Factory old iron just can't compete ... ??

-

You have to know when to lift. If one of those morons would hit my vehicle I would sue their *** off.
Even though I luv old school they don't even come close to my '23 Scat Pak. Or my '18 Hemi Ram. They might be faster, but I'm not driving them on hot days.

We had a thread not to long ago about the hp limit of a sbm, never got a definitive answer, there's more than enough 500-550 hp sbm engine's out the to believe that's relatively safe, I think there's seems to be a decent amount of 550-650 hp sbm out there without hearing too many horror stories to think these numbers if done right are reasonably ok. Problem is above that there's just not enough 700 + hp NA engines out there, same with 1000 + hp turbo, blown, nitrous etc.. So it's up in the air.

As for bbm you hear of a decent amount of 700-800 hp examples to believe that's probably ok.

Problem is you need enough people to build higher hp engines to know for sure. And for people to do that you need affordable ootb parts (mainly heads) that get 600/700/800+ hp.

The new engines start with heads that rival most race only heads for older engines plus people slapping on turbos etc.. On top of that has allowed them pretty quickly find the weak spots.

A lot of our members have found the breaking point of big blocks in our 8 second cars and have updated to Indy or Keith Black blocks. A lot of us know better than to put Edelbrock Victor heads, w7,W8,W9 heads on our stock blocks because we would soon find the breaking point of stock blocks. I’m not saying they won’t handle it. But they wouldn’t handle racing like many of us do every week. Way to much money spent on the top end to risk it.

more than enough 500-550 hp sbm engine's out the to believe that's relatively safe,
Having seen how beefy my 318 LA is compared to a Ford 302, I think the old SBM should hold up more than the 302 Windsor which has a mythical limit of 500-550HP.

A lot of our members have found the breaking point of big blocks in our 8 second cars and have updated to Indy or Keith Black blocks. A lot of us know better than to put Edelbrock Victor heads, w7,W8,W9 heads on our stock blocks because we would soon find the breaking point of stock blocks. I’m not saying they won’t handle it. But they wouldn’t handle racing like many of us do every week. Way to much money spent on the top end to risk it.
What would that be for aftermarket block ballpark like 800 hp plus for a bbm and 650 hp plus for a sbm ?

What would that be for aftermarket block ballpark like 800 hp plus for a bbm and 650 hp plus for a sbm ?

No positive I get what you are asking. If you are asking what an after market small and big block will take both will go over 1000 horsepower.

No positive I get what you are asking. If you are asking what an after market small and big block will take both will go over 1000 horsepower.
At what hp level would you start shopping for an aftermarket block over stock you gave a general performance level examples just trying to translated them into hp numbers.

You said 8's seems to be where bbm guy's are needing aftermarket, is that around 800 + hp or more like 900 + hp engines ? Same with sbm you said that wouldn't be the best idea to run victor, W7,8,9 is that like saying 650 + hp or more like 700 + hp engines.

Obviously not trying to get you to write the hp limit in stone but trying to get your general sense of the hp limit, it's kind of hard since you don't like talking in hp :)

Watch the mustangs on Facebook leaving the car shows. Those videos are gold watching them hit everything in sight.

a thousand youtube videos on stupid drivers, many in semi's, tractors, slow cars, fast cars. We can talk about stupid people, and that can be fun..... but I'm looking at the old iron vs new gen engines :)

7's are nothing new, KOS guys were doing it 20 years ago, the first guy to do it drove a 62 or 63 Impala with a big old Chevy wedge.

7's are nothing new, KOS guys were doing it 20 years ago, the first guy to do it drove a 62 or 63 Impala with a big old Chevy wedge.
Old iron engine that cruised 70 mph on the interstate for miles and miles? Or did they use aftermarket block... ??

I guess what I'm saying is if a guy just looks at Drag week.... 7 second cars pulling 2 wheel trailers for miles and hours while running 7's at the strip... only to pack up, hook up the trailer and drive hours more to run more 7 second passes....

Runs like a beast.
The 6.4 4x4 we have at work is named “The Beast” for good reason. It’s basically a Power Wagon. I’m glad I don’t have to pay for gas!
A correctly built 360 or 5.9 and the same 8HP would be a beast too.

At what hp level would you start shopping for an aftermarket block over stock you gave a general performance level examples just trying to translated them into hp numbers.

You said 8's seems to be where bbm guy's are needing aftermarket, is that around 800 + hp or more like 900 + hp engines ? Same with sbm you said that wouldn't be the best idea to run victor, W7,8,9 is that like saying 650 + hp or more like 700 + hp engines.

Obviously not trying to get you to write the hp limit in stone but trying to get your general sense of the hp limit, it's kind of hard since you don't like talking in hp :)

Sorry but I’m not going to take over 318’s post. We have lots of contributors here that can step up and answer these questions.

The 6.4 4x4 we have at work is named “The Beast” for good reason. It’s basically a Power Wagon. I’m glad I don’t have to pay for gas!
A correctly built 360 or 5.9 and the same 8HP would be a beast too.
Honestly my old 72 Power wagon with 360 / 727 empty or loaded with tools was 12mph
My new trucks with fuel injection and same tools 12mph.

old new who cares , I had plenty of fun with my stroked 360/426 made 530hp 560tq in a 3200lb car it was plenty only put 7000 miles on it before I switched back to the 340 8 mpg with the 426 at $8.00 a gallon was a pain had to fill it up every day with the 340 fill it twice a week . Stroker could have made over 600 if I cut the hood to use a better intake and heads , 500 to 600 hp is fine for a stock block

download (3).jpg

If you look at my avatar picture then you will see my old 8.5 second street driven Mopar!
Yes it has/had a Mopar 1971 400 block from none other than Dick Landy himself.

It made 900hp and had a 200 shot of nitrous to top her up!
The engine is still alive and well after 30 years of abuse...:poke::mob::steering:
Steel maincaps on two bolts a piece.

Good balancing and careful revving is the key...:thankyou:

If you look at my avatar picture then you will see my old 8.5 second street driven Mopar!
Yes it has/had a Mopar 1971 400 block from none other than Dick Landy himself.

It made 900hp and had a 200 shot of nitrous to top her up!
The engine is still alive and well after 30 years of abuse...:poke::mob::steering:
Steel maincaps on two bolts a piece.

Good balancing and careful revving is the key...:thankyou:
that's awesome !

Actually, most buy a 700 hundred dollar junkyard motor and put ebay turbos on them and make 800 hp without a yawn. So actually, they are very budget friendly. You would spend more trying to make 500 HP with a 360. Is it what I'm doing? Not to date, it's really not my cup of tea. But it don't change the facts just because I don't do it.....
As someone mid-360 build, I swear this is a true statement. Lol

I know a lot of those rustang crash videos are 100% driver stupidness, but it does seem like those cars sure do skate real bad.

Block strength. It's the only two words that jump out in my mind. Love them or hate them, ugly or not, the engines of recent muscle car years offer block strength. Our old iron blocks are at risk when pushing the HP close to 4 digits. Seems the new gen blocks of Ford, GM, or Mopar can handle HP well into the 4 digits. Big Boost, Big NOS systems, doesn't matter with new gen blocks. They make big HP. Street cars that can run 4 second 1/8 mile and 7 second 1/4 mile seem to be less rare these days. Who is competing with factory old iron?

4 digit HP is possible on old iron with turbos. A turbo that adds more pressure as the rpm goes up is easier on parts than a NA engine or a N02 hit.

As always, the ability to go fast is dictated by the thickness of your wallet.

The combo of a big engine in a light car is the first basic approach that should be taken. If a big engine is out of the question or you just want to do a small block (strokes or not) then the next expense is stable high RPM.

4 digit HP is possible on old iron with turbos. A turbo that adds more pressure as the rpm goes up is easier on parts than a NA engine or a N02 hit.

As always, the ability to go fast is dictated by the thickness of your wallet.

The combo of a big engine in a light car is the first basic approach that should be taken. If a big engine is out of the question or you just want to do a small block (strokes or not) then the next expense is stable high RPM.
true points, it just seems the new gen engines will take 1100-1400 without filling the blocks, and such for strength.

-
Back