Fan shroud for aftermarket aluminum radiator

-

73SwingerBuild

Reaction score
Hello all. Once again, another brain-buster.

I bought a 340/4speed combo from a member here and the 340 had a flex-a-lite fan mounted on it. The setup also came with an aluminum radiator (seen here http://www.ebay.com/itm/30069248569...m=&sspagename=ADME:X:eRTM:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr ). I'm about 95% sure this is the same unit as the dimensions are the same (22" wide, 20" tall, 3" thick). Also, the welds, mounting points, and inlet/outlet are all the exact same.

I'm wondering if anybody has ever seen a way to mount a stock-style fan shroud to an aftermarket radiator. I know they sell the custom aluminum ones, but I'm trying to avoid fabbing with aluminum as I do not have the right welding equipment. I'd also like it to function better than the aftermarket units (i.e. allow the fan to properly pull the air through the shroud and not just mix it in the engine bay). I'm willing to fab up some brackets, but I'd like to be able to use a stock style fan shroud. Do any of the stock shrouds even have similar dimensions? I don't have a lot to go on here as the car is stipped down and neither the car nor the motor came with a stock shroud.

Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks all.

-Mike

Maybe I'll try another route...

Does anybody know of any dimensions listed for stock A-body fan shrouds? If I could get measurements off of a 318, 340, or 360 fan, I could probably determine whether or not I can adapt one of those to the radiator I have.

If anybody has these numbers or is willing to measure their fan shroud, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks all.

-Mike

Far from trivial since the fan shroud should center on the radiator and, at the same time, the fan hole's center must match your engine's crank within 1/2" in both directions. That said, I put an alum radiator in my 65 Newport (Pro Cool) and got a shroud from an ~86 New Yorker 318 to fit well. I just needed to fab 4 small stand-off brackets to secure it. That shroud didn't fit my factory 22" rad well since it was for a 26" rad (put clumsy filler plates on the side), but the alum rad is a crossflow, so the tanks at the side seal off the air. Probably wouldn't work for you either since your rad looks like the factory 22" one. 22" shrouds are rare and $$$.

I'm hoping to get dimensions on some 22" radiator shrouds. I would rather pay the money and have the system work well.

I'm trying to avoid electric fans, but the same company who makes the radiator makes electric fan setups with shrouds (Gee, who would've thought).

Hopefully somebody has these numbers.

I doubt you'll actually need the shroud to help cool with the aluminum radiator and flex-o-lite fan. But it's nice for safety if that bothers you.

My 1970 Duster 360 with a new 22" 2 core 1" tubes aluminum radiator and flex fan stays cool now all the time over the old stock radiator which was partially clogged too. I'm not running a shroud.

-
Back