fan shroud question

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does Mopar Performance make a fan shroud for the Champion MC526 22" radiator. If not, who makes one that will bolt up to this radiator that will work with a factory 7 blade fan.

That particular radiator is designed to accept a factory 22" shroud (325 or 614). Physically, they'll bolt on, but the problem is the mounts are spaced so far out from the core that it leaves about an 1.5" gap between the shroud and the top tank and 1" on the bottom. In order to create a good seal, you'll need to make some sort of spacer to fill it in. As a disclaimer, this was my experience with the thinner CC526 radiator. The MC526 is about .75" thicker since it has another row, so the gap may not be as large.

Does Mopar Performance make a fan shroud for the Champion MC526 22" radiator. If not, who makes one that will bolt up to this radiator that will work with a factory 7 blade fan.
I bought a repop off eBay and it fit fine for the most part. Only had to open up the mount holes a little on the shroud to get one hole to line up. Have had it a few years with no warping or anything like some say have happened. The shroud does leave a gap due to the way it mounts. The gap looks worse in the photo but it's not bad. Definitely not 1 1/2 inches. You can see the "L" bracket on the radiator where it mounts is not flush, that causes the gap, about a 1/4 inch. I've never tried to fill it in and it cools my 410 fine. 3 core champion with a Hayden hotrod fan clutch.

IMG_2947.JPG

That particular radiator is designed to accept a factory 22" shroud (325 or 614). Physically, they'll bolt on, but the problem is the mounts are spaced so far out from the core that it leaves about an 1.5" gap between the shroud and the top tank and 1" on the bottom. In order to create a good seal, you'll need to make some sort of spacer to fill it in. As a disclaimer, this was my experience with the thinner CC526 radiator. The MC526 is about .75" thicker since it has another row, so the gap may not be as large.

What are you talking about (325 or 614) is this a partial Chrysler part #. That is what I am looking for.

Gotcha, I will check it out. Thanks

Did some checking on this 625 shroud. VansAuto has one for sale and he states that this shroud will not fit an aftermarket radiator. Why, I am not sure. I checked into getting a cheap Spectre # 4348 shroud and by looking at the radiator, I don't see how that would fit either. May just go ahead with plan A.

I bought a repop off eBay and it fit fine for the most part. Only had to open up the mount holes a little on the shroud to get one hole to line up. Have had it a few years with no warping or anything like some say have happened. The shroud does leave a gap due to the way it mounts. The gap looks worse in the photo but it's not bad. Definitely not 1 1/2 inches. You can see the "L" bracket on the radiator where it mounts is not flush, that causes the gap, about a 1/4 inch. I've never tried to fill it in and it cools my 410 fine. 3 core champion with a Hayden hotrod fan clutch.

View attachment 1715069273
What champion radiator do you have and what shroud did you buy,please?

I have the MC526 radiator. I have not bought one as of yet. Was trying to make sure of what I needed before I spent that kind of money. Not having much luck.

1500056252244728396603.jpg
I just dealt with all this but mine is a 3 core CC526 and it will only accept a 70 to 72 shroud. The problem I had was the pressed in nuts came right out (which by the way are metric m6) but the good part was I got these 1/4 20 fasteners and you can put them where ever you want

View attachment 1715069383
I just dealt with all this but mine is a 3 core CC526 and it will only accept a 70 to 72 shroud. The problem I had was the pressed in nuts came right out (which by the way are metric m6) but the good part was I got these 1/4 20 fasteners and you can put them where ever you want
Here's a better picture
15000566783581215887529.jpg

Can't remember what seller off ebay i got the shround from but is the "325" 1970-72 shroud
Radiator is the CC526

I have decided that I'm going to take a shot at fabricating one. Just going to use some sheet metal and rivets. Since deciding a few days ago, everywhere I look I think "I can make a fan shroud out of that" yesterday it was a catch pan for hot water heaters at Lowe's..

I have decided that I'm going to take a shot at fabricating one. Just going to use some sheet metal and rivets. Since deciding a few days ago, everywhere I look I think "I can make a fan shroud out of that" yesterday it was a catch pan for hot water heaters at Lowe's..

Look at this one. Its a Spectre part # 4348. It looks good. should work and not too expensive. I am gonna try it. Bought one at Oreillys the other day and with my discount only gave $21.00 for it.

Look at this one. Its a Spectre part # 4348. It looks good. should work and not too expensive. I am gonna try it. Bought one at Oreillys the other day and with my discount only gave $21.00 for it.
Well...did it fit?

Well...did it fit?

well not like I wanted it to so I took it back. It had 4 tabs. 2 on each side that looked like a bolt would go through and I thought it would mount to the shroud holes but the holes was where you would put the plastic ties through the radiator and I wasn't going to do that. So I have decided to just mount a 16" Spal pusher fan on the front and hook it into a relay so if I get in stop and go traffic it will come on at 195* and go off at 180*. A lot of controversy about this but I think it will work. I may just hook it up to a switch and flip it on if I get in traffic. That is the only time I see the temp rising.

-
Back