounts to bolt a big block in. For oil pans, you'd need an abody friendly one. I ran a big Moroso deep pan, it cleared everything just fine, I currently run a 440 source Hemi pan, it also clears everything, but I had to upgrade to the 73+ steering to clear the pan. I also have a 73+ spool mount K member and am able to run factory C body motor mounts.

A flip is intended to bring you more than you put into it, which is not going to happen in your case. You will find people want a whole lot of car for nothing paid. The money you'll make on this project will be the experience you've obtained during the work. Forget about pocket money on this one.

Ok everyone, let's not beat the young man up.

He is learning and asking for advice.

We have all added our 2 cents so now it is on him to make the decision on what he is going to do.

Many of us have done the very same thing weather for ourselves or for profit and found oops that didn't work out so well.

The education he will get doing the floor tunnel, locating parts, asking for help, getting help, rejecting help, making mistakes is how we all learned back before the internet.

I sunk 20k in a 56 Ford pickup, a ton of custom parts. I'm the end I had a rusted hunk of crap.

It seemed like a good idea at the time. BUT I learned and taught myself so much that I use to this day.

So again let's stop beating the young man up because he isn't instantly taking our ideas and saying oh yes Mopar gurus your right!

To the OP, from reading the posts in this threat I hope you will have learned some things. (1) Mopars are expensive to build in comparison to other makes. They are not as cheap as slapping together a 454 & dropping it in a Chevy - in fact, most Mopar guys will admit they are into their cars for more than they would ever hope to recoup; but Mopar people tend to hold on to their cars so the investment, for them, is worthwhile. Your flip will only be worth what someone else is willing to pay. (2) No one is saying you can't do what you want to with your car, it is your car, but they are letting you know not to get lured into the Barrett-Jackson syndrome in thinking more people would want a 440/4-spd over, say, a lighter high revving 408 stroker small block. For example, if I were going for a big block in an A-body, I'd prefer a 470 (stroked 400) to keep a little bit of weight off of the nose and gain 30 more cubes to boot. (3) Most of the old guard here have eons of experience and have tried to give you the benefit of that knowledge. Some Mopar folks have done what you envision but not without gnashing of teeth, foul language, and 'hard knocks' - both educationally and financially.

The best advice I can give you is to learn how to do a search of the Forums - that research will answer a majority of your questions and give you an idea of what you're up against.

Please keep us updated on how your build is going.

Last edited:
I would say, if you're not building it to keep for yourself, don't do a BB swap. Find a 360 magnum and build a nice little SB. You WILL lose money on a flip doing a BB swap. Example BB manifolds if you can find them 2 grand, TTI headers 1 grand, most likely aftermarket hood or cut a hole in factory hood, BB motor mounts or front engine plate, then you need a welder. BB oil pan. Pulleys, water pump, distributor. Having someone close to you who has done this swap, priceless.
thank you i think i will go with a 340. thank you for your comment.

thank you i think i will go with a 340. thank you for your comment.
A 340 is a great motor for a 67-69 Barracuda, but once again I must point out a few things….

You have $14k into a possible $20k flip

The 340 is a premium priced motor, yes for good reason, but rarely do you recoup the asking price in a flip

You seem to keep confusing your taste and what a flip requires, and the end result will be a very minimal return on your investment, like the Tremec idea from your other thread

You would be best served by taking some of the suggestions given, such as just refreshing the 273, not an all out $5k rebuild. Have you checked the bores in the motor? Maybe it can just be honed and the pistons reringed. Is the cam wiped out or can it be reused, and even if it’s not, a new cam can go into the old bearings if they’re found to be clean and unscored. That all would save you any trip to the machine shop, and thus saving you the $5k you seem willing to spend on replacing the current drivetrain.

If you’re flipping this car, you’re already upside down on the price, paying $14k for a 273 Barracuda, dumping another $5k into the drivetrain will not yield you any profit. What might tho, is to do all of the work yourself, cleaning, installing and getting it back up and running, and shooting for a nice clean driver in the $18k range, which is about tops for a 273 Barracuda. A $3k profit is still a profit, and gets you acquainted with the world of Mopar cars.

In order to succeed in flipping cars, and Mopars in particular, you need to buy low, do most of the work yourself, make the car a sound investment for the next guy, and work your way up the ladder. Along the way, you’ll get lucky, have a few setbacks, and in the end, wind up with that keeper car you can be proud of.

Having owned dozens of big block and small block A-Body's I can tell you for sure there is nothing like a big block in an A-body. Having said that, it is not for the faint of heart to go from a small block to a big block. If I was just starting out, and since things have changed significantly since I did my first one 40 years ago, I would go with a stroker small block and embarrass big block cars...
I agree. That is I agree with big block!!!!!!!! Screw the cost of strokers for us little guys!!!! But I am not made of $$$$$$. I rather piece together any big blokc for anything it fits in/ I admit to owning 50 times more big blocks than any c i small block, but I go back 5 decades and more. Used to be I could always network and find somoene with a decent running usually freshened 383 or 400> Torque. Put it in anything and it as fun! Worth the effort. But 50 years later it take MORE work!

The advise from Cosgig is from someone who has been buying, flipping and dismantling cars for longer than you have been alive. He has no skin in the game other than helping you to avoid a disaster. Little story. Back in the day I saw a Buick Special station wagon I thought was a really cool body style. I had a friend who was a professional mechanic who promised to help me do a small block chevy 350 swap. Had another friend who was a professional body man who promised to help me do a Harold and Maude tribute, so I bought the car. They both bailed and I took a bath. Real learning experience. I admire your enthusiasm and your ability to do the mechanical stuff you described. If you want to have fun go for it. You will learn a lot and if you finish it you will have a fun ride people will admire. Everyone is just trying to keep you from being dissappointed when you find out how hard and expensive it is, and the certainty you will not come out well financially.

You are near a major metropolis area. Go to a few car shows and talk to everyone! Ask about their build and maybe go for a ride in a car or 2 if you ask nicely! You might even make some good connections on people who can help you with advice or maybe even parts. Everyone here wants to see you succeed.

Last edited:
i also plan on doing new wireing harness, new dadh, headligher, and seats. would it be stuiped to think i could get 30 for the car if i get it almost perfect?
So here's the catch. You're learning, as we all are, but in your case just beginning to learn about these particular cars. So it won't be perfect. For flip, the goal is to take something poor to OK and make it good or at least better in some way that makes it more desirable. For a quicker sale it needs to appeal to a broader market and more middle priced. For a higher end sale, it can be a smaller market but will sell if you are patient. But these buyers will be more discriminating and likely more knowldedgable

its all there just switching to black. no one has put a 440 stick in an abody and sold it. or alteast i cant find any. thats why im stumped on what it could sell for if i did it. here’s pics of my interior, need headliner idk about dash. need everything black so doors and seats and ext.
The factory did, and it took a lot of work. For '67 the 383 was the only BB offering. Not big sellers even then. But it gave them bragging rights and related marketing.

I'd agree for the interior to match the paint job. Some is good, some not great. IMO Instrument panel needs to be replated and detailed for a sale at the prices you're targetting. Little stuff in there is a major PIA. Defroster ducts and hoses for example. Heater cores and heater box rebuild is another. Wait till you find out that the replacement heater cores don't fit. Hopefully you have the old one to get recored. Stuff like that.

everything that has a 440 looks to be for 40k+ would have to get a new hood or would a 440 be fine. thanks to everyone thats here helping me.
Hood is not needed for fit. The hood you see in that ad (if its the same as I'm looking at) is for a '68 Hemi (NHRA SS-A and AA ).

My suggestion is use this experience to learn, and be open to that. There may be some buyers who may be interested in your project but don't count on it. Do it for yourself. Take a look at the factory package and consider that a baseline. By package I mean everything from exhaust and steering arrangments to leaf springs and diff.

If you have to do electrical, again, execution will be critical both for appearence and for performance.

I wanted a 440 in my Duster and I ignored all of the don't do it "because of this" posts, and leaned into "this is how I did" it posts

I am 52 but I am only 10 years deep in doing my own stuff, and only 3 years doing Mopar stuff.

It is nowhere near as expensive as people are trying to tell you if you do it right and have patience. Yes Mopar stuff is a premium, however, every city has a Mopar hoarder or two or five that will let stuff go for decent prices from time to time.

The trick is doing as much of it yourself as you can.

Youtube, google, this forum, facebook A body and mopar pages, Brewers, Mancini and of course Schumacher

Getting the 440 to work in my Duster was the coolest thing I have ever done myself, I would have felt like I settled had I gone small block.

The two most terrifying cars near my house growing up was a 73 Mach 1 and a 71 Duster with a 440. I bought and build a 73 Mach 1 but stupidly sold it a few years ago, and now I have my real dream car in my 71 Duster.

Nothing against small blocks, nothing against small block A bodies, I have always wanted a 440 Duster end of story.

OP, whatever you want to end up with there is help here for sure. I don't know much at this point but i can tell you I could swap and A body to a big block in a weekend or less by myself which I am pretty proud of, and I am more than happy to pass on what i have learned and mistakes to avoid.

I really wish all of the salty dogs who at this point in their vast knowledge have forgotten more than I know wanted to do the same....

Do the car, flip it, and then say, "that was a LOT of work for what I'm going to get out of it "

I really wish all of the salty dogs who at this point in their vast knowledge have forgotten more than I know wanted to do the same....

You’re missing the main point. All the ‘old salty dogs’ aren’t telling him to not do it because it’s a pain or expensive just because….. they are telling him that because the young buck specifically asked about doing it with making money on a flip in mind. Not possible from his starting point.

If no flip was part of the equation and he wanted to do it for the dream and love of long term ownership all these ‘old salty dogs’ would likely be encouraging him and helping along his way

5-6 decades I workees 2-3 jobs and all weekends to find old Mopar projects, just to clean, get it running and sell it to pay for what I more wanted and be ahead a LITTLE< and to LEARN since I could not affrd to just gopay someone. Mopar LIFE was a hoot back then..
Was then and still now...hard to make a buck doing hat most do as a hobby!!!!!! Always do ALL the work,spend less adn work harder and smarter.

-
Back