F**K YOU TAIWANESE/CHINESE MADE JUNK

-
Just my 2c, op influenced me to go check my recently purchased t stat housing and t stat. Rock Auto for both, 5 bucks for housing. Perfect

Rock Auto.jpg

Somebody, somewhere, would probably put that new thermostat housing in a lathe and just cut the opening bigger till the thermostat fit, or till they ruined it.

Let me save you (OP) some aggravation. Take that housing and throw it off a bridge now and find a factory piece. I’ve tried two of those and they both warped after about 6 months worth of heat cycles. I’d take them off and mill them flat again only to have them warp again. No amount of RTV will fix it. Bad metallurgy.

Do you know the specs for the thermostat OD? Maybe the stat is the culprit?
IDK, It's a stock replacement stat from carquest and it fits fine with plenty of room in the old housing. I shaved a little off the edge with the grinder and it fits like a glove now. I might shave the housing/neck recess a liitle bit too just incase for future repairs.

Somebody, somewhere, would probably put that new thermostat housing in a lathe and just cut the opening bigger till the thermostat fit, or till they ruined it.

That’s what I’d do. How could you possibly ruin it?

Worse case scenario is the thing is already garbage but if you can’t walk up to a lathe, indicate the thing in and open up the hole correctly you shouldn’t be walking up to a lathe in the first place.

And that’s not directed at you personally. I used you in general terms.

That’s what I’d do. How could you possibly ruin it?

Worse case scenario is the thing is already garbage but if you can’t walk up to a lathe, indicate the thing in and open up the hole correctly you shouldn’t be walking up to a lathe in the first place.

And that’s not directed at you personally. I used you in general terms.

One of my regrets in life is that I never took the time to
Learn how to use my lathe. It’s an older Craftsman lathe that really needs a new chuck. It’s hid away in my house garage that’s like a block storage dungeon. If my son ever gets his duster out of my shop it’s getting moved in.

Learn how to use my lathe. It’s an older Craftsman lathe that really needs a new chuck. It’s hid away in my house garage that’s like a block storage dungeon. If my son ever gets his duster out of my shop it’s getting moved in.
I always thought a lathe and mill would be fun. Just messing around making stuff. A Mill would be good to correct that t stat step. Getting a odd shaped piece would be tough to get set for machining.

Is it a threaded chuck or a plain back chuck?? I suppose it could be new enough for a cam lock chuck.

Just curious.

I don’t agree with you often but I sure do here. Chrome housings hope the worst reputation in the business.
If it needs to shine, billet or Stainless with No gaskets an O Ring type works best. I do have a few new older ones that are plated but are 25-35 years old. Some sold for Mopar are really Chevy ones

This should answer any questions about the thermostat being wrong. I put the old stat on it and it still does not fit. Also, yes the stat is upside down.

20240704_104832.jpg

20240704_105204.jpg

OP I think you are cruizin for a bruizin here on this. I think you should grit your teeth and heave that thing.

You know why people like Pitts and 4spd say stuff like they did?

Because when we were young, WAY back in the SEVENTIES, we bought cheap junk aftermarket CHROME ALLOY water necks and they LEAKED

I don't know whether the surface finish is wrong for the gasket, or the alloy is soft and warps or what.

I never bought or thought about buying a chrome water neck. lol
I was busy keeping clean spark plugs and oil in my engine.
I've been known to use chrome aluminum paint on small parts. Better than chrome , more power, lol

OP I think you are cruizin for a bruizin here on this. I think you should grit your teeth and heave that thing.

You know why people like Pitts and 4spd say stuff like they did?

Because when we were young, WAY back in the SEVENTIES, we bought cheap junk aftermarket CHROME ALLOY water necks and they LEAKED

I don't know whether the surface finish is wrong for the gasket, or the alloy is soft and warps or what.
Cast aluimiunm will seal until it gets enough heat cool cycles. A good billet won't leak, it will last the test of time.

Is it a threaded chuck or a plain back chuck?? I suppose it could be new enough for a cam lock chuck.

Just curious.
The Craftsman lathes never used a cam lock chuck. They were all threaded spindles. The Craftsman 6" swing baby lathes used 1"-8 or 1"-10 threaded spindles, depending on when it was made. The larger 10"/12" swing Atlas/Craftsman lathes all used a 1 1/2"-8 threaded spindle noses. There are tons of options for new and used three and four jaw chucks out there for very reasonable prices. A three jaw is quicker, but less precise, while a four jaw can be dialed in to eliminate all runout, but takes a little effort. Nothing wrong with a threaded spindle but you need to be careful if you are plugging reverse or the chuck can unthread itself and end up in your lap.

-
Back