extremely soft 2nd to 3rd shift

-
Well, I dont understand how my cable could be that messed up, I have my cable set at the exact same spot i have always had it set at, i can tell by looking at the cable at the carburetor.
The 1-2 shift is fine but the 2-3 shift is soft, and i dont understand why, It more then likely could be the shift cable, but if it is the shift cable i'm thinking it has some slack in it somewhere that i cant see. I had my friend get in the truck and floor the gas pedal and i checked the travel of the cable down on the transmission and with the gas pedal floored there was still room for the lever the shift cable hooks up to on the transmission to travel. (It wasnt pegged all the way) Could this be the issue?
Also i noticed that sometimes the shift is really soft and other times it's not and shifts fine. And while in 3rd gear when i apply throttle the transmission pulls well and does not slip at all. So I'm thinking this may be a valve body issue or shift cable issue because if it was a clutch issue it would most likely be slipping, right?

And yes, these guys that did my transmission think that they can do no wrong and that they know everything, the owner likes to argue with me over every issue i have had to bring it to them for.
First one being that they put the wrong torque converter on my engine and then tried blaming the vibration i was getting from it on my engine not firing on all 8 cylinders lol, Then i proved to him that it was running on all 8 cylinders so then he blamed it on my rear axle, I dis proved that by putting the transfer case in nuetral and running the transmission thru the gears and the vibration was right there, At that point he finally agreed that it very well could be the transmission causing the vibration.
So i like to do re-search on issues before going to him so that i can have some facts to back up what i think is happening because he loves to argue with me, i dont think they like doing warranty work.

If i could go back to the moment my transmission first burnt up, i would have just bought a brand new transmission and installed it myself, letting these guys re-build my transmission was a huge mistake. I have had nothing but probems with it. First one being that they instaklled the wrong torque converter, They fixed that free of charge, the second one being they gave me a different dip stick and dip stick tube wich was reading the fluid level wrong and there fore fluid was pooring out of the vent, They fixed that issue free of charge and now this shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear issue. Thats 3 different issues in 18 months. All i know is he better not argue with me when i bring it to them over this shifting issue.
I'm going to call him today and let him know whats going on, and make an appointment to get it checked out, I'm sure there is pressure tests they can do to determine if there is any issues inside the transmission and they can drop the pan and check out the valve body, and while they are at that they can install a shift kit. Just havent decided between the tfod-jr or the tfod-hd2, i dont need anything too radical, but i would like some firmer shifts. Maybe i should just tell him to do his own magic to it to get it to shift firmer.
Since the owner told me he dont care for shift kits because he can do modifacations to the valve body himself to get firmer shifts, so i guess i will ask how he feels about installing one, but first i want them to look over the transmission and make sure there isnt any problems with it and if there isnt then let them install a shift kit or do some tweaking on it or whatever.
It just frustrates me that i spent 2500.00 bucks on this transmission and it cant even have over 5000 miles on it yet and it just wont stay consistent. Maybe its just a cable adjustment, i Just dont know.

Well i found a transgo tfod-jr shift kit for 25.00 bucks, i think i am going to go ahead and purchase it and make an appointment for the tranny shop to install it, and i will ask them to look everything over while they have the pan off and make sure everything is ok.
The tranny is shifting much better today??? So i dont know whats going on, but its defanatly not slipping in any of the gears including reverse, it just sometimes shifts into 3rd a little softer then i'd prefer. So hopefull the tfod-jr will take care of that.

If the cable isn't pulling the lever on the trans. all the way the shift will be softer. The farther it pulls the lever the higher the throttle pressure and the firmer the shifts. But at the same time it also raises the speed at which it shifts when you adjust the cable to make it pull farther so you have to balance it out between how firm you want the shift and at what speed.

They charged you $2500 to rebuild your trans? That's freaking outrageous unless it had blown up and they had to replace nearly everything!! Sounds like a bunch of crooks that don't even know what their doing.

x2, the first sign is giving you a hard time, your the customer, your always right. If they didn't screw up in the first place you wouldn't be here. Sorry man. Milk that warranty work.

-
Back