factory kickdown

-

hamsterhats

Reaction score
Is this the stud that the kickdown goes on? I am willing to be called stupid to get some help! The levers slot won't fit over the threads on the stud? I am assuming that the lever is to fit over the stud and just tighten it? Is the lever supposed to freely move on the stud?

IMG_0158.JPG

It should move freely and you have it in the correct place. I believe it should have a washer and a hair pin to hold it on. The linkage for the kickdown should be farther forward.

how do i adjust how far the linkage is forward? It is sitting where it wants to.Do I need to adjust the linkage at the transmission?

You want the lever all the back, towards back of car, when wide open throttle.

Some adjust at the carb linage bracket, others like slant 6's adjust at the lever on the trans with a bolt & clamp block.

You are missing the chrysler throttle lever adapter that go's on the holley's throttle lever.

2 bolts hold it on through the upper hole and the lower hole.

You are missing the chrysler throttle lever adapter that go's on the holley's throttle lever.

2 bolts hold it on through the upper hole and the lower hole.

I'd say that is correct. You do need something for sure. I dont believe there is enough adjustment to get right as it shown.
Just a dab of FYI...
the earlier models didn't have that slot. If something interfeared with the kickdown linkage it could and did hold the throttle open. Some of those had the bellcrank mounted to the firewall also. just a broken motor support would create a runaway car.
That slot allows the throttle to return freely, regardless of kickdown linkage conflict.
Once properly adjusted the back of the slot will rest against the throttle pin at any throttle position.

excellent !!! I will be on it right when i get her back!

Yep, too far forward; what year? things changed. Push the bracket on the trans all the way back; at WOT you want the slider all the way back. Then for fun, put Ford fluid in it and adjust the arm by the carb 1/4" forward.

cool mike. I was driving the dart yesterday and here is what happened. First and second were fine, third would not engage till 40 mph and i didn't see fourth at all. When i was cruising on flat pavement at about 35, it just would not up shift. Could this be due to the kickdown being engaged all the time, As it sits now, the kickdown lever is all the way back to the firewall. I am trying to say that there is nothing holding the lever in its standing position, it just falls towards the firewall, i think it is constantly engaged. Any words of wisdom?

is there a reason why the kickdown lever wont return with the throttle, it just wants to stay all the way back by the firewall

Ya there is a big reason you need the return spring were is it i dont see it in the pic.It will not return with out it.I am not talking about the throttle return spring Its the kick down return spring.

you sir are correct, i threw a small spring on it temporarily. It works!!!! Shifts properly, I am happy! Take it to the body shop next tues for an estimate, i think i can drive it there!

-
Back