Famous Valve Springs?

-

Shorty Medlock

Roads Scholar
Reaction score
Okay.... So I bought a set of used Fleabay valve springs more or less to check if my new valves will work @ 1.90 installed height. No sense spending $200 or more on springs until one knows they will work. The retainers are made of 300M steel...I believe that is a Timken steel spec same as is used in many high dollar crankshafts. The springs are polished. Good quality. 1.290 diameter which is a common size. The Crowers are 1.550 I believe.

(After some research these are not Timken Steel).

So I get them today... box sez RPE... Richard Petty Enterprises? Also sez Dodge R6P8. And #44 Atlanta.

I know my late friend Jim Watson told me their engine shop at Rousch kept meticulous records of engines and parts. And the Pankl rods I got from another NASCAR team had an engine # assigned to the rods.

Going to have to get some new retainers as these were likely used with 6 or 7mm valve stems. The 11/32" valves I have won't even fit thru the keeper hole!

Anywho... now I have famous valve springs to go along with the infamous team owner/driver/engine builder!!!!

The photos show the physical size difference between the Crowers that were used before and the new "test" springs.

IMG_20200706_121846580.jpg

IMG_20200706_135502887.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back