Factory brake booster question

-

fireguyfire

Reaction score
I’ve got a vacuum leak in the factory brake booster in my 67 barracuda, and I don’t have vacuum assist on the brakes.
I’m guessing there is a diagram issue. This type of booster is the 2 part booster held together by a removable band clamp.
Are these boosters rebuildable or does a guy need to take them to a pro to have them done?

It kind of depends on which booster you have; in '67 there was a 6 1/4" Midland/Ross booster, and a 7 1/2" Midland/Ross booster for A bodies. I believe the smaller one was used on big blocks, and the other on small blocks and slants.
If you have the 7 1/2" booster, great. Rebuild kits are readily available from classic Mustang suppliers, since the same booster was used on Mustangs and Falcons, among others. The main difference is in the front housing, which is stamped for either the Mopar four-bolt master, or the Ford two-bolt master; and then the appropriate filter housing. Rebuild instructions are in your FSM (you DO have one, right?).
If you've got the 6 1/4" booster, I have not found a good source of hard parts, but they may be out there. Otherwise two good "Go-To" names to have them rebuilt are:
https://www.powerbrakebooster.com/
Home - Harmon Classic Brakes
They also are reliable sources for many parts.

Where do I measure to determine the size of booster that I have?
Mine is the original and my car is a formulas S 67 with a commando engine.

IMG_0264.jpeg

Were the original brake boosters on the '67 273 Commando V8 Barracudas painted black or were they zinc dichromate gold plated?

Do some diagnostics first. It might save you some dough. Check the big vacuum hose at the booster to see if it's getting vacuum. Remove the check valve, hose and all out of the booster. Hold your thumb over the opening in the check valve and have someone start the engine and see if you have vacuum there. Sometimes those check valves go bad. If you have no vacuum there, pull the check valve off the hose and try the test again. If you now have vacuum without the check valve, your check valve is all that's bad. It's entirely possible the booster is bad. But a simple test that costs nothing isn't a bad idea.

I think the larger can came out in 70, as more cars were coming with disc brakes. I have seen alot of the smaller cans on the 67-69 that had drum brakes. The few that I have, have the gold zinc plating underneath the black paint. If you're building a nice car with nice paint, I would have it plated, for a daily driver regular driver-the black paint would suffice. I am working on a 38 Plymouth, will get power disc brakes. Have a B Body Bendix dual diaphragm that I might use. They were all painted black, If I do use it, it will he gold zinc plated.

-
Back