Factory big block k frame question

-

Fast340cuda

Reaction score
Picked up a factory big block a body k frame for my 68 Cuda. It looked awesome in the pictures but now that I have it it looks to have been in a car that was jumped and has some major damage on the front and bottom. My plan is to cut off the factory mounts and swap them onto a clean small block k frame that I have. Upon inspection of both units I have noticed the steering box mounts on the big block frame seem to be recessed into the frame itself where the small block frame has the mount spaced off the frame. My question is do all big block k frames have the steering box mounts this way or is there a difference between manual and power steering equipped cars? The Mopar engine manual has 2 different k frame numbers listed for manual/power steering but I can't find anything that lists the differences and wondering which version I have. I will be running manual steering but need to figure out if I need to rework the steering box mount while I have the cutting wheel and welder out.

image.jpeg

More pictures are needed, but 68-69 big block k-frames are the same manual or power steering. Take some pics of the steering box mount. Not real sure what you are showing in the pic, hard to tell if it has been fixed or just crappy factory welds. I have several factory big block k-frames laying around out of manual and power steering cars, and they are not for sale as I have a few GTS's that need to be finished one day.

Almost looks like the steering box is rotated slightly away from the motor on the big block k when compared to the small block k frames.

The reason I ask is because I have found 2 different k frames listed for 68-69 big block a bodies. P/N 2883984 is listed for 1968 383 with manual steering and p/n 2883999 for 1968 383 power steering and both steering options for 1969 383/440 a bodies. Thought the steering box mount could differ between the 2.

image.jpeg

I would not mess with a factory big block K frame. Fix it or sell it. There are kits to adapt a big block to a small block K. Most factory big block A bodies were run hard...

These things were never built quite all the same.....the measurements will be different on nearly all of them... typical of the cars back then. The amount of measurement you measure will and likely be ok as the steering coupler does have a couple of inches of play built in. Have a look at a coupler.. you may see this. I have two BB Barracuda's with original K frames and although built similar "looking" the welding is something to be desired ...."crap" for the most part. Some guys re-weld and clean these up, not a bad idea especially around the lower control arm pivot. Whenever a K frame is out it should be checked in this area. Just my thought on this :)

I would not mess with a factory big block K frame. Fix it or sell it. There are kits to adapt a big block to a small block K. Most factory big block A bodies were run hard...
My plan is to swap the mounts onto one of my other k frames which looks fairly simple to do. Worst case I will tack it all together and test fit the motor and steering box before I finish weld everything into place. Thought about using aftermarket adapter mounts but I have read many stories of poor motor placement when they are used. My 440 block is set up for factory a body driver side mount and I'd love to use it.

These things were never built quite all the same.....the measurements will be different on nearly all of them... typical of the cars back then. The amount of measurement you measure will and likely be ok as the steering coupler does have a couple of inches of play built in. Have a look at a coupler.. you may see this. I have two BB Barracuda's with original K frames and although built similar "looking" the welding is something to be desired ...."crap" for the most part. Some guys re-weld and clean these up, not a bad idea especially around the lower control arm pivot. Whenever a K frame is out it should be checked in this area. Just my thought on this :)
Can you post a few pics of the steering mount area from your cars? I also noticed my big block k frame has half washers welded under the lower control arm pivots. I believe some of the early 70's 340 cars got these installed as well.

Hi, sorry for the late reply , Yes, I will see what I can do. I'll post a couple of pictures, one car is apart and the other is nearly together now, both are standard steering, I plan on converting one to power steering. I will post a picture or two and hope this helps

Hi, sorry for the late reply , Yes, I will see what I can do. I'll post a couple of pictures, one car is apart and the other is nearly together now, both are standard steering, I plan on converting one to power steering. I will post a picture or two and hope this helps

Thanks!

-
Back