explain me backfire :

-

ValerianMagnum

the little car that could
Reaction score
after a day at my work , some guys started doing starts and pushing theyre cars , trucks whatever , all fuel injected cars , no racing cars neither , but me as a no brainer , heating my car duster 360 ( chokeless carb ) for a big 20 secs , i did a start myself too , but causing enormous back fires for the next 15 feet` i failed a wanabee burnout too , no brainer !! nothing seems to be affected . but what causes that exactly and it only did it once at a cold start ...but i pushed the pedal very hard :( , took it for a 20 min ride after and was running at a perfect 160-180 temp.

engine oïl gauge is working good so i know that the oïl was doing is job , but the question is it realy unburned gas that fires up in the exhaust??? ..or so

thx , Joe

Carbed cars need to warm up enough so that they don't go into a lean condition when the throttle is opened a lot.
Not quite sure how to explain that, but a cold engine needs more fuel than a warm one.
Not a good idea to rev a cold motor anyway.

Well it ain't jus' th' backfires.

A cold engine should NEVER be "pushed."

Note to self..........never buy a used car from any of these guys...........

Carbed cars need to warm up enough so that they don't go into a lean condition when the throttle is opened a lot.
Not quite sure how to explain that, but a cold engine needs more fuel than a warm one.
Not a good idea to rev a cold motor anyway.

Because the fuel condensates on a cold engines intake runners and ports and on the cylinder wal and piston crown. If that fuel is condensated its fallen out of the mixture. Therefore the mixture is lean.

Anyone else care to add to that explanation? Im still groggy this morning lol:coffee2:

Where was the enormous backfire happening? Out of the carb or out of the muffler. My assumption like everyone else is that it backfires out of the carb because there is no choke and the engine is lean. Out of the muffler is a whole different story

nothing from the carb it was all in the back,,,i know that its not good to push a cold engine , but i wanted to know the exact reason , because i acted stupid and admit it , dont tell me that you guys never did stupid things with youre cars ... lol

everyone has done stupid thing...but to keep doing the same stupid thing over and over is really stupid...

an engine with a carb needs to warm up ....especially the intake manifold...so the fuel will atomize....

does it back backfire went the engine is warm?...if not....kind of answers your own question...

no it never backfires when its warm , was a stupid thing to do because i didnt want to damage anything ! 400 hp , 2900 stall and a hard cold launch... didnt like the feeling at all !

-
Back