Factory Turbo rebuilding?…..

-

Syleng1

Karma is real and Life is short...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I decided to take apart my son’s turbo for his 1985 Turbo Daytona z car 2.2 5speed. We are converting it to a turbo II car and the proper turbo is 3 months out so far. The wheel shaft is sloppy and I had to take it apart because it’s what I do. I fix stuff. Only this time I need to send it out to a reliable person for a rebuild and balance.
Has anyone worked with a shop who rebuilds and balanced a turbo you can give first hand info on? Plenty of shops that rebuild turbos…. BUT which one is the best.
I like my info from here vs a G.L.H. Web forum. They talk a good game but we got some real smart people over here. SN- foto is for people who like to see pictures. Lol!
Thanks!
Syleng1

image.jpg

I bought a reworked turbo from BNR for my Mazdaspeed6 when I had it. It worded great and was a stock reliability upgrade from the stock that had design issues. From my WRX days Blouch offered some good turbo upgrades and rebuilds and we're considered reputable. There was an article many years ago about the owner of Blouch having a turbo slant 6 Challenger.

They’re pretty easy to rebuild. If (and that’s a big IF) there is a quality rebuild kit available for your model. Usually oversized (OD dimension) bushings are available for the center section and the thrust is just replaced, along with a few snap rings. The only two critical machine shop operations are boring the housing and balance. You’ll have to find someone reputable in your area to do it. I wouldn’t trust sending out the parts. Look for diesel injection shops.

If the wheels never made contact with the housing you can just reassemble with new bushings and not do the balance. As long as you index all of the parts when you take em apart.

I have 3 factory turbo Daytonas myself. I used to rebuild these turbos on a regular basis. I got the kits from G-Pop Shop. If you decide to rebuild it yourself, be sure to mark the clocking on the impeller before removing it. That will preserve whatever balance was there from the factory. G-Pop Shop also has a rebuilding service.

Converting from the draw-thru T1 turbo to the blow-thru 88+ (or earlier T2) style requires a different intake scroll. The early T1 had a 90 degree adapter that also received the EGR valve. You could swap the T2 scroll and be done, or you could use an adaptor that I can't seem to find on either Turbos Unleashed or FWD Performance sites. I have one on our '85 Daytona Turbo converted to T2. You may also be tempted to simply swap for the later T2 Garret. One option is the abundant Mitsubishi turbo. It had a smaller A/R which allowed it to spool much quicker, but would choke at higher boost levels. The Garret may have had a bit of turbo lag, but was capable of delivering close to 300 HP in relatively stock form.

One unique feature on your early draw-thru turbo is the double oil seal. Since it was a draw-thru, the intake tract was placed under vacuum. Normal turbos would leak oil into the induction system. Garret added extra oil seals to combat that. Your center chunk is more durable than the later Mitsubishis or even T2 Garrets. I'd keep that if at all possible.

If you need parts, I have plenty that I'd love to put to a good cause. (PM me.)

Thank you for that info. PM me what you have for parts as the shop in Cali referenced above did not contact me back after leaving a message and emails.
I’m following what is on Donovan’s Garage for the turbo I to turbo II conversion. I’ve know Mr Donavan since we were just out of high school and met him street racing. Very smart man.

He is a regular legend! Donovan was making power with the 2.2 Turbos before anybody else; and rather big power at that.

-
Back