F**K YOU TAIWANESE/CHINESE MADE JUNK

-

Ant

Reaction score
Got my new water neck and the thermostat does not fit, but fits perfectly fine in the old crusty water neck. I'm getting tired of new junk parts, now I need to grind the thermostat smaller to make it fit in the Taiwan/Chinese water neck.

20240703_204552.jpg

20240703_204658.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think I'd grind on the thermostat- those halves are crimped together around the outer edge and the last thing you'd want is a bunch of little parts swimming around in your radiator and water pump. Bite the bullet and get a different t-stat housing.

What intake are you runnng? Most aftermarket intakes have the recess the thermostat fits into.

I don't think I'd grind on the thermostat- those halves are crimped together around the outer edge and the last thing you'd want is a bunch of little parts swimming around in your radiator and water pump. Bite the bullet and get a different t-stat housing.
This thermostat is not that type, taking a smidge off the edge will be fine. Also I may cut the recess a little bit bigger which is not a hard job to do, but it so sure does suck when I have to fix new parts.
Will the old one work? If so, I'd just use that one.
Maybe with lots of RTV lol. It's really bad, that why I'm replacing it.
What intake are you runnng? Most aftermarket intakes have the recess the thermostat fits into.
Edelbrock 2176 Performer, there is no recess.
I'm not seeing the size difference in the original photos since the thermostat flange is obscuring the recess?
It's just about too small.
Where did you purchase this from?
Summit and whoever is the lowest bidder for Summit.

Part # from Summit? Helps the next guy.
This thermostat is not that type, taking a smidge off the edge will be fine. Also I may cut the recess a little bit bigger which is not a hard job to do, but it so sure does suck when I have to fix new parts.

Maybe with lots of RTV lol. It's really bad, that why I'm replacing it.

Edelbrock 2176 Performer, there is no recess.

It's just about too small.

Summit actually sells quite a few parts that are made in the USA, including under their Summit brand. They also list a “country of origin” right on the info page for the parts they sell, and most of their parts have a “made in the USA” icon right on the picture.

There are at least half a dozen thermostat housings for an LA engine that are made in the US listed on Summits website.

So the lowest bidder was you.

Along the subject...
The Chinese are slowly screwing us. Either driving us bonkers with stupid translated directions or crappy chinesium parts.
Oh, and sending over the SPY balloons ...lmao.

I really think QC has been getting worse over the past decade or two. There are things that I know some "mechanics" or "auto technicians" would not find until they have a big problem. That water neck would be a leaking because the gasket will not getting squished enough because the thermostat won't sit in the recess.

I have more QC gore, I bought a new "premium" distributor that needed a rebuild right out of the box. The reluctor was hitting the pickup, the mechanisms for the vacuum advance that pickup rotates on was bent and there was binding from the lack of proper lubrication. Oh wait, my favorite it the warranty void if removed sticker which will not only come off after some operation of the vacuum advance, but is also illegal for this purpose. QC is going away, and I know some of those **** mechanics will not catch the **** that I find.

20230429_133753.jpg

20230429_133939.jpg

Summit actually sells quite a few parts that are made in the USA, including under their Summit brand. They also list a “country of origin” right on the info page for the parts they sell, and most of their parts have a “made in the USA” icon right on the picture.

There are at least half a dozen thermostat housings for an LA engine that are made in the US listed on Summits website.

So the lowest bidder was you.
Such a simple part, I assumed it was too simple to mess up, and Summit puts their label on it. I was wrong.

Such a simple part, I assumed it was too simple to mess up, and Summit puts their label on it. I was wrong.

Look at the reviews for the made in the US Milodon thermostat that costs twice as much. Same issue.

You want to blame summit, but you bought a ten dollar thermostat housing.

And, what makes you think the thermostat is the right size?

Says the part number in the order confirmation… and delivery and delivery update. And then the delivery is made. It may just be on the A-Tech side… it’s hella annoying..

Look at the reviews for the made in the US Milodon thermostat that costs twice as much. Same issue.

You want to blame summit, but you bought a ten dollar thermostat housing.

And, what makes you think the thermostat is the right size?
I don't know if I can get anything that is right anymore for any car that I work on. I see made in Germany, Japan or USA printed on the item in the photo and what get is made in low quality land China or something. I've even sent parts back to the autoparts store because they did not meet my quality standards. Hell, when I regularly worked on cars as a mechanic, some new brake pad sets were grind to fit, and yes, the brackets were cleaned. It was hit and miss fitment and quality issues.

Along the subject...
The Chinese are slowly screwing us. Either driving us bonkers with stupid translated directions or crappy chinesium parts.
Oh, and sending over the SPY balloons ...lmao.

Behind every cheap off shore part is an American Company.

Lord Profit rules this kingdom.

Thanks, chrome.....NOPE right there.
Other than the smaller diameter recess, it's really not that bad, but I can fix the issue easily, someone else in this hobby without the same skill, knowledge and tools may not be able to. For that reason, I can't recommend that part.

-
Back