Fast and Loud Thinks Shelby Dakota is basically worthless???

-
The thing about those FWD Shelby cars is they do an EASY 13 sec quarter (can get MUCH quicker if you build them) and can get 25-30 MPG.

This is getting more and more common, but we're talikng about 30 years ago.
What else did either one of those things in the 80's? (let alone both)

I never understood a lot of the Shelby stuff. Especially in the 80's. I guy I use to work with collected them. In a way it was cool because he was picking them up for $2000.00 a piece. So I guess it was a cool little hobby. The only one I liked was the Omni GLH. For the most part it was all the same car. The 80's sucked for cars. I'm surprised their wasn't a Shelby K Car. Maybe there was?

Technically i dont think there WAS one on the K platform....but the Dodge Daytona, which Shelby did make several versions of was a G platform car, which is based off of the K. Also the Dodge Lancer, was on the H platform, which was just a stretched K car.

so technically no, But yes :D

I thimk the truck looked good, I would love for somebody to have gave it to me, Go-green just like my dart,also them goodlooking blackrims to set it off, Theres a shelby dakota on ebay right now bid is over 16000 thousand dollars buy now price 29000 which it won't make, My 99 dakota gets 19 in town 22 on the road with the v6 seems like i'm always saying this but man theres alot of mopar haters here

And to think I was kidding... :dontknow:

Attachments

• shelby-lancer.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 755
  • project-car-hell.jpg&maxW=630.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 480
I was in Dallas last week and me and a few friends went over to Gas Monkey Garage. There were signs all over the place saying that filming was in progress and that it was a closed set and to keep out. Well, we got nosey and just walked to the back shop. After looking around a bit, Richard drives up and is sitting in his truck talking on the phone. We got tired of waiting and started to walk away. Richard told us to hold on a bit so we did. When he got off the phone, we sat and talked for about 45 minutes. He seems to be a down to earth guy that is doing what he has to do to make a buck. He did tell us that the producers have him doing all kinds of stuff, so he is quite busy. He also let us take a sneak peak at the bike they were building for a biker build off against Jesse James and OCC. One thing that Richard said to us is that he doesn't want to be "That Guy", that does a show that starts out as building cars that anyone could pretty much build in their own garage, and wind up getting to big and building cars that are way out of scope for the average guy.

Sorry, Doc. But I never saw 25 MPG from my 3.9 ever. Not even on the highway on a long trip. If I was very ginger on the gas pedal, on a long internet drive, I might have made 19 mpg. Around town, is was closer to 15 or 16 mpg. I used to drive 101 miles to work each morning and another 101 home at the end of the day (not counting the driving I did during the course of the day and on weekends.

I filled the tank everyday, and changed the oil every 3 weeks. After a years I had 61,000 miles on it, and kept very close records of the money I spent on gas and oil, and maintenance, etc, because it was all tax deductible for me, but I had to prove what I was spending.

When I sold the 3.9 Dak and purchased the 318 Dak, I saw no appreciable difference in the cost of operation. My 318 Dak would do as well (or as poorly, depending on your point of view).

In fact, the only variance was the cost per gallon of gas, and someone at my insurance company noticed that the truck was a V8. which cost me an additional $118.00 per year. :roll:
what year mine was a 94 the 92 only got 21 when i didnt have my foot to the floor lol

I happen to be the guy that bought that green Shelby Dakota...

It was worth the $2500 I paid for it... It wasn't in as bad of shape as they made it out to be, they just didn't see enough profit in it to mess with it...

I have had a few Dakotas over the years, and happened to have a few spare parts for the Gen 1 Dakotas, so I figured it would make a decent toy... Especially since the transmission was unmolested (Shelby spec'd valve body, band levers, etc.), had a late LA block (Roller lifter block) with true flat-top pistons, and 3.90 LSD rear end...

It is a BEAST now! Threw on some ported Magnum heads, Hooker Super Comp full-Length headers, M1 intake, Crane Gold Race Rockers, Comp Cam, etc.

Kind of reminds me of the Millenium Falcon... "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Unfortunately she won't make point five past lightspeed."
jester.gif

Later!
Tom Slick

I like the first Gen Daks. I was never really not one who thought the Shelby was anything special.
On the other hand, I loved the idea of the convertible Daks.

It's value depends on what people are willing to pay for it. To me, Shelbys aren't worth any ore than a regular V6 or V8 Dakota. However, a convertible Dakota is worth more, in my opinion than any other Dakota. So trying to sell a Shelby Dakota to me for top dollar is a losing proposition, however, you can probably beat me up a little for a good convertible.

Love the1st gen Dakotas.A nice 5.2 or 5.9 Magnum swapped in,happy camper time.(Another FABO dead skeleton thread....)

i pretty much watch all the cars shows on tv i can find. i do have to grit my teeth to watch "chasing classic cars" with "wayne carrini" as i find that show seemingly geared toward the "arrogant" "mega-rich" "mechanically clueless" and generally "more money than brains" crowd. but that's just my opinion. and when i hear "wayne" "sharring" with us that he has to get dressed to attend "an invitation only" "pre-auction" "wine tasting" party sponsored by "bonnhams" at the annual "coveted" "monteray" "concoures" car aution i have to go to the fridge to get another beer. but... i do watch the show to see cars that i never knew existed.

here's my question about fast and loud... do people in texas really have that kind of money to pay for cars? every car richard sells he starts the bidding at $50k and then "drops the price" finally to $40k - for a car that would sell in pittsburgh for MAYBE $25-30k. i guess there is just a lot of people with a lot of money in texas willing to pay whatever the price is for the car they think they want. frankly, i watch a lot of car autions on tv and richard is getting more for the cars he's selling than what the same cars are selling for at the autions. i guess the best example i've seen so far on fast and loud were the "million dollar" pair of basic firebirds that were suppose to be the "first and second firebirds built." wow... a person could have bought 4 boss 429 mustangs for what those firebirds were suppose to be worth.

the last thing that amazes me about fast and loud is how much CASH these guys walk around with. richard (or someone) is always throwing 2 or 3 HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLAR cubes of cash across his desk! what business does that!? because of the Patriot Act after 911, anyone walking around with more than $10k in cash is a target for a "stop and frisk" by the FBI. and all banks in the U.S. now have to report ALL cash transactions of over $10k. i don't know how richard's bank deals with his behavior.

yea, to me "car behavior" in texas seems to be quite different than what it is on the east coast.

So 2500 for a roller 318, a sure grip rear and a mild transmission wrapped in an ugly truck? ... Not a deal I wish they had gone the extra mile and made it something people would want. Come to think of it absolutely none of the Shelby stuff after 67-68 was worth a ****.

I happen to own a Shelby Dakota, Bought it new and love it. If you have never owned one then you don't what your talking about. I would ten times rather own my Shelby than your car. I am not calling your car a piece. I just don't like it. Its just another dart. Mine runs great and to me looks good. I am not bashing your ride and calling it a piece of **** so why do you have to get on here and talk bad about a somebody ride you know nothing about.

I've owned two of them in the past. And was disappointed in both. My point wasn't to tramp on your feelings, so you can go ahead and put that behind you. My point is I feel like Shelby could have done more with the trucks that would have made them much more popular. But its almost as if they were just like "eh throw this on there and that on there slap Shelby on it and sell it " I didn't say they were pieces of **** I said they weren't really worth a ****. As an owner you know that as well as the next guy that although a 67 Shelby gt500 mustang optioned properly is a car that is well into the six figure range. The same can't be said about the Shelby Dakotas the whole Shelby program with dodge was a bust yeah they are slightly more desirable than a plain old dodge but not by much.

So here is my take. I bought a Shelby Dakota a few years ago. 100K miles, needed a bed due to an accident. Replaced bed, painted the truck, new decals, it looked great. Took it to Richmond Dragway one Friday night. It ran 15.30 3 times in a row. There were ss chevy suv's there running 12's on street tires. I felt like an idiot. Then a couple of years later carrol is on tv crying about how he was back at ford and was so happy to be back. Chrysler and Lee bailed his *** out when he was done and he could care less about the Chrysler and Dodge Shelbys. So I drive the truck for a while longer and it was all I could do to get 4k out of the truck after all my work. Down to the metal paint job, new nos parts, 2 owner truck, low serial number and it ain't worth the cash I put into it. Don't read this wrong, I liked the truck. But no value and it's not fast at all. And carrol was sorry he left ford. So that is my 2 cents worth.

i had an other name for them, but they allready call them selves monkeys. any one that will put a chevy engine in to 64 dodge pick up truly are LESS than monkeys.

Back from the dead.......

Something I didn't see mentioned in the first 4 pages of this thread, is that during the late 80's and early 90's, it was all the rage to drop a small block chevy engine in an s-10.

It was literally a bolt in but it wasn't offered from the factory.

What Shelby did with the Dak was to basically offer a factory version of this.

i had an other name for them, but they allready call them selves monkeys. any one that will put a chevy engine in to 64 dodge pick up truly are LESS than monkeys.
My feelings exactly. After they took a real decent truck, and threw another damn crate GM in, cheaped out is what they did there, I lost a lot for the show right then. And they did knowing darn well they could get more by keeping it all Mopar..... Go figure?

My feelings exactly. After they took a real decent truck, and threw another damn crate GM in, cheaped out is what they did there, I lost a lot for the show right then. And they did knowing darn well they could get more by keeping it all Mopar..... Go figure?

Appealing to the masses.

Kind of like all the "hot rodder" shows. Go big time on the body and paint, custom interior, and then go as cheap as possible between the front frame rails by putting in a SBC crate engine. Never could figure that out.

That episode is when I started referring to the show as "*** Monkey"

I've owned two of them in the past. And was disappointed in both. My point wasn't to tramp on your feelings, so you can go ahead and put that behind you. My point is I feel like Shelby could have done more with the trucks that would have made them much more popular. But its almost as if they were just like "eh throw this on there and that on there slap Shelby on it and sell it " I didn't say they were pieces of **** I said they weren't really worth a ****. As an owner you know that as well as the next guy that although a 67 Shelby gt500 mustang optioned properly is a car that is well into the six figure range. The same can't be said about the Shelby Dakotas the whole Shelby program with dodge was a bust yeah they are slightly more desirable than a plain old dodge but not by much.
agree with most of this . money makers they are not but fun hell yes . i want anuther dak but the name is all your paying for just give me any 1st gen dak and im good lol
heres my old one would i have traded it foR a Shelby nope

Attachments

• 33930250021_large.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 142
Appealing to the masses.

Kind of like all the "hot rodder" shows. Go big time on the body and paint, custom interior, and then go as cheap as possible between the front frame rails by putting in a SBC crate engine. Never could figure that out.

I have no issue with the SBC, if it's used in GM truck. In my opinion each of the mfgrs, have V8 crate engines worthy of being placed in performance vehicles of the same brand.
Hotrodding is one thing. SBC in 32 Fords, are fine ( although I'd prefer either an early Hemi, or a more exotic Ford engine like an old Ford 427, or a Cammer), but installing a relatively nondescript CSB into a late model Dodge or ford just seems to be a bigger waste of time, effort, and money, than anything else.

I have been having fun with the Shelby... I've also got a 96 Dakota... both are fun toys and didn't break the bank!

The transmission is more wild than mild... shifts nice and hard!

I'm also a purist... gm motors go in gm vehicles, ford in fords, mopar in mopar.

Later!
Tom Slick

-
Back