Fabbing an Oil Pickup

-

T56MaxTorq

Reaction score
For my turbo-teen I did all the oil mods except the crossover tube on a mag block. Including grinding out the #5 cap and pump. For the pump Intake and pickup I was going to tap 1/2 NPT and run a copper tube to a fancy sheet metal pickup and mesh screen that will sit inside my homemade baffled pan. I have a standard volume pump I’m a new dad (again) and funds are low so I’m trying to finish this up free.

I have some silver solder I picked up from a friend to fuse the copper tube to the the sheet metal screen box. I figured I can bend the tube easily by hand with sand.

Since I did the oil mods I suppose I must finish it off with a nice fat intake and wide mouth screen. Trailbeast solidified the importance of our oil system and I know my bearing clearances all-round. I usually run 20w50 syn because I know the turbo will super heat the oil and it gets changed often enough anyways.

Will take some pics with progress.

Also,copper work hardens and tends to crack. How about scrounging a couple pickup tubes and cutting/welding them. Although its a heavy wall tube,it is soft enough to bend.
I get the budget thing, been there.

Be careful with your pickup design. I'm convinced that the "new" trumped shaped pickups are the cause of the oil press drop in my (now gone) White whale

One on right came out, it was picking up a SMALL AMOUNT of soft flakes in the oil (sludge) and plugging after awhile. I replaced it with the older style on the left. Turns out you cannot do that in a 4x4 Dakota, the pan sump is too small

pickup-jpg.1714955505
[/URL]

Well the "new improved" software JUST SCREWED ME AGAIN. MADE A MINOR TYPING MISTAKE AND NOW YOU CANNOT CORRECT IT WITHOUT A GOD DAMN ACT OF CONGRESS

pickup-jpg.jpg

Below is either Dakota/ Durango, I forget which

img_0908cs-jpg.jpg

I forget which is what, these are all out of 5.2 Magnums.

img_0902cs-jpg.jpg

I built one of my pickups using the dipstick tube for a 727 transmission. It's thin wall Steel and 3/4 in.
The other one I did I used a mulidon pickup which uses a thin wall steel pipe and I put the half inch npt on both of these.
Here is a link that discuss what you're wanting to do check it out.

Small Block Oil Pick Up Tube Question

Well ****. Pretty thick wall copper tho, type “K”. Came off a hot high pressure hydraulic circuit, .065” wall, .650 ID. I have some inconel tube laying around but it’s a little over .70” ID - seems too large maybe and I feel it’s too difficult to work with

Have you ever heard of a motor that used a bass or copper pickup tube for the oil?
I haven't.

Oil pump and pick up is not an area where you want to make a mistake.

I fix aircraft, I’ve seen all kinds of goofy ****. In this case, copper isn’t ever selected because its too expensive. I have scrap and I’m making just 1, not millions. Maybe I’m not convinced. This is some pretty heavy duty copper, not brass. If SHTF I just fab from inconel. Copper sounds more fun IMO.

I appreciate your input Jad, and after reading over more threads, maybe larger pipe I have would be better and better material.

Couldn’t find a bit of inconel flatstock. Probably a good thing since I’ll likely have to fab a passenger side header from the tubing later this season. Just have some 304 tube and I may reuse the majority of the old Dakota mesh box. My oil pan baffle doesn’t offer much wiggle room for anything larger. Should accomplish the same goal since the tubing size is larger.

Couldn’t find a bit of inconel flatstock. Probably a good thing since I’ll likely have to fab a passenger side header from the tubing later this season. Just have some 304 tube and I may reuse the majority of the old Dakota mesh box. My oil pan baffle doesn’t offer much wiggle room for anything larger. Should accomplish the same goal since the tubing size is larger.

What about using the the stainless cover from a backyard grill?

You can get some 3/4 OD steel tube from The Home Depot to carefully form and attach to a 1/2 pipe nipple.

Model # 801237
Internet #204225742
Store SKU #468523

I cut and welded a stock truck style pickup back to passenger car size in my 360 build.
A pic of the welded tube can be seen on my page below;
360 engine update

If you do intend to use copper, make sure the tube is well supported to limit any kind of vibration from the running engine otherwise it will develop cracks.

-
Back