Factory Paint..

-
Reaction score
Does anyone know how i can find out what the original paint color was on my car off the show room floor? Also I herd there is a way to get a copy of the sticker price that would have been on the car on the lot........

It will say on your fender tag. Post it up and some one here can decode it for you. I don't know about the sticker price though.

Is there still a fender tag? Do you have a build sheet. They can be behind the seat springs, under the carpet, or taped to the back of the glove box liner. What year? If you have none of those things, you can look at areas that have the original paint like the trunk, behind moulding, behind the head liner, or places like that, and compare that to paint chips.

My fender tag and build sheet for this car said A4 silver. This is what I ordered from my paint supplier. You can imagine my shock when my PPG guy mixed this paint up. It sure looked green to me. The car had been re-colored several times before I got it. I found un-molested paint on the underside of the tranny hump. The PPG matched perfectly.

66DartGT rear.jpg

66 Dart GT 001.jpg

It isn't uncommon for A4 to look greenish when old and faded. Now for the good part. There was a green color that looked like it was silver. You hardly ever see it. I don't even remember the code. But you could mistake it for silver under the proper conditions

Hey Justin ! I just googled for paint codes on your Dart and here is a site that you can download the paint chips for your year. I believe it's '64 right ? Well if the car is originally red then it might be Ruby with a paint code PP-1 it says,not sure if that's right. You can check for yourself.

http://www.mymopar.com/paintcodes.htm

There are dictionaries of old cars that I have seen in the Transportation section of book stores and libraries. For the most part, each book covers a year range. Otherwise it would be too big to use manually. It gives the list price of things at the beginning of the model year. It does not give the option codes, nor is the list all inclusive, but it's a good start.

-
Back