F5 Duster

-

abodyjim

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so your first thought is F5? Not a color but a play on the word "twister". I was looking for a unique name that hadn't been used(that I know of) so let me know what you think.
Some background, I've owned it for 32 year's, that's right, bought it from the original owner.
During the 90's the car got a mini tub, roll cage, w2 small block, 5.38 gear, slicks and the 4 speed. It was street raced about until 2000. I decided to paint the car so I took it apart, had it striped and it sat for the next 15 years. It waited it's turn due to family obligations and other projects. Well it's finally time. I got a jump start before joining, spent the winter doing metal work getting it ready for paint and body.
Enjoy

~3483778.jpg

Okay, I guess I didn't completely abandoned the car the last 15. This is where I started in December. I had already installed the quarter, the rocker, fitted and tacked the core support and cowl in. I'll add some of those pics too when I find them.

20151010_164903.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple more. I need to figure out the pic size problem then I'll get some more posted.

20151226_135948.jpg

20151226_141957.jpg

Nice! These 70s a-bodies were always my favorite drag car look. They should have come tubbed and slammed with bigs and littles from the factory. Lol

So are your plans just a repaint and putting it back the way it was or are there upgrades and changes in store ?
Either way, it look like you've got a very clean slate and solid start(after the panel replacement).

Thanks Tinman2.
Thanks Ross, it's amazing how fast things can start escalating in a build. My first goal was get the metal work done spray it in some black epoxy put it back together and take it on power tour this year. Six months should of been plenty of time, right? It was a complete car. After 3 months of welding and grinding the reality set in that the deadline wasn't gonna happen. New plan ready for power tour 2017. The actual plan is to stay true to its past but capable of being a drag week beast. I decided to ditch the flat black idea and go with the new b5 blue pearlcoat color some custom stripes and hood. I'm working on a 420ci w2 small block combo 500/600 hp. Some areas that still need addressed are brakes, fuel, safety and comfort. No real trick stuff for suspension in this one, maybe upgrade the k with some of your ideas. The rear is leafs ladder bars and floaters. Big drag radials and skinny front runners for tires. I have a couple ideas for the wheels but who knows when that day gets here. My paint and body guy is slow right now so I'm rushing to round up everything to get him the car so he can start on panel alignment and some priming and blocking while I'm swamped with work and hitting some shows in Daisy.

Check out the replica Halibrands on HemiDenny's Duster.

F5 as in a tornado.. like it. Just an off observation.. nothing to do with the car at all... really like the extension cord shortcut... :thumbsup:

I decided to ditch the flat black idea and go with the new b5 blue pearlcoat color some custom stripes and hood.
Awesome choice on going with the new B5 Blue Pearlcoat. I tried to make a deal on a new Charger in that color but the dealership was a piece of .....well you know.

F5 as in a tornado.. like it. Just an off observation.. nothing to do with the car at all... really like the extension cord shortcut... :thumbsup:
I wish I could take credit for that but it's a rented space. I've always assumed it was heat tape for the water line but I guess it could be the neighbor tapping into my electric, lol

Last edited:
That's gonna be awesome!! Can't wait to see it with the new B5!! I'm considering painting my 72 that as well if/when I paint it

wow - you're in deep on this one huh..?
This is just the outside stuff. Wait until I get to the stuff under the car. I was a little worried the first time off jack stands if all four wheels would touch at the same time. Lol
Body guy still has to set the gaps so I'm not out of the woods yet.

I found these, this is what I had after having it stripped. I wish I would of documented the work a little better back then.

duster3.jpg

duster4.jpg

Picture 1004.jpg

-
Back