Fan and shroud

-

mopower440

Reaction score
Been reading some stuff and i see 2 things mentioned about cooling. They say its best to have the fan 1 inch from the radiator, and they also say have the fan half in and half out of the shroud..But, which is more important? I cant have it both ways on mine so i need to know which one is more important..?

1" from the rad is for no shroud applications.
around 1/2 in and out of the shroud is a good range if you use one.

Mopars are always 3/4" from the radiator
My stock 67 273 2bbl is close to 2 inches from the rad.

3/4 is too close IMHO a small amount of engine movement from a broken eng or trans mount and you'll be buying a new rad

sometimes that's kinda hard to keep em away from the radiator aluminum rads. 1990 Jaguar XJ6 fan clutch works great.

Not to hi-jack, but, can You stack the fan spacers to achieve the spacing?

even with different spacers, i cant achieve both an inch from radiator AND half inhalf out of the shroud..not without making a new shroud

even with different spacers, i cant achieve both an inch from radiator AND half inhalf out of the shroud..not without making a new shroud
Your not required to achieve both.
If you have a shroud disregard the inch from radiator. That is for non shroud applications.
Blades approx. half in/out of shroud opening is correct when using a shroud.

Your not required to achieve both.
If you have a shroud disregard the inch from radiator. That is for non shroud applications.
Blades approx. half in/out of shroud opening is correct when using a shroud.

Good deal. thanks! Hopefully i will have this thing together this weekend..

My stock 67 273 2bbl is close to 2 inches from the rad.

3/4 is too close IMHO a small amount of engine movement from a broken eng or trans mount and you'll be buying a new rad

If ur engine moves that much front to rear , u got a problem ----------

If ur engine moves that much front to rear , u got a problem ----------
I wasn't thinking front to rear I was thinking yaw, ie the trans tail shaft moves to the right or left causing the fan to angle into the rad.

@mopower440
  1. Why do you need/want a shroud?
  2. is the shroud custom or factory?

-
Back