Factory Tach question.

-

SWED67barracuda

Reaction score
Hi , I run a MSD ready to run distributor , it´s got a wire for a tach . Would it work to connect to the tach on a 67 barracuda . Or is it a different signal . Or should i connect it to the coil as with points dist. Will that work with the MSD that´s not points . Anyone tried this or know what to do else . Cheers .

Where does the OEM tach connect to?

Only thing I recall about MSD is that tachs that run off of the coil need some sort of "buffer" electronics due to the multiple sparks signal it sees at the coil. NOW that was in the 80s

Where does the OEM tach connect to?

Only thing I recall about MSD is that tachs that run off of the coil need some sort of "buffer" electronics due to the multiple sparks signal it sees at the coil. NOW that was in the 80s
OEM tach´s connects to coil .

Ok . I need a tach adaptor . I´ll see if i can find out which one . There are a few to choose from .

contact MSD the tach wire might be a buffered signal suitable for coil attached tachs

right on their (well Jeg's) website

"RPM LIMIT AND TACHOMETER INFORMATION

Tach Signal: The Ready-to-Run Distributor features a Gray Tach Output wire which provides a clean signal for most tachometers and even some aftermarket fuel injection systems. The signal output is a 12 volt square wave, 20° duty cycle. This wire is also responsible for programming the built-in rev limiter.

Rev Limiter: The Ready-to-Run Distributor has a built-in rev limit that can easily be adjusted from 2,000 rpm to over 10,000 rpm. The default is 10,000 rpm. To set the rev limiter, run the engine to half the desired rpm then ground the Gray tach wire (a jumper is supplied) for approximately one second. Every time the key is turned to the On position, the tach will display the programmed rpm limit. See page 8 for the programming procedure."

as I expected the tach wire provides the same signal as a points / standard electronic ignition coil signal

MSD Ignition 8388: Pro-Billet Ready-to-Run Distributor Chrysler 318-360 | JEGS

Also if you are just using the MSD ready to run Dist and not an MSD box you basically have a point ignition but using an electronic switch (no multiple spark.)

contact MSD the tach wire might be a buffered signal suitable for coil attached tachs

right on their (well Jeg's) website

"RPM LIMIT AND TACHOMETER INFORMATION

Tach Signal: The Ready-to-Run Distributor features a Gray Tach Output wire which provides a clean signal for most tachometers and even some aftermarket fuel injection systems. The signal output is a 12 volt square wave, 20° duty cycle. This wire is also responsible for programming the built-in rev limiter.

Rev Limiter: The Ready-to-Run Distributor has a built-in rev limit that can easily be adjusted from 2,000 rpm to over 10,000 rpm. The default is 10,000 rpm. To set the rev limiter, run the engine to half the desired rpm then ground the Gray tach wire (a jumper is supplied) for approximately one second. Every time the key is turned to the On position, the tach will display the programmed rpm limit. See page 8 for the programming procedure."

as I expected the tach wire provides the same signal as a points / standard electronic ignition coil signal

MSD Ignition 8388: Pro-Billet Ready-to-Run Distributor Chrysler 318-360 | JEGS

Also if you are just using the MSD ready to run Dist and not an MSD box you basically have a point ignition but using an electronic switch (no multiple spark.)
Thank´s . Useful info . I have sent a mail to MSD also to se what they say. I´ll post their answer .

Ok . Reply from Holley : If using distributor as is , without any ignitionbox . Just connect the OEM way , at the coil . No adaptors needed . So you did some good thinking there Dana67Dart .

Last edited:
-
Back