Extreme Wiring Issues.

-

1973Kathleen

Reaction score
Okay, So i have a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport 318 904 if that matters. I recently replaced my 318 with a 1968 318 with hooker headers on it. Everything was going well until we had to pull the steering column in order to dent the header so the car can turn right. After reinstalling the steering and the whole engine is back together and everything should be wired we decided to try and crank it. it was a no crank, so i lifted it up made sure the car was in park or neutral and tried to crank. we got nothing. then i decided to see if anything else worked i had no turn signals, horn, or cranking. I never had a horn but before this everything worked. We noticed that the steering column was really plugged in and when we plugged it in everything kinda went crazy. The car still doesnt crank. my turn signals when turning left are off, when off are just lite up, when right are lite up too. my wipers wont turn off which i think has something to do with the red wire i accidentally cut when pulling the engine out. Im not sure if I have something backwards or maybe a ground isnt hooked up. Im only 16 and not 100% sure if the coil wires are backwards but im not sure if this would cause this. any help is honestly appreciated because im not sure if someone took off a ground or maybe its the fact the bulkhead connected isnt probably in the car i dont know if the clips around it are a ground and that might be causing issues. I honestly know nothing lol (the picture is an older picture i know the ground to the battery isnt hooked up in it when i tried to start it is was hooked up)

unnamed (9).jpg

a closer view of the firewall (drivers side)
a view of the inner fender where the starter relay mounts
and if you can, steering column connector.

Does the rear window have electric defrost?

Why am I asking? Because there's wiring differences and I dont want t owaster your time or mine if possible.

Something rang a bell.
I never had a horn but before this everything worked.

Really? Who you trying to kid?

my horn, hazards, reverse lights, and those turn signal thingys on the fenders dont work. I started working on it last November and the horn and fender things worked. what could have caused this?

People here are willing to help, but you have to be willing to put in the effort to learn.
And don't BS yourself or us. It doesn't make solving the issues any easier.
Did you get a multi meter?
Did you track down any of the non-functioning circuits the way Harrison suggested?
Do you have the '73 service manuals downloaded?
Did you resolve the fusebox getting hot?
If not, then that's the one we should start with.

And yes those questions are real. I want to know what the situation is before making suggestions.

Okay, So i have a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport 318 904 if that matters. I recently replaced my 318 with a 1968 318 with hooker headers on it. Everything was going well until we had to pull the steering column in order to dent the header so the car can turn right. After reinstalling the steering and the whole engine is back together and everything should be wired we decided to try and crank it. it was a no crank, so i lifted it up made sure the car was in park or neutral and tried to crank. we got nothing. then i decided to see if anything else worked i had no turn signals, horn, or cranking. I never had a horn but before this everything worked. We noticed that the steering column was really plugged in and when we plugged it in everything kinda went crazy. The car still doesnt crank. my turn signals when turning left are off, when off are just lite up, when right are lite up too. my wipers wont turn off which i think has something to do with the red wire i accidentally cut when pulling the engine out. Im not sure if I have something backwards or maybe a ground isnt hooked up. Im only 16 and not 100% sure if the coil wires are backwards but im not sure if this would cause this. any help is honestly appreciated because im not sure if someone took off a ground or maybe its the fact the bulkhead connected isnt probably in the car i dont know if the clips around it are a ground and that might be causing issues. I honestly know nothing lol (the picture is an older picture i know the ground to the battery isnt hooked up in it when i tried to start it is was hooked up)

View attachment 1716195992
Try moving the shifter through its full range of motion while having the ignition switch in the start position. This will tell you if the neutral safety switch is out of wack.

-
Back