EZ wiring Ignition Problems

-

67Plymouthbarracuda

Reaction score
I installed a wiring harness from EZ wiring, but I am getting no spark. I am connected up properly according to the diagrams, so I'm wondering if it might be my ignition module. I have a chrome 5-pin that I bought online (I can't find a part number to get it at a store locally). I spoke on the phone with the guy from EZ and he had me check my wires, and I accidentally had the tach wire done wrong, sending power to the negative post on the coil. I took that off but I'm still getting no spark so I'm worried I may have fried the ecu. Does anyone know of a sure way to test this? Also I have my old 4-pin, can that go right in? Ive seen people say you can and you can't so I'm not sure. I have a 4 pin ballast resistor.

Put your voltmeter on coil + terminal. Crank the engine using the KEY. See if you voltage during cranking. You likely did NOT get IGN2 hooked up

This originally is a brown going from the IGN2 terminal of the ignition switch to the coil + side of the ballast

Why??? and how??? did you get a 5 pin? This is older inferior technology. By the way some boxes HAVE 5 pins but they are in reality a 4 pin box, electrically. Only way to tell is to check resistance from the 5th pin to others. I suppose you could disconnect power to the 5th pin and see if it runs.

Also make certain you have the resistor wired correctly. "They" are different one side to the other. The "U" shaped cutout on one end is an index so you know which is which.

i did the 5-pin module and 4-pin resistor because that is how EZ wiring did it according to the diagram

OK so is it getting voltage as I asked you earlier?

Because this is no longer factory wiring, and because you may have made a mistake, I can only imagine how it's wired, as opposed to looking at a diagram and so on.

Most of these aftermarket people do not properly address the IGN 2 brown wire ballast bypass wire.

i put a test light on the (+) terminal on the coil. I cranked it, it is getting power, then i put it inside the boot of the wire coming off the coil, got power again, but when I tried to ground it against the block, no spark. Same thing with pulling a spark plug

And I spoke to him on the phone when I wired the ignition, according to him and all the mopar ignition switches hes helped wire, I wired it correctly

That tells me exactly nothing. If we were in a bar bullshitting over a beer, that would be one thing, but you asked a question as if you are looking for an answer. If you really want help, you need to pay attention. If you just want to BS, then have fun.

There is a REASON I asked you to take a voltage measurement. At this point I have no idea if it's

A....wired wrong

B....Something wrong with the EZ harness end of things

C...something wrong with the ignition, IE bad ECU, resistor, coil, distributor, or wired wrong within that small area

D...other////????

alright, no need to be an ***, ill check it with a voltmeter and get back to you. still new to wiring

alright, no need to be an ***, ill check it with a voltmeter and get back to you. still new to wiring

If you want help fixing it I will help you. Otherwise?? And I'm not being an ***. Maybe you need a reminder, that last time I checked, no body is paying us on this site to do this.

I cannot sit here and conjure up what you have, what you have done. My signature? That comes from others

Here's "how I think."

The EZ wire may have a problem, meaning, within the harness as supplied

You may have made a mistake interconnecting.

The "Mopar ignition" part of the harness may be wired wrong

The ignition may have a faulty component(s)

We have to work through all this.

Another thing we need to go through this is a weblink to the specific part no EZ harness you have.

Did you connect Ign.1 and Ign.2 together at the ignition switch?

yeah sorry about that weblink, I didnt make it, it just automatically did that when I typed "EZ wiring"... don't click this one either lol

And sorry for calling you an ***, been frustrated with this for a while and stressed out about a lot of other things.

http://www.ezwiring.com/store/viewitem.php?productid=4
this is what I have, it is the 21 circuit harness.
and yes I connected Ign. 1 and Ign. 2
Did the 10.2V at the coil while cranking tell you what you need to know?

Just to confirm, you are saying that cranking the engine AND you are using the key, that is not by jumpering the starter relay you have 10.2 at the coil?

If that is true the trouble is likely "right there" in the immediate ignition system, under the hood.

Here's the deal on Mopar ECU

The older 5 pin ECU MUST have a 4 pin resistor.

The newer 4 pin module CAN use either a 4 or 2 pin resistor.......it's simply that the other 1/2 is not used

You can NOT tell a 4 pin module from a 5 pin "always" because many (probably most) replacement 4 pin modules actually have 5 physical pins. If you "need to know" you'll have to check resistance on the "last" pin.

It might be worth knowing that either on a 2 pin resistor or a 4 pin, the 1/2 of the resistor hooked to the coil works exactly the same as the old points cars. In fact, If you converted, say, and still have the points distributor, all you need do if the ECU quits is to unplug the ECU, unhook the coil NEG wire, and plunk the points dist. in there and hook up the NEG wire.

I say that maybe help you understand the circuit. The basic 4 pin ECU is :

Not shown here is the IGN2 connection which electrically hooks to coil POS

Also, l electrically, a 4 pin module, the left half of the resistor is simply not used.

Ignition_System_5pin.jpg

OK so since you have cranking voltage to the coil the trouble is likely "right here" in this diagram so to speak

Next thing I'd do........

1....REALLY make certain the ECU is grounded. To double check turn the key to "run." Measure coil+ voltage which will vary, It should be well below battery voltage perhaps 6--8 volts.

You can also check coil NEG voltage which should be very low, perhaps 1/2 --1 volts. If both coil + and coil - are quite high, it means the coil is not drawing current through the ECU box.

2....With the key in run, hold the coil wire near a ground point, or use a spark checker. Remove the distributor connector, take the engine half of the connector and tap the bare end to ground. This should produce a spark each time

3...Remove the cap, inspect distributor. Look for shaft wobble, bent, strike damage in the pickup and reluctor, and check the reluctor gap at .008" (inches) with a BRASS feeler. O'Really's used to carry those.

4...Hook your multimeter set for low AC volts. That is correct, AC, not DC. Crank the engine while the meter is hooked into the distributor connector. The distributor should generate about 1V AC. Also check resistance across the distributor connector. This is not terribly important, these seem to vary from around 200-400 ohms. Much higher or lower, replace.

Also check resistance from each wire to ground. Should be infinite, that is, open.

5...Inspect the distributor connector, and "work" it in/ out several times to "scrub" the terminals clean and to feel for tightness. This is ESPECIALLY important with this connector as there is only a tiny signal going through there.

Repeat 5 with the ECU connector.

6....If nothing else "jives" there are always wild cards. What do you have for parts? Spare used coil, spare distributor? Does not take long to try them if you have them.

7...If you have a tach or ANYTHING else hooked to coil NEG, unhook that, so that there is only the one wire to the ECU.

Alright. I did jump the starter to the relay with the key on (was by myself) so I'll go back and do that properly after class. Then I will check the rest of those things and get back to you. Thank you!

That is an indication that the ECU is not turning the coil on, or that the ECU is not grounded.

Wiring problem 'right in' the ECU area

not grounded ECU

or bad ECU

===========================

Turn the key to 'run.' Stab one probe of your meter to the engine block.

Stab the other into the metal mounting flange of the ECU. If you read 'anything at all' it is not grounded. 'What you want" is zero

For checking with the meter, stab into the case metal of the ECU. You are trying to determine if the case is grounded. The bolts might or might not be depending on paint, rust, loose.

Or just remove and scrape around the bolt holes on firewall and ECU. use star lock washers, or 'for tonight' at least some form of lock washers.

If that is not the problem, starting to sound like a wiring error right in that immediate circuit, maybe even a bad connection in the ECU connector, or a bad ECU

Well then time to really check the wiring around the ECU, and if that doesn't turn up anything, try another ECU. I'm speaking here of the diagram I posted above. Make sure the right stuff is going to the right places, so to speak.

Any warmth? from the ECU case?

Here's a post I made about the simplest way I know to get across testing the ECU/ ignition parts

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1970917976&postcount=6

You need a coil, the ECU and the distributor

Lay it out on the bench. Follow the diagram. Find the two distributor pickup terminals on the ECU. Hook them to the distributor

Hook the ECU case to battery NEG

Coil does NOT need grounded

Distributor does NOT need grounded.

Hook coil + to the power lead terminal on the ECU. Get a clip lead hooked there and let dangle. This is your battery "hot" when you are ready

Hook something from coil "case" to a probe for testing spark.

Hook up your power clip lead. Twist the distributor shaft while holding the test probe near the coil tower. The thing should make sparks

If not, unhook distributor. Take first one, then the other pickup clip leads, and "tap tap" ground them at the battery connection. Coil should make 1 spark each time you do so.

If not, try another coil. If that does not fix it replace the ECU

IF you hook it all up and it WORKS, then there is something AFU in the car harness. SUSPECT a bad ECU connector OR a bad DISTRIBUTOR connector
=============================================
This is all you need to test the basics of the ignition. You can easily test the ballast separate. A battery, the ECU, distributor and a coil, and of course some test leads

2ai0wsj.jpg

Below, the basic diagram for a 4 pin ECU

166lmj7.jpg

Below, the wire for testing spark. I use my 12V test light. No, LOL the spark won't blow up the bulb

166lmj7.jpg

Below, the ground connection. ALL you need is one wire from batt NEG to the ECU case

xawjl.jpg

Below, the two distributor connections. In the car these are polarity sensitive, but for testing does not matter

b3opvm.jpg

Below, the coil NEG connection

6jfywp.jpg

Below, battery PLUS connection, one wire to this terminal of ECU and jumpered over to + side of coil

11lqu5l.jpg

Below, all hooked up and ready to test (except for battery ground). Should produce sparks at least 3/8" and typically 1/2" long

1zzoya0.jpg

Below, distributor "one wire" test. I have removed the other distributor wire for simplicity. Take the bare connector end or this clip lead (the yellow) and with everything hooked up, ground it repeatedly. Each grounding should result in a spark (In this photo you need to hook up the ECU ground wire, I left it off for the photo)

vgitld.jpg

-
Back