Factory High Stall converter

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Roughly what is the stall rating of a factory mid 70's, 727 high stall converter behind a 360 in a dart? Trying to decide if I want to change converters or not.
Thanks!

Probably somewhere between 1800-2000 rpm. From the factory, unless there was a high stall listed in a Mopar performance catalog, the converter the 360 had behind it (in all applications-truck/car was a 12" unit that was classed as a medium stall. It had a narrow ring gear and two small weights added to the back of it(ring gear side). To this best of my knowledge this was the only converter for the 360/727 non-lockup style transmission.

Factory "high stall" converters didn't stall all that high, probably less than 2000 rpm like was stated above. Putting a slant six torque converter behind a 360 will get you the equivalent of factory high stall converter. If you want to see a noticeable difference go with something aftermarket.

Thank you guys. I thought it was around that. Guess I will be shopping for a new converter.

The slant 6 and the 318 used the same converter from 1972 t0 1976. It was classified as a medium stall converter, with thick mounting pads. It was an 11" converter and used a wide ring gear. From 1977 on, on the slant 6 and 318 engines there was a high stall listed. It too was the 11" size, but the mounting pads were thinner. From the factory, Chrysler put a decal on the converter body. The triangular decal was marked "LO STALL", and the round one "HIGH STALL". Keep in mind that the leaning tower of power and the 318 engines are balanced differently than the 360, and the converters have NO BALANCING WEIGHTS on the back of the converter. Do you have any idea what stall you are looking for?

When I put the the 360 in my dart over the winter, I bought a reman High stall converter from a trans supplier. It is the small 11" converter with the single butterfly weight on it. It works fine. At first I thought it was sluggish B/C it had 2.71 in rear. I now have 3.55, but lacking in bottom end performance. If the car is rolling alond it will scream. It is a mild, close to stock, build with a small Crane Cam 216* duration, .454 lift., headers, Weiand intake 600 holley.
I am thinking I should put in a 2200-2800 stall converter toreally wake the car up.

The Lil Red Express trucks came with a 2500 rpm stall from the factory and 3.55 gears.

It is a bit higher than what has been stated. Chrysler used a higher stall speed in their converters than other makes. The standard stall speed is around 1200-1700. The factory hi stall is generally about 1000 RPM higher. There is also a factory lo stall as well.

-
Back