Factory paint color for suspension/rear end housing

-

92b

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What are people using to paint suspension / rear end housing to get that factory fresh look? Thank you.

Not sure what the period correct finish was for 69. Maybe satin, but I went with a semi-gloss black, easier to clean.
20211027_120628.jpg

Last edited:
Semi Gloss Black. My Bee is in some expensive epoxy, but I cheated on my Dart and used a mix of Gloss and Flat Tremclad to get "semi-gloss".

Bee..
beerestoration2017 593.JPG

Dart...
1969dartcleanupweek14 284.JPG

The factory paint was VERY cheap gloss black. It didn't have the shine we are used to seeing from gloss today. I'd go with semi-gloss.

Lots of other suspension components were bare metal. UCAs and LCAs are bare metal. LCAs were dipped in cosmoline. Other bare metal parts came straight from the foundry and have a dark gray color to them.

FYI, High heat BBQ paint simulates very nicely as to what the black phosphate coating that the brake backing plates were originally.
1969dartcleanupweek17 055.JPG

I read in the FSM somewhere that external black was "80%" gloss.

That sounds like semi gloss!

I really like Rustoleum Professional semi-gloss black 239107. Comes in a 15 oz. spray can and sold at Lowes stores. Takes a while to cure but very durable. Also available in quarts if you want to use a spray gun, and you can also catalyze it with Valspar 4725 enamel hardener (Amazon) if you have the proper respirator and desire a faster cure.

When I got my car the rear and springs were painted white!

-
Back