Fabricating a Turbo Header

-

gremlin

268Darts
Reaction score
I have family in H-Town,
(for rizzle)
Born and raised there!!
Northside, Jensen Dr. @ Tidwell.... Been gone for many years,. Streetraced a many Sunday nights at Rankin(Rankin Circle and Goodnight Trail).. Miss the Old days!!

Moved 40 miles West to get away from nosey neighbors and stiffs that didn't like my racecars! Damn Civic assosiations!!!

I have family in H-Town,
(for rizzle)
Born and raised there!!
Northside, Jensen Dr. @ Tidwell.... Been gone for many years,. Streetraced a many Sunday nights at Rankin(Rankin Circle and Goodnight Trail).. Miss the Old days!!

Moved 40 miles West to get away from nosey neighbors and stiffs that didn't like my racecars! Damn Home Owner Associations!!!

i really want that turbo kit :/............some day

After watching my partner, Freddie, spend an inordinate amount of time fabricting a header for our slant six turbo car, I am wondering just how much Horsepower and torque it would have cost us to just attach a turbo flange to the stock exhaust manifold and not build a header.

I know that we spent over a thousand dollars on this header, and we have NO IDEA how much better, if any, it will prove to be in the real world of drag racing, once we get started running the car.

Does anyone on this board have any hard information as to what the difference might be? That stock manifold looks to me like it could flow some serious air, once the exit was fitted with a sizeable turbo flange.

Opinions?

We could have taken the thousand dollars we spent on this header, and paid a head guru for a top-dollar porting job.... for instance.:read2:

Anybody????

After watching my partner, Freddie, spend an inordinate amount of time fabricting a header for our slant six turbo car, I am wondering just how much Horsepower and torque it would have cost us to just attach a turbo flange to the stock exhaust manifold and not build a header.

I know that we spent over a thousand dollars on this header, and we have NO IDEA how much better, if any, it will prove to be in the real world of drag racing, once we get started running the car.

Does anyone on this board have any hard information as to what the difference might be? That stock manifold looks to me like it could flow some serious air, once the exit was fitted with a sizeable turbo flange.

Opinions?

We could have taken the thousand dollars we spent on this header, and paid a head guru for a top-dollar porting job.... for instance.:read2:

Anybody????

I have read that equal length tubes really won't increase the Hp all that much. Flow will be restricted by the turbo anyway! I think you would have seen the same results with just a log!!

The turbo can be the restriction but you need to get the exhaust to the turbo to spool it up. Can you make good power with logs, yeah but you leave power on the table. A good header will aide in quicker spool times and better efficiency once it is spooled. There is a reason the fast cars have nice headers.

The turbo can be the restriction but you need to get the exhaust to the turbo to spool it up. Can you make good power with logs, yeah but you leave power on the table. A good header will aide in quicker spool times and better efficiency once it is spooled. There is a reason the fast cars have nice headers.

I understand your position but check this out...............

Log Style Headers made over 2000HP

Also.......

Block Hugger $179.00 Headers made almost 1600 HP on a SBC at that went 7.21 @192 MPH

Pictures of the engines are HERE..............

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143580.0

Video.............

Backfire blows the intake apart in the process

[ame="http://www.streetfire.net/video/twin-turbo-hemi-dyno-run-2047-hp-1795-torque_113176.htm"]Object reference not set to an instance of an object.[/ame]

[ame="http://www.streetfire.net/video/good-run-fuel-rail-modified-no-backfire-problems_111390.htm"]Object reference not set to an instance of an object.[/ame]

My point is that 2000 hp motor would probably make even more power with a good header. Also it is a dyno session versus actual racing. A shorty header works real good for turbo apps, it keeps the heat near the turbine housing and helps spool the turbo up.

My point is that 2000 hp motor would probably make even more power with a good header. Also it is a dyno session versus actual racing. A shorty header works real good for turbo apps, it keeps the heat near the turbine housing and helps spool the turbo up.

I hear ya! On my next one I will go all out on the headers for sure!
Need to take my first HIT off the pipe then I will be hooked chasing the first hit of BOOST!

I know it is not an apples to apples comparison but I went from a factory slant 6 manifold to a header plus to another turbo at the same time and picked up 60hp. This was at the same boost level (87 GN turbo to pte 6262dbb)

I know it is not an apples to apples comparison but I went from a factory slant 6 manifold to a header plus to another turbo at the same time and picked up 60hp. This was at the same boost level (87 GN turbo to pte 6262dbb)

Tom,
Too bad you changed two things at once; it would have been nice to have had a straight-across comparison between the two exhaust systems, You built a really efficient header, I think!

Tom,
Too bad you changed two things at once; it would have been nice to have had a straight-across comparison between the two exhaust systems, You built a really efficient header, I think!

The header Freddie built (the one in my avatar picture), according to Gerry at the G-Pop Shop, really should have the Waste Gate located where the bung for the oxygen sensor is, so it will exhaust both sets of three cylinders equally (won't do that, as built) and the oxygen sensor acsolutely needs to be located in the down pipe (AFTER the turbo...).

Now, they tell me.... :angry7:

But, he put that stuff where I told him to put it.... not HIS FAULT!

I say this is a strong argument for the header.

Yes, 2 things were changed, and yes, the PTE turbo is probably a little better at the same PSI as the GN turbo, but the turbo alone is not going to account for 60HP at the same boost. I think a case could be made for a 50/50 split here. 50% increase due to more efficient, more modern turbo, and 50% goes to flow of header.

While the turbo is definately a restriction, the engine is still an air pump, and in this case where you are putting additional air flow through the engine via positive pressure from turbo, the engine still needs to get the exhaust out (even more so now that you have X lbs of boost), and the header offers an easier and less restrictive path out.

No doubt logs work in turbo apps, but much of that is short proximity to exhaust port outlet, and heat retention in exhaust. Tubular headers do not NORMALLY put the turbo that much further away from exhaust port then manifolds, and when coated or wrapped, can't lose that much heat.

I hear ya! On my next one I will go all out on the headers for sure!
Need to take my first HIT off the pipe then I will be hooked chasing the first hit of BOOST!

Louis, your set up is perfect! I wouldn't change a thing. If you look around the turbo forums there are a ton of Mustang guys with 8 second streetable turbo set ups that use the shorty header! Once you get that first hit of crack theres no going back! I think your going to be outright shocked when you get that beast running! I hope after its running and your a big star, you remember us little people!

Tom,

I may scab together some quick logs for my Turbo Dart and do a back to back comparison. Should be easy enough for me with my set up. Its going to take me a year to get my poo running.

Opinions?

Anybody????

Soooooo,does that mean you want to sell your that beautiful work of art ??:toothy10:

Soooooo,does that mean you want to sell your that beautiful work of art ??:toothy10:

Well, the problem is, we don't have a replacement for it...:angry7:

Bt, I'll tell Freddie about your kind words... he'll appreciate them!:profilel:

-
Back