Factory undercoating removal

-
The EPA clamped down on them 2-3 years ago because a couple of people died of the fumes because they could not follow warning labels. Their families went after them and got the govt to regulate the chemicals that made it work so well. The new formula is junk. Don’t waste your time with it. If all you have access to is the commercial stuff.
They've done that with a lot of things Berryman's chem dip isn't what it used to be 20 years ago either :)

I have done 2 cars and it is a difficult miserable job.Looks nice when done but the car is echoey
and "tinny" sounding. Going to try something different on my current project.
Going to detail everything back to factory finish but leave the undercoating on. Just clean, touch it
up where necessary and paint it factory semi gloss.
Hoping the car is quieter and nicer to drive when done.

The EPA clamped down on them 2-3 years ago because a couple of people died of the fumes because they could not follow warning labels. Their families went after them and got the govt to regulate the chemicals that made it work so well. The new formula is junk. Don’t waste your time with it. If all you have access to is the commercial stuff.
Don't waste your money on 5 gal buckets of carb cleaner, unless you want to spend $$$ for the good stuff

heat gun, stiff plastic scraper followed by wire wheel on a drill and angle grinder (get into different places).

Last one I did was this 70 Dart GT (modified to take an A500 overdrive 4 speed auto)

View attachment 1716009515

View attachment 1716009516

View attachment 1716009519

Dayum, that looks NICE! That looks so good I started thinking I may want to do that. Then I came to my senses, slammed my head in the front door several times so I’d remember I don’t NEED to do that. Now I feel better.

Dayum, that looks NICE! That looks so good I started thinking I may want to do that. Then I came to my senses, slammed my head in the front door several times so I’d remember I don’t NEED to do that. Now I feel better.
I had already disassembled the whole car for paint so there was NOTHING in the way - no exhaust, no rear end, no brake lines, no tank and fuel lines, no engine and transmission... I definitely wouldn't have done this otherwise.

has anyone tried a product called "Aircraft Paint stripper" It may help when you get down to the small remaining undercoat in the nooks and corner areas etc.
The problem with chemical strippers is that you really have to get ALL the remaining stripper off or neutralized or BAD THINGS will happen - corroded metal, paint that won't stick, eventual rust setting in, etc.

-
Back