Extension housing: Truck A833 conversion for an A Body?

-

Schyrjajew

Reaction score
I could possibly have an A833OD from a truck for conversion into my A body. The tailshaft of the truck transmissions is longer. Is it possible to exchange the tailshaft of the A833OD transmissions, for example a spare part from an A/F Body A833 or is the transmission rather worthless for me?

Have a 65 273 Wagon. So I would have to get a different driveshaft anyway (slip yoke). Which one fits? (Length)

20190911_113439-jpg.jpg

It is. The drawback is that the entire transmission has to come apart to do it.

Folks have put the long tail a833 transmissions in A bodies. There is some fabrication involved building a plate to get the shifter in the correct position and for under body clearance, but it has been done. Do a search here on FABO and / or the general internet as I remember seeing an article with photos and how to information.

I don't think a truck box is any different from a B/E body gearbox. You will have to be careful the parts are compatible. I don't remember if the mainshafts are compatible or whether you will have to have a OD mainshaft

The output shaft has to be changed also and it is specific to an OD trans.

Is an A body OD trans that hard to find now?

Just get some 1/4 steel plate to mount to shifter boss at end of tail...then you use 1"square tube to stack, weld, and add another 1/4 plate extending off the 1"square forward to that the shifter ends up at an a body position and out enough like the factory boss would have it.
Once the plate was one I aligned the shifter to the floor hump hole and its angle/neutral position centered with enough tilt back...marked around it...took it off..retraced in the mark the bolt holes and drilled ONE FIRST so I could snug and make sure it was where I wanted it..pivoting it till i was certain.
That's how I did mine.

Last edited:
-
Back