Faded carpet

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I bought the carpet for my Barracuda from Year One about 5 years ago now. I don`t remember who actually supplied the carpet but there have been a lot of problems with it fading when exposed to the sun. Most of my black carpet is now a light purple-ish color. To combat the faded carpet I went to the store and picked up a pack of Rit fabric dye. I mixed a potent solution of it and put it in a spray bottle. I used the spray mister to apply the dye right to the carpet and simply wiped off any excess with a rag. It`s an easy fix for a little dough. Here`s a couple pictures:

IM000189 (Small).JPG

IM000191 (Small).JPG

IM000193 (Small).JPG

great job,be sure to post pictures of the finished product......Im currently trying to find a place that sells some kind of dye for vinyl.....I have tan/gold seats from my duster and I want black.....but I have not found any place that sells vinyl dye and I also dont want something that will wipe/chip/peel or fade away on it either....need a good long lasting effective vinyl dye

sem black glossy is what I use for hard plastic and sem semi gloss for the seats, looks really good imo.

I have heard of this "sem" ....went to there website once and i could not figure out how to navigate the damn site lol....any local stores it could be picked up at? I have already used vinyl/fabric spray to turn my dash,kick panels and pillar panels and what not black and I am currently in the middle of releathering my headl iner and speaker shelf....I am jsut down to seats and the spray I used for the panels I tested on the back of the seat in an unseen area and it peeled off....need actual dye for the seats

Ill have to take a look around... air paint supply store is kind of basic,mostly just paints and body filers and polishing products and adhesive removers and paint strippers and trim panel clips and stuff liek that.... I was thinking of going to the local fabrics store (jo-ann fabrics) and seeing if maybe they carried something. If I cant find anything then I will just end up getting seat covers,no rush though. alot of work left to do before I need to worry about the color of the seats lol

The secret to success with vinyl paint is clean,clean,clean. When you`re done cleaning, clean some more. Use a good final step paint prep before you get ready to spray and if you prepare well, the results will be worth the effort. I did a set of white buckets in black that turned out so well you couldn`t tell them from actual black vinyl.

yha the back seat in the scamp looks like it was factory black, good stuff out there and don't forget to scuff with a scotchbrite pad to make it stick a little better.

ya i know that, I have never had problems with this paint I use on anything else but even after a full clean on the spot of the seat I spray....its still didnt hole up well. I rubbed it with my finger and it peeled right up and I could pull it like a rubbery layer or silicone almost.....I figure if it cant hold up to rubbing it with a finger,it wont hold up to sliding in and out with keys on a belt loop and average use.....I use the dupli color vinyl and fabrics spray...works good on most stuff,but I dont trust it enough to do seats. I think I need and actual dye,not a paint

After 40 years of Armor-All applied to just about everything on the interior of a car, it presents a challenge to get things clean enough for paint to adhere.

ya....understandable......but not so much when you do it on the back side of the seat in a spot armor all has never touched and that you even sanded down with sand paper on top of that!.....the vinyl is just to flexable and the dupli color vinyl/ fabric spray doesnt want to stick for some reason,has to be some kind of actual dye out there that will do the job....

I'll try and get the thread back on topic :)

Thanks for the tip about the faded carpet dye cure. I have the same problem with the yearone carpet in my 67 barracuda. I'll definitely give this a try, looks like you had good results. I'll share some before/after pics too!

-
Back