Family '64 4-door Valiant winter re-do

-
rebuilt wiper pivots, started on heater.

Attachments

• wiperpivots.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 195
  • heaterbox.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 194
I moved back to California, and I've spent most of the last year working on the motor. It's finally time to start back on the body.

Last weekend I pulled the motor and front clip, so that I could prep the engine compartment for paint.

I'm not sure what the best approach to this is. The original paint is not in terrible shape, just dirty, but there are a number of spots with bad paint and some surface rust.

In an ideal world I would have the car sandblasted but I'm trying to do this on a budget and I want to preserve the original interior paint.

Attachments

• WP_20140208_010.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 165
Finished stripping the shell and doors. Dropped two doors, hood and trunk off with painter.

Attachments

• WP_20140308_009.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 101
  • WP_20140308_008.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 110
Found I had more rust than I thought on the right side behind the wheelwell. Looks like I'll need a patch panel. At first I thought I could fabricate a small patch and fix it, but it's rotten all the way back. The other side appears to be perfect, even with some serious jabs with a pick. The car spent many years parked against the curb at my grandma's house and I guess that's why this side got so rusty.

Attachments

• WP_20140323_002.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 103
I love that you're building a four door, I love them! My dart is my first two door, I love cruising with the family in my old fury and belvedere sedans. Great work by the way, you are really doing a good job on it.

Finished the welding, stripped most of the paint off and sent to the painter. I didn't take any close-ups of the patch, because I'm not proud of the welding. I wrinkled the crap out of the QP below the bumper line by not being patient. Hopefully my paint & body guy can get it straight (he said no problem).

Attachments

• WP_20140601_024.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 74
Also got to see & pick up some of the exterior panels.

The color is a bit more orange than I had hoped - the painter matched the original dash, and it is a pretty good match, but really really orange in bright sunlight. Like Porsche Guards Red or BMW Hennarot.

Attachments

• WP_20140530_008.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 76
  • WP_20140530_004.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 80
Shell paint is finally done.

Of course now I will have 4 days (really nights) to get the motor, trans, doors, fenders and hood back on the car because we are moving house.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 47
-
Back