External Oil System

-

71-440-Duster

Reaction score
Guys,

I am looking to go external pick on my 71 Duster. I have a slant six k frame and use schumaker mounts. I am also using a melling deep rotor oil pump. I've seen different oil covers with different locations for the hose that goes to the external pick up. I also have a 440 source 7 inch, 7 quart pan and will probably go with a single static pick up. But, I am not set on this. I just need a little help putting the pieces together.

Thanks,

Rob

Haven't heard of an external pickup. Do you mean a relocated oil filter w/ hoses? Those are fairly common and generic.

Guys,

I am looking to go external pick on my 71 Duster. I have a slant six k frame and use schumaker mounts. I am also using a melling deep rotor oil pump. I've seen different oil covers with different locations for the hose that goes to the external pick up. I also have a 440 source 7 inch, 7 quart pan and will probably go with a single static pick up. But, I am not set on this. I just need a little help putting the pieces together.

Thanks,

Rob

getting ready to do the same thing in a 68 fish.keep us posted on what you run in to, and have to do(buy) to make it work. I`ve pretty much got it down, since it`s 40 plus year old technology, only thing I`m wondering about is header clearance.
thanks,bob:coffee2:

you will need to look at your clearance from the pump to the motor mount. There are usually two different flavors of pump covers...those with the hose out the back or those with the hose out the top. If its too tight for the hose to snake throught there, you will need to go with a pump cover that has the hose out the top of the pump and route the hose around it all.

X2 on this.I have one on my barracuda but it has a alterk k frame.Go into the race fourm you my have better luck there. Mark
you will need to look at your clearance from the pump to the motor mount. There are usually two different flavors of pump covers...those with the hose out the back or those with the hose out the top. If its too tight for the hose to snake throught there, you will need to go with a pump cover that has the hose out the top of the pump and route the hose around it all.

I just bought a 21815 milodon pump to set my 440 Dart up with external pick up. It seems to be the best set up using motor mounts. You will just need to use your stock pump cover.

I just bought a 21815 milodon pump to set my 440 Dart up with external pick up. It seems to be the best set up using motor mounts. You will just need to use your stock pump cover.

Thanks for the info guys.

440dartsport, which direction does the outlet for the hose point?

Thanks for all the info guys.

440dartsport, looks like it exists to the front.

I was looking at pump covers only from Milodon and might be able to get the 21215 to fit. If it fits I'd need a hose and pickup and I'm there.

Although the Milodon 21001 might fit as I moched up a bare 383 block with my Melling HV oil pump and it just might fit, with minor mods to the k-frame near the drivers mount.

The stock cover with the milodon external pick up pump should have the best clearance as far as I can see. I will find out in a month or so.

I used a 440 source external oil pump with a miloden pan and single pickup on my 383-496 stroker.
I use an engine plate instead of mounts though. I think it would still fit with mounts. Hope the pic helps

Dave

exop.jpg

23.jpg

I used a 440 source external oil pump with a miloden pan and single pickup on my 383-496 stroker.
I use an engine plate instead of mounts though. I think it would still fit with mounts. Hope the pic helps

Dave

exop.jpg

23.jpg

I`ll be using the A R E motor plate, I`m planning on modifying the k-frame to get a real oil pan on it. anyone know which tie-rod tube pan fits the A body?

bob:coffee2:

-
Back