Factory AC Removal Questions

-

demon322

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Helping my uncle work on his Dart. I have no experience working with AC in these cars. Was wondering how these boxes are attached under the dash and how hard they are to remove.

I won’t be near the car until the weekend so I’m just curious as to what I will be looking at. I assume this is a factory setup but I am not even sure about that.

Thank you.

IMG_4950.jpeg

Yes, it's factory.
The underdash part is just the vent, the main AC components are up behind the dash in the AC/heater box.
The vent just attaches to the dash with a few screws, I forget how many- it's been a while since I pulled one off. You should be able to tell once you get down there beneath it.
I'm sure someone will chime in with a little more precise detail.

As PF said that's factory. Why are u removing it? AC heaterbox and NON AC heaterbox are different. The factory ac in our 67 cuda isn't hooked up, but I left the underdash diffuser in as well as the orig heaterbox.

The vent is removed by 2 1/4 20 nuts from underneath, Go up through the holes in the underside of the vent assembly with a 7/16 deep well socket and an extension and remove those nuts and the vent will come off.

The AC assembly is removed by the 1/4 20 nuts on the firewall under the hood.There is some behind the engine but you can get to them . The fan should come off first removing the screws facing in on the rim of the fan then the fan slips off the box rim.

There is also a rod inside the passenger vent door that holds the box up to the cowl seal. That is secured with one 1/4" hex screw on the bottom of the box pre 73 and inside the door on 73 - 76 Then its just the wires ,cables, and hoses.. You will have to remove the glove box , ash tray, radio and kick panel to get it down and out easily. Good luck.

It's a good idea to take the front seat (or seats) out so you can lay down and get in there. Like said just two small nuts holding the vent on. The rest of the stuff is on the upper right under the Dash. You also have a few control wires and vacuum lines to disconnect behind the Dash where you turn the ac on.

The Blower Motor and A/C hoses have to be disconnected under hood too.

Easy. Even for an old guy. Try removing the ENTIRE dash out of a Dakota/ Ram to replace the heater / AC core.

As PF said that's factory. Why are u removing it? AC heaterbox and NON AC heaterbox are different. The factory ac in our 67 cuda isn't hooked up, but I left the underdash diffuser in as well as the orig heaterbox.
This is a parts car he bought for parts for his 68 GTS. I need to remove the cluster, wiring, switches, and dash pads and I just assumed (maybe incorrectly?) that all that would be easier with that vent out of the way, especially since I don’t think he will be using the AC setup in the other car.

The vent is removed by 2 1/4 20 nuts from underneath, Go up through the holes in the underside of the vent assembly with a 7/16 deep well socket and an extension and remove those nuts and the vent will come off.

The AC assembly is removed by the 1/4 20 nuts on the firewall under the hood.There is some behind the engine but you can get to them . The fan should come off first removing the screws facing in on the rim of the fan then the fan slips off the box rim.

There is also a rod inside the passenger vent door that holds the box up to the cowl seal. That is secured with one 1/4" hex screw on the bottom of the box pre 73 and inside the door on 73 - 76 Then its just the wires ,cables, and hoses.. You will have to remove the glove box , ash tray, radio and kick panel to get it down and out easily. Good luck.
Great info, thanks!

-
Back